An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The smell of tobacco.

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Joethefirst, Nov 13, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

The smell of cigarette smoke grosses me out, and cigars can be nasty as well. Pipe smoke usually smells good. Vape smoke, I don't really notice too much...but some people who use vape devices blow some really dramatic clouds of smoke. I do notice those.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not a smoker and I do not like the smell of it. The smell of it is enough to make me cough and feel irritated. It could give headaches too.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

The worst is the stale smell of tobacco left in homes when people smoke in their houses. It is such a gross and horrible smell. I would rather walk through a cloud of someone's smoke than have to smell the leftover smell in a house.
  4. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I don't really know or have known someone that could really vouch for the smell... it's quite bad. Not only does it impregnate on your fingers and clothes, but that smell impregnates in your mouth, blocking the purpose of taste buds, and well, not allowing you to taste food anymore. I quit due to health reasons, but I also despised the smoke so much. I wanted to vomit, as odd as it might sound.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

These days the smell makes me nauseous, to the point I feel like I could throw up. Back when I was a smoker I guess I didn't notice the smell all that much. That could be partially because my sense of smell was lessened so much by smoking, though!
  6. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

The smell of dip absolutely makes me want to throw u yet I do it anyways, it gives me chills every time. So no, i do not like the smell!
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I used to smoke before but now not anymore. I find the smell of cigarettes tolerable, but after being exposed to if for a prolonged period of time I start to be unable to stand it.
  8. MsLucy

MsLucy Active Contributor

I love the smell of tobacco. I often smell my cigarette or bag of tobacco before rolling or lighting it. I would probably smoke more if the scent before lighting it were the same as the scent I inhale. I find a lot of people that don't indulge also like the aroma.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I understand that the Snell of smoke can be unpleasant, and especially to a lot of ex-smokers but I do feel as though some take their reactions too far just to make them feel superior.

I've known some ex-smokers fake having a coughing fit as they're walking past a smoker as if to say "you're filthy and disgusting" and that infuriates me, when only 6 months ago they was stood next to you, smoking more than you!
  10. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I never liked the smell when I smoked and I dislike it even more now that I stopped smoking. It's a pretty putrid smell no matter the context for me. I just can't stand the smell of it and especially getting the smell stuck around the house or on clothing.
  11. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I know a few of my friends who are trying to quit and they say just smelling it is a huge trigger for them. I couldn't imagine walking around the city and smelling it all day or having co-workers who go for breaks and come back smelling like the smoke. It must be so hard to quit.
  12. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

But that smell of a cigarette right after someone lights it? Still heavenly to me, even though I quit smoking 25+ years ago.
  13. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I guess this is one of those things that vary from people to people, some former smokers might actually like the smell, but others might not like it at all. I've met people who can't even stand the sight of a cigarette, let alone the smell of it. I smoked for a while, but never became an addict to it. I personally dislike the smell.
  14. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Yes, it is true. For the general smokers, the smell would be common but for a non-smoker or a ex-smoker, the smell is very unique or different if seen from their point of view and that is the main reason why the ex-smokers love the smell of cigars.
  15. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm an ex-smoker and I can't stand the smell of cigars. I get physically ill when I smell cigar smoke. But maybe I'm just different.
  16. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

I personally like tobacco's smell, it is similar to marijuana's smell, it is not bad to love smells as long as you dont try to fall in the same hole then everything is all right.
  17. rajesh

I my opinion, the smell carries the 'aroma' of the cigar and it can be harmful to your health. What do you think about it?
  18. rajesh

Do you really get physically ill when you smell the cigars? Well, it's very uncommon. Have your tried to find out the reason behind this?
  19. rajesh

If you are unable to handle it, that means you have successfully got rid of the addiction. Am I right? One one my friends used to love cigars and after he got rid of the addiction, he started hating the smell!
  20. serenity

serenity Community Champion

A big yes! My bro loves to smoke, and when he was smoking in the vicinity I can smell the smoke, and I felt sick, like it was harming my nose and body. I think that's pretty common if you aren't addicted anymore.