An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Thinking about methadone? Read this first.

Discussion in 'Opiate Withdrawal Treatment' started by enice2377, Feb 21, 2015.

1. enice2377

enice2377 Member

I have been using methadone now for three years due to chronic pain from ten shoulder operations. Methadone provides great relief for my particular situation. I felt it necessary to share with those contemplating methadone use some pro's and con's from my personal experience.

As I said above, a pro would definitely be the relief that I get from my chronic pain condition; It has absolutely improved my quality of life since the surgeries. Another positive thing I have experienced is that my tolerance has not gone up with methadone, whereas with oxycodone I had my dosage adjusted frequently.

The biggest concern and con that I see regarding methadone treatment is the long term effect it can potentially have on your heart. It can cause a certain type of arrhythmia that once you get it, you have it for the rest of your life. The other things I would say are cons and certainly could be person specific is for me the way methadone has changed my personality. I went from being a highly motivated person to now suffering with bouts of depression and an overall lack of energy.

My advice is to really be sure of your reason for taking it and too make sure you have someone who can provide some accountability to lessen the potential for abuse. A really good documentary concerning methadone use is called Methadonia. It does a pretty good job of giving a clear picture of pro's and con's of the drug.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Thanks for this relevant information about Methadone. It will somehow help others who are considering taking this one. And I agree, you must really have good reasons before trying Methadone out to avoid future complications.
    JohnBeaulieu likes this.
  3. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Th

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, I have never thought of taking methadone, but from the advice you have given, people need to be really careful, before they indulge themselves in this drug, I will be sure to warn anyone that I know that is trying to be on methadone.
  4. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

I feel sorry for your situation. I understand that methadone is used for chronic pain as an analgesic and belongs to the synthetic opioid group. However, I suspect, it was prescribed by your doctor and you had to use it. Doctors usually take the benefit vs risk ratio before prescribing a medicine. Have you tried physiotherapy? Have you discussed your bouts of depression with your doctor? Do you exercise regularly?

All I can say is a regular exercise coupled with balanced diet boosts your energy and your depression is bound to improve.
  5. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

That was very informative and useful, It is exactly what you said about the tolerant, my mom used oxycodone to cope with her neck pain, but developed tolerance very quickly so that's a huge advantage Methadone has.
  6. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Thank you for the information. This is a medication I would like to avoid. It had been suggested by a doctor a few times to me. I'm glad I declined.
  7. Devonne

Devonne Member

I considered going this route but I had a very good friend of mine who became addicted while she was in treatment and I haven't seen or heard from her in years, no body has. I found it was easier and safer for me slowing get off the drug rather than put something in my system that is supposed to help but could end up doing more harm than good. Thank you for the information though. It reaffirms my decision no matter how hard it was. It is possible to do it with methadone.
  8. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Methadone had been suggested to me for pain management, not addiction. I just wanted to clarify my earlier comment.
  9. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

It is true, methadone can have serious complications to our health if used in the wrong way, but also can be very helpful if used the right way. It is a pretty strong drug and should be used with caution.
  10. PingPongCall

PingPongCall Active Contributor

Something like Methadone would have really made life easier a few years ago when I first stopped doing things like that. That was a nightmarish kind of pain.
  11. I don't think I will ever use that type of product and medicine. I know people who have used it and the feedback I get from them is not very good.
  12. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear about your side-effects with this drug. It's such a difficult position to be in: chronic pain for the rest of your life, or pain relief with depression and lethargy. It's a real Sophie's Choice sometimes. Let's hope that an alternative to methadone is developed in the near future.