An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Wild World of Fame

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Deeishere, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

I like to watch this program called, Unsung. It features people who use to be famous and what they are doing now or how they died. It’s really amazing to see how so many of them get right into drugs when they get to the top. I have heard of some of them having “handlers,” who control and handle their life. I think of Michael Jackson and how he was able to get certain drugs to help him sleep. It makes me wonder why be famous if it leads to this downward spiral.
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I guess it is the pressure they face being celebrities. They have too much to do and so much is expected of them; they barely rest and get a good night sleep. They now turn to drugs for relief which is a wrong move.

Fame comes with a lot of sacrifices and challenges; I wouldn't trade my life with that of a celebrity.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I can say with certainty that I don't think I would ever want to be famous! It's such a hard situation where you're under the spotlight all the time, being constantly judged and under intense scrutiny - it's not something I would want to sign myself up for. I feel for people that want to share their talents with the world but end up getting caught up in the dark side of fame.
  4. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

There are many reasons why that happens. But, its really about the amount of free money that people have. Some people invest and ensure that they don't have liquid money. This ensures that they stay away from bad habits or at least control how much they spend on such habits. On the other hand, there are a lot of people who keep money easily available and so they simply run out of patience anytime they feel the urge to do drugs. This vicious cycle continues until they meet their maker.
  5. Geeka

Geeka Member

I do think it's from the pressure as well. And I don't think this affects all celebrities. As a matter of fact, it is the very "handler" that each celebrity has and how much they themselves are able to deal with individually that results to this. Take Britney Spears, for example. Not that I was a fan, but it's sad to see such a young girl losing it to the mass limelight.
  6. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I think that when people have a lot of money, they don't really know what to do with it. It's really easy to develop a lot of bad habits when one has got a lot of money to spare.
  7. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

Rich and famous people are quite often surrounded by an entourage, who don't really care about them, they care about the money and getting as much of it as they can. They're unlikely to tell their source of money that they should take care of their drug consumption, no matter what the drug is. I feel a little sorry for people who've made it big and are surrounded by leeches like that, everybody will bend over backwards to keep them happy, but no-one really cares about them in the long run.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I do accept that celebrities are under a certain amount of pressure, and they can get detached from the real world, is it really an excuse to turn to drink and drugs?

Real pressure us having to work 2 jobs, scrimp and save to keep a roof over your head and food on the table, that's real pressure, so when I hear celebrities saying they turned to drugs because they felt like they couldn't go for a coffee in peace, I don't really have much sympathy.
  9. L_B

L_B Community Champion

There are so many pressures to being famous and even though people want it at first they soon realize the cost of it all. Sure they have fame and fortune but most of them have no life. They can't go out anywhere without being harrassed and everybody watching your every mood. They have so much money that it is easy to pick up those bad habits and numb their pain. It isn't all glamorous and fun. It comes at a huge cost.
  10. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

When these people are on their way to stardom they are usually unaware of the pressures that may have to encounter to be successful and be able to continue being that way. They go into the process totally unprepared for the challenges they have to face and this leads them to turn to addictive sources to enable to face up to face up to the realities.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The work many celebrities do is pretty hard. And stressful and they start using drugs to cope with the stress. Initially. It gets to be a habit and the addiction gets to be very hard to beat. While many judge such celebrities harshly, if they were to walk a mile in their shoes they'd understand. But I'm by no means saying it's OK to start using drugs to deal with stress. There are better ways to do beat stress/depression.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I think it's more to do with the fact that drugs are often used in the celebrity lifestyle in order to be more productive, especially at first. As someone mentioned above, it's all about big money and so celebrities will be surrounded by people who want them to be as productive as possible. The only real stress they have is long hours and attention from the press - I doubt they would turn to drugs because of that. However, lots of celebrities don't have many worries or cares and live the care-free celebrity lifestyle too (i.e. parties, cocaine, etc). Many of them do it because they are free to do whatever they want to do.
  13. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I don't think being famous leads to a downward spiral. Everyone has to deal with struggles in Life. The problem is that celebrities have there problems amplified because there in the public eye. One little thing that happens in there life get's blown way out of proportion. The stress and abundance of whatever drugs they can get might fuel addictions. If someone is focused and has the right outlook on life fame won't effect them in a negative way at all.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

There are also more celebrities that don't use drugs than ones that do aswell don't forget, so as with us normal people, some can just cope with life and whatever pressures that might bring, a lot better than others.
  15. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Interesting. I have never heard of the "handlers", but it only figures. Imagine depending on one of them, handing over your health, sanity and money to another person or organization that will "handle" your addiction/s for you.
    It's sad that we've lost some rather unique actors and artists in recent times to drugs. I am thinking of Philip Seymour-Hoffman, Robin Williams and others who entertained us with their originality and even changed the ways we think.
    I truly miss those great performers. There was still so much that they had to express and give.
  16. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

It seems that there is a high price to pay with fame. Not only is there a loss of privacy, but many individuals completely lose themselves too. This is so very sad and I have to agree that it is not worth it. I think you really need to be grounded and have excellent support who will help keep you in place. it is no wonder so many walk away from the famous lifestyle, while others are swallowed up.
  17. LovesBigFool

LovesBigFool Active Contributor

I agree that real pressure is found more in a normal day to day life. That pressure is often directly related to survival itself. We need a place to live and food to eat, etc. Add to that having to care for children as the pressure is pretty intense.

However, I think celebrities are under a different kind of pressure. They have to worry so much about making a mistake, become known as a fool or a failure probably haunts them deep down inside there minds. It is a mental stressor to be liked and even loved by tons of strangers who think buying a ticket also means buying a piece of some star or other.
    pwarbi likes this.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Somehow, reading your post, I'm reminded of Gilderoy Lockhart, a central character in the second Harry Potter book, Chamber of Secrets. When he told Harry, "Fame is a fickle friend...", he couldn't have been more correct. Only people who have overcome their insecurities and know what they're getting into can survive the unstable world of fame and fortune. Yes, a number of celebrities may have used drugs to cope up with their busy schedules and the pressure of maintaining their popularity, but there are those who are hardly affected simply because they know how to live and think beyond the surface.
  19. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

There could be so many factors at play here. Fame can be a dangerous game and while the pressures of their lifestyle might a contributing factor, the environment and the freedom to do whatever they want are all things to consider. Sad when you really think about it.
  20. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I would have to say that a lot of factors play into this. For instance:
    • Having the money which lets you buy all things you want even drugs. That can be dangerous as well since everything is right within your fingertips when you have the money for it.
    • Having the connections. When you are famous, you are connected to lots of people, even drug dealers.
    • Fame in itself can have its bad sides. You're constantly under public scrutiny and pressure. You cannot even let your hair down and wear house clothes outside without someone insulting you.
    • Issues. All of us have issues and celebrities aren't different in that sense. Maybe being famous even highlighted that traumatic incident in their lives.
    • Family problems. Most of the time, celebrities have family problems due to time issues, busy schedules and priority issues.
    • Pressure to stay on top. And once you began going downhill, then you might get into drugs to relieve the failure.
    Those are all that I could think of that might put a celebrity in higher risk for being addicted to drugs.