An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Serenity Prayer!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Daniel Lucky, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference just
    for today!

Living one day at a time;
    Enjoying one moment at a time;
    Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
    Taking, as He did, this sinful world
    as it is, not as I would have it;
    Trusting that He will make all things right
    if I surrender to His Will;
    That I may be reasonably happy in this life
    and supremely happy with Him
    Forever in the next.
    Amen.
    kassie1234, karmaskeeper and tasha like this.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

That's great you're sharing that. It's a solemn prayer. This should be used as either opening or closing prayer at rehab centers. I think more than anything, rehab centers should inject spiritual and meditation aspects to their programs. I see some that do and some that tend to do away with praying altogether.
  3. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

Thank you so much for this wonderful prayer that you shared. I am in a tough situation right now and you didn't know how this can help me. God bless your soul.
    Daniel Lucky likes this.
  4. Daniel Lucky

No problem, that is the reason I had placed it on here. I believe that prayer works. Sometimes we get down and it seems like all hope and joy is gone. It seems like no one can comfort you and you really need that touch a divine touch and I believe that through prayer out healing is there if we just go to God!
  5. There is another poem by Ellen Hopkins and the "monster" is crack. The poem is from the book "Crank". I just think it's a really relevant poem for drug addicts and it's so sad. The book is a good read and really gets you thinking.

Just Before The Drop
    You know how you
    stand and stand and stand
    in line for the most
    gigantic incredible roller
    coaster
    you’ve ever dared attempt.

Anticipation swelling,
    minute by minute by minute,
    you choose to wait even
    longer, to ride in the front
    car
    and finally it’s your turn.

They buckle you in, lock the
    safety bar with a jolting clunk!
    Hook engaged, the chain jerks
    you forward. You start to
    climb
    Crank-crank-crank.

Cresting the top, time
    moves into overtime
    as you wait for that scant
    hesitation, just before you
    drop

You know how you feel
    at that instant? Well, that’s
    exactly how it feels when you
    shake hands with the
    monster.
    Joseph likes this.
  6. jackslivi

jackslivi Active Contributor

I am so glad to see someone posting this!!!! I hope this helps so many people because with God they can. I just want to thank you so much for posting this. It is great to know that God's word is being spread in more ways than one. I may have to find another verse for everyone one here too. Again, thank you for posting!
    Daniel Lucky likes this.
  7. Daniel Lucky

No problem, I am just trying to give encouragement to those who need it the most. I was once an addict and struggled daily with many addictions that made my life hell. I looked to my higher power which is God, and I am absolutely not trying to force my beliefs on any one, but share what got me through. Prayer is what helps daily and honestly spending time doing positive things which is helping at my church. This did sp much putting good people in my life it gave me a new support system. My recovery story can be any ones! Good luck!
    jackslivi likes this.
  8. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

This is fantastic and inspiring!! Faith can move mountains when you finally find it. Sometimes being so lost and so far down can make it hard to find the light and a way forward but something so inspiring can give you hope and understanding that there is a God and there is hope and there is a way out of the dark.
    jackslivi likes this.
  9. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I do pray, sometimes the words don't even matter, we just sit in silence and ask what we need to our heart, those prayers are heard for sure.
    jackslivi likes this.
  10. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

This is my favorite part. I like that it's so relevant to the recovery process, while at the same time, it's applicable in all situations. Anyone who has ever undergone any kind of problem can relate to it. Though I understand why so many recovery programs use this particular prayer. :)
  11. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Nice to see people sharing inspirational stuff. We've created a special home for it, and we hope to see more of it. Moving to the Inspiration and Encouragement forum.
  12. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

When I went to rehab over 4 years ago. I was given a copy of the whole pray as you have posted here. It's still taped to my bedroom wall to this day. I dare not take it down it serves as a reminder. I have been sober since my first and only trip to rehab. That prayer came home with me. I said it every single day for several years I still know it by heart. I don't say it every day anymore, but I sure wish I did. It only takes a minute to say it to myself and it gives me peace and hope.

As a recovering alcoholic I know I will never be out of the woods. It truly is one day at a time for me. Armed with a heartfelt desire to get sober and the serenity pray I fought my demons and won. I would recommend anyone on the road to recovery or anyone that wants to get sober keep that pray close, and say as much as you want. It really did help me.
    Joseph likes this.
  13. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

The serenity prayer has always been a great inspiration for me. It's very easy to forget what we can and can't do, and to lose focus as we try to work out both. The more we adopt the principals of the prayer, the more we can be empowered to implement the things we need to do and to ignore what we shouldn't be wasting our time with.
  14. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Active Contributor

Interesting prayer, why did you post this here - it seems inspirational but I personally am not a fan of prayer / religion.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good words of hope, very inspirational. :)
    I do believe that prayers do work, there are just times we are not aware that prayers are already answered in God's own way or will.
  16. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I'm not real big on religion, and I don't attend church very often. I do however pray, and scan the bible from time to time. It for me was just a form of staying focused on getting and staying sober. The prayer was a part of my daily life in the beginning of this very difficult time. It made a difference it was a reminder of where I had been, and where I needed to be in my life.
  17. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Sometimes, all I can say is, "help," but I know He hears.

I never knew the rest of the serenity prayer, only the first portion posted, so thank you for posting the rest, Daniel. Even that part has always offered a lot of guidance for me, as I work hard at not being a control freak.

"Let go, and let God" is another good one.
  18. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Sometimes if we just stay in silence and look inside we know what we need and even when we don't verbalize it I am sure help comes, we just need to really want it and make an effort to make it real.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

The serenity prayer. It's a good one. I can think of someone who this prayer is their favorite but they actually don't understand the prayer or even make an attempt to utilize it. I guess they've just memorized it and haven't actually comprehended what it means or how to apply that. "the wisdom to know the difference".
  20. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Every time I see the serenity prayer it reminds me of my granny who had a copy of it stuck on her fridge. She has suffered with anxiety for big portions of her life and I think it reminds her to just focus on what she can impact, and not worry about the rest.