An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The spiritual way

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Gelsemium, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

When I stopped consuming drugs I started to read some esoteric books or new wage as some prefer to call them. The main thing here was that they kept me away from the addiction and to be honest I think that they made me a better person. Each one has it's own way to follow right, as long as it's away from drugs. ;)
    amethyst likes this.
  2. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Hi Gelsemium. I like what you did. Getting yourself a worthwhile pursuit that really interests you and most importantly, has kept you away from drugs. And I completely agree with you that each of us can resort to various diversions to help us avoid substance abuse. I've seen family members engage themselves in hobbies and interests that helped them stop or even just lessen their consumption. And it is really amazing! I've recently seen my brother-in-law who used to be a meth addict. He has really changed for the better. He looks healthy and carries an aura of positivity around him. It radiates in the way he talks and mingles with us. :) Right now, he and my sister-in-law (my husband's sister) are on an extended out-of-the-country holiday vacation. I am just so happy that they've patched things up. This is what happens when a person does the right things and is in his/her right frame of mind.

Congratulations to you and may you keep strong and focused on your goal to be drug-free!
    Gelsemium likes this.
  3. Gelsemium

Thank you notodrugs, the fact is that it kept me busy for some years and I left all that bad lifestyle behind. So who says spiritual life or way can say anything else that leads us away from those bad habits.
    notodrugs likes this.
  4. 003

003 Community Champion

You have to be destructed for you to not remember even your sources of pleasure. And reading spiritual books or doing spiritual practices is among the ways to make you destructed. But even better, because they make you feel like you are a good person. Moreover, they make you feel that there's always someone out there who's willing to support you and who's always at your back to catch you when you fall. Being spiritual, not only brings you closer to your inner self, but it also paves the way that you become closer to other people through the goodness and assurance that being spiritual evokes from you.
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I did the same thing, Gelsemium. I need to find new angles and new strength in life that I could only find within myself. I needed to expand my horizons on many levels and open new doors. When I stopped drinking, I began to realize how really empty I had felt inside myself for such a long time. I needed to fill that emptiness with new light, creativity and explorations beyond this world.
  6. Gelsemium

Yeah, I know what you mean. In fact, I stopped because I realize there was something more to life than addiction, it was in fact my motivation to stop, I saw that I could not live the two lives at the same time.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've heard a bit about the new age movement and for sure that their teachings can change people.

As you say, different strategies work for different people. Believing in a higher power has helped you to beat your addiction and I'm sure others who may be willing to give a try may not find it disappointing either. Embrace the faith and never let go.

Kudos for beating the addiction.
  8. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

Great post. Are there any books you would recommend? I've been interested in the spiritual aspect of recovery recently, how when you are at peace you don't need or really want to do drugs/ alcohol.
  9. Gelsemium

Thanks guys, there are tons of good books, I recall for example a book called Sidharta, a nice one to get our inquietations going. :)
  10. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

I remember that I asked God to give me the will power to stop drinking. I had tried everything else without success. On that particular day it was 5 am in the morning and the public bus I was traveling in was hijacked. Thugs were posing as passengers and I am so thankful that they did not hurt us after stealing from us; that is many years back. Congrats that you have found a way to remain clean. It is the best gift you can give to yourself.
  11. I think that a spiritual approach can really help some. If you believe in a greater power, you can feel hope even if you yourself feel a bit helpless. I'm sure it helps to think there is someone else out there who wants to help you.
  12. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

The spiritual approach only works if it's really meant from the heart. If you're doing it just for the sake of doing something it's most likely not going to work, so you have to do it with conviction and honesty. Going to a church and asking the minister for guidance would probably be the best way to achieve this.
  13. Gelsemium

No question there Julian, but that is why it's so important to grab something that we love, only when we do something we are passionate about we will leave the addiction behind.