An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Things I wish I knew 10 years ago

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kassie1234, Mar 29, 2016.

1. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

A friend of mine shared this link on Facebook today:

http://greatist.com/live/life-lessons-i-wish-i-had-known-10-years-ago

I thought it was a good list, with lots of things I could apply to my time going through recovery.

Whilst it's not a specific article related to recovery I still definitely thought it was useful.

If you could give yourself any advice that you wish you'd known earlier, what would you say to yourself?
    bhu and Rainman like this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Money isn't everything.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
    bhu likes this.
  3. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Most of us live with nostalgia and a withering sense of regret of what could have been had they followed another trajectory in their life. This is especially so with addiction what with wasted time, health and wealth. My bet is that even if you relive your life, some mistakes are bound to happen even with the best effort and intentions. The key is self forgiveness. I usually say that 'this is the first minute of the rest of my life'.
  4. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Thank you for sharing that article.:) I do think that most of those make sense especially number two which is "Don't complain." Many times I've found myself thinking, "This is too much. I cannot take this anymore." And then I look around me. I see people without parents, their own homes or even food for everyday. Then I feel guilty, why am I complaining when these people have more struggles than I am?

Another one from that list is number twelve, "Money isn't important." This one's a big issue for most people. Is money really not important in a world where you can get anything with money? Truth is, money makes the world go round. But if you're careful enough, money can be a great way to build the life you want. However, don't let it consume you. Don't ever want more than enough because you'd end up slaving your life away for money instead of enjoying life.

I guess one thing I can add to the list is: "Smile more often." It keeps you younger and more than that, it affects the people around you.
    bhu likes this.
  5. kassie1234

The "don't sweat the small stuff" reminds me of a word I learned in Japan when vacationing there - it's "shouganai" which essentially means nothing can be done. Sounds a bit depressing but it's not used that way, it's more used in a way of "it's okay, don't worry about it if you can't change it" kind of thing. So I liked it for that purpose!
    bhu and deanokat like this.
  6. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Thank you for sharing this article. I think no. 25 is the thing I wish I knew 10 years ago in my life.

25. Take action.
    Don't just sit there, do something. Without action, there is no outcome.

Before I am the type of person who sometimes is afraid to take any risks in my life. I always have worries in my mind if I will do "this" and "that" thing. That is why it is already too late before I make my decisions and actions and all I knew the opportunity and chance had passed already. That is why I always had regrets in my life. But now I had already changed and I am thankful that I was able to overcome this kind of thinking.
    bhu and kassie1234 like this.
  7. kassie1234

I am also like that a bit...I tend to procrastinate with tasks a lot, even when they are things I know need to be done. And then I get more overwhelmed when things build up, so it's kind of silly for me to procrastinate!

It's something I am working on to get better at!
    ReadmeByAmy and bhu like this.
  8. Theboysmom04

Theboysmom04 Member

What a great list. I think everyone wishes they could talk to their younger selves and shake some sense into them. While I wish I could go back and change a lot, I'm pretty thankful for who I am today.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm sure that if all of us looked back a few years we wouldn't have done a lot of things that we have done.

The problem is though, we can't turn back the hands if time and the only way we can accept what's happened in the past, is to accept we can't change it and move on with our future.
  10. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

If I were to advice myself back then, I would have told myself "Go pursue that dream without caring about the cost or implication faced by others"

Everyone would have reaped the reward by now.
    bhu likes this.
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I would tell myself be careful with your heart, and the hearts of others. Even though I have nothing to be arrogant about, I know it is a problem with me, and something I need to guard against. It is not a good way to be in this world. Also, just being vulnerable but not naively so is important.
    bhu likes this.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well sometimes we ramble on about things like wishing we knew something earlier in life. It doesn't matter really. What matters is you know it now and use it. I wish, I wish, I should of, I could of, would of. Right? It's over let's get on with it.
  13. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I agree with some of the points bit not all. I have reservation for money is not everything. I am not too much occupied with money, however, money can be an inspiration source, reason for happiness, give hope in life
  14. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

This is a good one, I think that I would tell myself to not try to eat the world in one bite, appreciate little things that certain phases of life give us, start caring about how other people feel with my actions and don't that I don't need to depend on other people to be happy.
    bhu likes this.
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Great list, but I also don't agree with some tips, like not blaming people. If the fault is really caused by someone then you should make them accountable for it.
    bhu likes this.
  16. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Number one on the list strikes me right away: Struggle is good. When I look back on all of the really great things that I have in my life, each one of them came with their own set of struggles. For example, graduating from college debt-free, or having a child are awesome things I have in my life now, but they sure did not come without a struggle.

Recovery from addiction will also bring on its own set of struggles, but in the end, it will be so worth it! For people afraid of the struggle that will come with recovery, you can do it!
    kassie1234 and bhu like this.
  17. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Fantastic topic and great responses from everybody. Each one is very helpful, so all of you touched my life today. I've read a couple letters to one's younger self in different places online, and they always touch me so deeply. I've thought about doing this exercise, but keep putting it off or just writing and revising it in my head, not writing it down. The main one that comes to mind is Go For It! Live your dreams and don't let anyone or anything stand in your way. At the moment, I'm living dreams I didn't know to dream in the first place five years ago. Too often in the past, I thought small and let other people's judgment and manipulation and bullying get me down. No more, not even for a moment. Keep coming back, everybody.
  18. kassie1234

So true! I definitely think that sometimes we have to remember the best things come with a degree of feeling uncomfortable and struggling. But I think it makes it all the more meaningful when you come out of it at the other side - I know my struggles have made me proud of what I've accomplished along the way!