An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

There is hope!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Daniel Lucky, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Thank you for sharing your story. It just goes to show what can happen when you have a positive attitude in life, and when you try your best to achieve your ultimate goal. I hope that you have a long, happy and healthy future, and that you're able to use your wonderful attitude to shape your life into what you really want it to be.
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Yes there is hope, and your story is inspiring. With God everything is possible. Your success is proof that you can over come anything through the power of God. Thanks for sharing.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When a person shares a story of recovery, aswell as saying it's proof that God is powerful and as helped that person overcome that addiction, surely most of the credit needs to go to the actual person?

Personally I'm not religious and so when I went through recovery, what helped me was knowing that I was strong enough to get through what I had to, if somebody said it wasn't me but down to God, in my eyes that would have devalued what I'd achieved.
  4. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

That was one of my main motivations, a superior guidance. The truth is that we need to grab on to something and it doesn't really matter what it is considering we manage to quit.
  5. pwarbi

I do understand that a lot of people are religious and if you are, it does give you extra motivation to quit and recover from your addiction.

All I was meaning I'd that for the people that aren't, they will have to find other ways of motivating themselves and believing in yourself is one way of doing that.
  6. oportosanto

Yep, for some is religion, for others is family, for others is simply to have their life back. We just need to have something to hold on to or else we think it's not worth it.
  7. pwarbi

Different people will have different things in their life to motivate and inspire them.

Self belief is key to recovering from any sort of addiction but also the support of your friends and family can make a big difference also.
  8. oportosanto

So simple and so true. We need to believe in ourselves and for that we need to see results. So, I recall that I grabbed each day as it was my last one and I built on that.
  9. jupiter

jupiter Active Contributor

Great advice my friend. I pray to Jesus every night. It takes a full surrender. It's not about half measures. I remembered when I was laying in my bed praying fervently for hours, night after night. After about two nights of that, I felt a sense of peace wash over me. Unexplainable.
  10. oportosanto

It's very good to pray, either to Jesus or to our heart, but prayers won't help if the next day we won't put in the effort, it's a team work so to speak.
  11. jupiter

jupiter Active Contributor

Exactly, well said. "Faith by itself, if not accompanied by action, is dead." James 2:17
    I think that many people, including myself, pray, hope, and wish that something will change, but then continue doing the same things. Not taking action. I read an interesting quote once "The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results!"
    oportosanto likes this.
  12. oportosanto

Yes, I agree with that too. If we are doing the same things all over again, the results will be the same. So we need to wise up and get a plan that really works.
  13. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Whether you are into addiction or not we must realized that there is always hope in our life. How can we achieve our goals and dreams in life if we will stop believing that there is still hope despite of all the things that is happening in our life. You had a very inspiring story and it is nice to hear that you had faith and belief in God and for believing that there is hope for those who need it. Keep it up and Good luck!
  14. oportosanto

There is hope and most importantly, we are the ones making it. Many times we are our worse enemies with our negative thinking, so we need to be more positive.