An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The US Supreme Court throws out lawsuit against Colorado over marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by explorerx7, Mar 22, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

Last Monday the US Supreme Court rejected a lawsuit which was filed against Colorado by 2 neighbouring states, Oklahoma and Nebraska. They filed in opposition to a law which was approved by Colorado voters through the ballot that allows recreational use of marijuana. The two opposing states argued that the health and safety of their children were being jeopardised by incidences of smuggling of marijuana from Colorado across their borders.
    The decision is said to be a victory for Colorado, the Federal Government and marijuana advocates, all of whom had urged the court not to take up the case
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Whether recreational marijuana was legal or not in Colorado that wouldn't make that huge a difference because marijuana has been sold illegally by unregistered dealers for decades. Legalization sure does make it easier for people to buy marijuana but even in states where it is illegal, as long you know someone who uses marijuana they could connect you with those who sell the drug.

So though the lawsuit was thrown out if Oklahoma and Nebraska want to fight legal marijuana they should do so with more drug education. That's what will help. Not lawsuits.
  3. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Interesting... my thoughts. Maybe these two states just wanted to use the lawsuit just to make a point of their opposition. Recreational use as opposed to medicinal use is a big difference I'd say when it comes down to legalizing a substance known to be abused.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I had the same though, who are they trying to trick with that' lol? For reals? It just sounds like they don't agree with this at all, and want to force Colorado do their biding. Not cool, I mean, I don't support marijuana usage (only when truly needed, ie: pain management, cancer patients, etc.) but who are those two states trying to trick?
  5. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

The sky isn't falling in Colorado and they are bringing in a boatload of tax revenue from marijuana sales. Oh my goodness save the kids lol. In a few years, Nebraska and Oklahoma will be jumping on the gravy train.