An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The stuggle that comes with quitting

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by misskrystal1982, Sep 25, 2015.

1. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

My husband quit smoking for my birthday last year. He did it completely cold turkey, and it was rough on the whole family.
    I thought I would share our experience here to help others.
    See the first couple weeks were rough, but tolerable. His willpower was strong, and he knew what he wanted to do. That was all great. We kept sunflower seeds on hand, along with peanuts and gum. Anything that allowed him to keep his mouth occupied was good. We all knew he was working through it, so we did our best to keep this in mind at all times. If he was getting angry, we would let him have his space. He would cool down and things would be fine.
    I have to say, it was right at the month mark it became the worst. For about a week he was horrible. Snapping at everyone, yelling all the time. It was not the same man I married. At one point I said, "I can't take this anymore!" I couldn't do anything right in his eyes. The kids had to pretty much stick to their rooms for a couple days. I didn't want him to yell at them and really hurt their feelings when I knew it wasn't him talking. They knew it too, which was great.
    Once we got past those few days, we were home free. After he was smoke free for three months he started realizing how gross the smell is. He could suddenly smell it on other people when they would walk by him in the store. He never realized how much the smell would cling to a person. He is big about how he smells, so I think that was a big eye opener for him.

So anyone out there that is wanting to quit, or has tried and given up... Don't. Just when you get to the roughest part, you are almost free. Don't give up and don't give in.
  2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Thankyou for sharing your experience. It is hard to give up something you may have been doing for a long time. I know some people have tried going cold turkey and failed. Though for those who are thinking about going the cold turkey route can atleast read here about what to expect. Besides the behavior change, have you noticed how much money your husband has been able to save since it's not being spent on cigs anymore?
  3. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Contributor

Definitely! I let him keep that extra money for things like snacks at work or things like a new fishing pole. I told him he earned it!
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Giving up is hard to do as I'm sure all smokers know. I'm a smoker myself who ad tried to quit many times and I still haven't been able to fully.

I have gone from 30+ a day to maybe 5 a day at most, but I still haven't been able to give up completely. What makes it worse for me is I live on my women with no family so I've not got that incentive to give up completely.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Congratulations on your husband for being smoke free. That is a huge accomplishment. I am glad he is past the part were he was hard to tolerate. That happens you just have to hang in there. I am trying to get my partner to quit but he won't. He keeps saying he is going to someday but yet every time he mentions it he seems to start smoking more. Maybe someday I will be able to share with you all that he is smoke free. Fingers crossed!
  6. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

That's a nice story! I'm glad your husband managed to quit his addiction and be a free man again, congratulations!

It's pretty sad that the addiction which is considered "the lesser of all evils" can cause so much pain and be so hard to get rid of. People always talk about how dangerous hard drugs, like meth and cocaine are, but don't realize that cigarettes are also horrible and mostly ignore the fact. This should be a wake up call to every smoker here.
  7. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

Thank you for sharing. Your husband's experience is encouraging, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought his withdrawal symptoms sounded familiar. When I go a few days without smoking my mood turns sour, too. I lash out at people or isolate myself, because everyone and everything seems to irritate me. It's a herculean feat to get through those last few weeks, and I'm happy that your husband and family were able to stand firm and accomplish it.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Keeping healthy snacks around is the best thing you can do for someone who is trying to quit. Although expensive, go to a health food store like Trader Joes and stock up on different kinds of snack mixes. You can temp your tastebuds by not eating the same snack all of the time and have something to look forward to. Top this off with ice water.
  9. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Congratulations that your story had a happy ending to it! That's the perfect example of not giving up after a few obstacles and still pushing through with abstaining from it. Look at him now, he is clean and a better person!
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is really motivating. Your story will give more hope and inspiration to those who are suffering from withdrawal symptoms as well as to their families. You never failed until you quit trying.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

Great. I've always said that if someone really, really wants to quit smoking, the only way to go is cold turkey. Cutting down is just that, cutting down. But as long as you keep blowing smoke, no matter how minimal, or if you're only smoking electric cigarettes, you'll never quit.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

That's a massive accomplishment and I'm glad you illustrated to people how tough it can be - but it's still able to be overcome!

Your husband is lucky to have your unwavering support! I'm sure you were a big part of his success!
  13. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well good to hear that your husband has finally managed to stop smoking! It is always great when we have people to depend on for emotional support during our tough battle against addiction.
  14. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I think this was some great advice. I think you should be proud of your husband. Your kids are super heros in my opinion. I think if they stuck it out and knew it was not there daddy doing these things, then they are very strong kids. I think you have gone and proven that an addiction, no matter what the addiction is, is not just the issue of the addicted, but the addicts family and most often friends also.
  15. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Great words of encouragement and advice. It's true that things usually become extremely tough and people end up giving up just before the point of success. Those who are persistent and fight their way through it usually find out that success was just around the corner and yet many of them lose motivation and determination just before it comes. Persistence is the key.
  16. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Yeah I think the time to really hang in there is when it gets rough. The idea with the gum and sunflower seeds sounds like it might work. I also heard that mint helps with the cravings also. Quitting cold turkey has to be really ruff, it's a good thing he has strong will power. As long as you don't stop trying you can definitely break this habit.