An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Things to look for if you believe a loved one is using Meth

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by IrishHeather, May 29, 2015.

1. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

I had a friend of mine wrote to me and asked if there are physical symptoms that a Meth user displays while using. She thinks her son may be addicted to Meth. I have compiled several physical symptoms to look for.

• Insomnia (staying up for an extended period of time)
    • Lethargic behavior (sleeping for an extended period of time following bouts of insomnia)
    • Increase in activity and decreased appetite
    • Confusion
    • Irritability
    • Repetitive facial movements or jaw clenching
    • Dilated pupils
    • Shakiness
    • Nose Bleeds
    • Dry Mouth and persistent thirst
    • Dehydration
    This is what I have come up with so far, much from personal experience. If you guys can think of anything else please add to the list. She is now working on a plan to confront her son about her suspicions. I have actually referred her to this forum, as many of you have valuable advice and experience to share. Thank you all so very much!
    nikkinikkinana likes this.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I think the tell tale sign of methods use for someone who has been doing it for a while is the sores they develop on their arms and face, as well as extreme weight loss and bad teeth. Meth is a chemical that will tear up your body and decay your teeth after it has been used for a while.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I had to laugh at repetitive facial movements and shakiness. That is the first indication when someone is "tweaking". They just can't keep still and have this weird look on their face. I don't know about nose bleeds. I've never seen that one before.
    Rosyrain likes this.
  4. Pale, "deflated" face
    Mood swings
    Exaggerated body movements
    Change in body odor
    Avoiding eye contact
    Speaking at a low volume or whisper
    Paranoia
    Reduced attention to hygiene
    Over-consumption of sweets/junk food/soda, followed by long periods of sleep.
  5. dakotacensus

dakotacensus Member

The comments above really cover all the main points. One thing I wanted to add was that when one family member of mine was getting into heavier meth use, she lied all the time. Often it was just little things, who she went out with, something somebody said to her. It was like she was trying pull a fog down blocking her life from the rest of us.
  6. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Hmm... That sounds around right from what I've been hearing on the internet. Anyhow, here is the full list of Methamphetamine withdrawal symptoms I found on Timberline Knolls:
    • addiction.
    • psychosis, including: paranoia. hallucinations.
    • repetitive motor activity.
    • changes in brain structure and function.
    • memory loss.
    • aggressive or violent behavior.
    • mood disturbances.
    • severe dental problems.
    Your list has more symptoms, and I'm sure that they vary from person to person. You could try doing a quick Google search and see what you can find if you think that a friend or loved one is doing meth.
  7. Crowl

Crowl Member

Those are good signs to look for a Meth addict. I think I'm going to remember this. I suppose these should be observed very thoroughly because they might be confused with something else.
    Meth addiction is dangerous.
  8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

One of my friends is struggling with the idea of having his son doing meth, so I will pass on to him this list of signs and symptoms, along with your comments.

Perhaps this post can help to shed some light on his concerns.
  9. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Thank you IrishHeather for your insights. Earlier in another thread I was indirectly inviting others to assist Keetta in another area of the forum.See http://talk.drugabuse.com/threads/my-daughter-and-drugs.2980/.She has a daughter who's struggling with this problem. She commented about severe wet loss and other issues.

My only knowledge of meth is what I have learned here. Thank you all for the education.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Severe weight loss is another sign and I did not see that one mentioned above. People on Meth usually do not eat much, if anything while they are high. Their minds are racing at Hugh speeds and that is part of the reason they can't be still. The goofy facial expressions and movements are a big sign because they will scrunch their faces and do a number of different things.
  11. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

They rub their noses a lot if they snort it. And when they rub their nose they they'll inhale sharply through their nose.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah, but a lot of these symptoms can apply to almost anything, even just plain insomnia doesn't have to be meth. The key points though are the facial movements, jaw clenching, and dilated pupils. These also are also signs of cocaine abuse. The jaw clenching is more like a side to side motion. A good eight of these symptoms also come from chemicals in FOODS. Makes you wonder what they really put in there. You can't just go on the other symptoms you have to look for the hallmarks first and then look for the others. The facial, jaw, and eyes are always extremely predominant, you can't miss it.
    LilAnn likes this.
  13. LilAnn

I've across people that weren't necessarily on meth, but I assumed they were. Its how irrational they can get and how easily they lose their temper that I assume is meth use, even if it isnt.
  14. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I can agree with everything you stated in your thread. I've been interesting into distinguishing people who have addiction problems with the majority of drugs and because of that I know a thing or two about meth users symptoms. The only thing I didn't know though was the nose bleeding. I think that happens if you snort it, right?
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I saw someone at a concert once who was taken to the hospital because he was high on meth/a meth addict. He started shaking and hitting people. It kind of ruined the mood for us all.
  16. LilAnn

I can deal with being around most people if they're drunk, or stoned, popping pills... but I stay as far away as I can from someone on meth. Its like the stuff gives them super human strength, and the desire to use it.
  17. LilAnn

yeah, its from snorting. But it can be from snorting meth, coke, crushed pills, heroin, anything that can be made into powder.
  18. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

Paranoia was a huge indicator that my ex-husband was on a meth binge. He would read into everything that people said, and accuse them of elaborate schemes against him. He also believed he was being followed by the authorities. After a few days of thus, he would get violent. It might seem like mental illness to anyone else, but I knew what it was. So, look out for paranoia in users.
  19. LilAnn

they are spastic. I mean like ADHD times 500.
  20. moreno58

moreno58 Active Contributor

Thanks for the information. I have a friend that I think might be doing meth. She does a lot of the things that were mentioned here. Like staying up not being able to sleep, a lot of mood changes and she is very quick to get mad at small things that shouldn't even make her mad. Also, there are times when she is constantly moving her leg, like she can't sit still.