An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

The Wild World of Fame

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Deeishere, Mar 14, 2016.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I do see what your saying, and I'll admit then that it's a different kind of pressure. There's still no reason to say that they turned to cocaine and alchol because they couldn't cope with it though as an excuse.

That's what worries me also, because people seem to say "it must be awful not to be able to live your life privately and be chased by the media" as if they're sympothizing with them, but when it comes to a 16 year old, single mother that buckles under the pressure of her life, it's suddenly "she's a bad mother, irresponsible and the child should be taken away".

People turn to drugs for alsorts of reasons, and all sections of society should be treated and given the same help.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not familiar with that show but have heard or watched in the news about those celebrities who have been involved to drugs. Right that there could be various reasons like pressure or just being too rich not to know where to spend their money.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

You know having money makes people quite powerful and able to afford all sorts of things? Then that's what makes them try drugs in the first place, because they are curious or bored and they all have this money sitting on their bank account. It really takes someone of good moral character to not succumb to using drugs.
  4. pwarbi

It isn't just money though that makes people try drugs, you only have to look at all sections of society and the main drug users don't have any money but still manage to take drugs.

I've never been rich and famous, and I never will be, but I just think these celebrities have the world at their feet and can do whatever they want to do in life. If they choose to waste it all by taking drugs then I do find it hard to have any sympathy for them.
  5. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

That show sounds really interesting, I'll give it a try.
    I think that when you're famous you kind of loose the sense of limits, you have money, power and (sometimes) youth, and if you have all of that life can seems pretty simple to just focus on pleasure, living too fast or just shutting down your feelings... It's a shame that a lot of famous people end up in that way.
  6. serenity

Well the poor addicts take them out of stress or peer pressure, but you can be assured that those rich people take them because they can simply buy it. They can go to a therapist when they're stressed, right? Then why bother taking drugs?
  7. roger1003

roger1003 Member

I agree with you. Some even say that because of their busy life, they use drugs so they won't feel sleepy at work. For them, drugs are cheaper as compared to the money they will earn.
  8. pwarbi

That kind of leads on to the fact that a lot of celebrities who do take drugs, or they're using substances to help through life, also have more opportunities to come off them aswell.

It's a lot easier to get help when you've got money in the bank than what it us if your just living day to day.
  9. serenity

True. They can easily get into a rehab as well if they wanted to, but they still chose to be decadent and opt to take drugs. Well, it's their life and their choice. They're the ones who will face the consequences anyway.
  10. pwarbi

They are the ones who will have to face the consequences if their actions, just like we all have to, and that doesn't matter if we're famous and rich or not, we'll all have to go through the same emotions.

I just think that sometimes the celebrities going through rehab can have a detrimental effect on others that are going through the same addiction. The celebrity will spend thousands going into rehab and then coming out clean, selling their story to the media and tell everyone they've beaten the addiction and so people automatically think well if they can do it, why can't the everyday man on the street, but it doesn't work that way.