An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Rise of Addiction in Today's Youth

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by gracer, Feb 12, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Whenever I watch our local news, there would always be a report about teenagers being caught by authorities due to drug use or drug dealing. They seem to be getting younger and younger with time. It breaks my heart to see these youngsters waste their life because of drugs and substances.

Although I have had my share of alcohol use when I was younger, I'm glad I was able to recover from it and find a better life now.

These youngsters still have a promising life ahead of them and I hope they get to see it soon with the help of concerned people.

What do you think should be done by concerned groups and authorities to help these kids find their way back to the right path?
  2. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Ah but we have to ask ourselves a very important question.
    Are more youths using drugs, or are we hearing more about youths using drugs?
    Today's media is 24/7 and very profit driven, they report and report and report on all these negative things and it was not always like this.
    BUT kids also have access to all kinds of new drugs and can even get them from the internet now. Plus they can use their smartphones to talk to the pushers, where as in my day if I wanted drugs I had to actually go find the guy.
    gracer likes this.
  3. 6up

6up Community Champion

Many children have been influenced by the songs they listen to. Most parents have never taken interest on what their children do or the type of songs they listen to. Nowadays we hear some artists praising their behavior of taking drugs and being violent. That has affected the young minds who tend to do as per what is said in those songs. Others have confirmed to have been influenced by their friends or relatives. Parents have to advice their children on the effects of alcohol and other drugs if we want them to live a drug free life.
    gracer likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

We have to educate our youth about drugs and alcohol. Knowledge is power.
    gracer likes this.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think everything must start at home, the most long lasting and important lessons should start right there. I know that it wasn't because my mom used to warn me about the effects of hard drugs, it's very likely I'd not even here right now. I'm so glad I never messed with heroine or meth! The most important talk you can ever have with your children, you should never let anyone else have this talk with your kids.
    gracer likes this.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think these days everyone is more connected but less connected, if that makes sense. We have so many ways of virtually communicating, but how often do we literally sit down with our loved ones and have a face to face conversation? Not all that often, I would sadly venture to say. I think this is a big reason why there's a disconnect these days, and people try to fill the void and loneliness with drugs and alcohol.
    gracer likes this.
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I believe that no matter how a parent keep on reminding and educating their children about the bad effects of any kind of addiction in their life there are still chances that they might encounter this things because of some factors like the kind of environment they are exposed to and also like the kind of peer groups or set of friends that they belong. And also as long as there are those that manufacture and advertise this kind of toxic substances like alcohol and cigarette our youths will always be tempted to try using this substances.
    gracer likes this.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

More fact-based drug education would probably be the answer and we might also need legislation to muffle all this pro-drug messages in movies on TV and elsewhere. Kids are impressionable. If their "idol" uses drugs in a movie they'll think it's cool and they too will might start using drugs to be as "cool" as everyone else.
    gracer likes this.
  9. johnyork

johnyork Active Contributor

By looking at drug addiction from an evolutionary perspective, we may understand its underlying significance and evaluate its three-fold nature: biology, psychology, and social influences. In this investigation it is important to delve into the co-evolution of mammalian brains and ancient psychotropic plants. Gaining an understanding of the implications of ancient psychotropic substance use in altering mammalian brains will assist in assessing the causes and effects of addiction in a modern-day context. By exploring addiction in this manner, we may move towards more effective treatment early prevention, treating the root of the issue rather than the symptoms.
    gracer likes this.
  10. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, I think kids and drugs are no new thing. In fact we as human beings seem to have a need to alter on consciousness. This was something that started almost as soon as history. Lets face it life is tough, and people young and old use substances to take the edge off. I mean drug education and positive modeling will help though.
    gracer likes this.
  11. gracer

I get your point kassie. :) We do have a lot of tools to communicate nowadays but we don't really communicate the way we should. Some people think that communicating through phone or video calls are enough but they fail to see that a good face to face talk is also important to let our children know that we are here for them in every step of their lives.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  12. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

I agree with the point that we are just hearing more about such incidents because of social media and 24/7 news.

The solution is to make theses things- drugs, smoking, etc look uncool. We have to remember that there was a time in America when the majority of adults used to smoke, today less than 20% smoke. So, awareness campaigns do work. Its just that we have to redefine "cool" and "fun". I prefer kids using Virtual Reality to "hallucinate" than to use some drug. There are always fun non-narcotic options out there.

Plus, legalizing substances is a nice way to ensure that better quality substances reach people and are not sold to some kid who's not even 15 yet.
    gracer likes this.
  13. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I think this is the case. Drug abuse is nothing new...and we do have access to the world 24/7 with the internet and cable television where we have access to bad new all the time. I don't think anything has changed except technology.
    gracer likes this.
  14. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I don't think there is a rise of addiction in todays youth. Addiction was always there but reporting was less. After the rise of online media and social media revolution, news related to drug abuse and deaths due to drug have found a way to get in front of general people.
    gracer likes this.
  15. gracer

I guess the easy access to information that we are enjoying right now also contributes to our exposure to the truth that addiction has always been a big and still a growing problem of our society. There is not a day that I don't see someone being arrested because of drug use or dealing in the news. The government sets new laws and regulations to alleviate this problem but they're still not enough to eradicate the problem of addiction.
  16. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It's sad and it's so glorified in entertainment in our culture. Youth think it's just the cool thing to do and they get too curious.
    gracer likes this.
  17. abacabb

abacabb Member

Proper education and communication are key to combating addiction in youth(or in general). I remember growing up thinking "drugs are bad" "pills are bad" etc etc, and that addicts were the scum of the earth, because of the poor education I had concerning drugs in general. My mom was an addict who lied to me, and I simply had no proper clue what these "medications" could do to me.

If I had been properly educated... if I had even an inkling of a clue...

Educate the younger folk. Let them know the dangers, and the agony of addiction.
    gracer likes this.
  18. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Education and knowledge is one of the most powerful guns that we can have, but sometimes is not enough... In order to chage how people (especially young ones) perceive drugs we need to change the whole system, from televition to popular culture, from social media to movies... is not an easy thing to do, but I think that the only thing that can be done is inform young people and try to make them less vulnerable to the influence of society.
    gracer likes this.
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

In some cases or news, kids are being used to deliver or sell drugs because they are less to be suspected and can easily get away with the law. I think kids should be guided well through proper education and responsible parents and solve the problem of poverty.
    djdrug and gracer like this.