An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Thinking about taking Adderall

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by GenevB, Nov 2, 2014.

1. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

In the next few months I'll be having a big exam, the end of high-school exam, after graduation, which in my country is very important. I'm thinking about getting a low dose of Adderall in order to help me learning all the stuff and keep me focused on the exam, what do you think? Is it worth a shot as long as I keep a controlled dose and I take all the precautions like having someone to get me out of the way if I'm getting too much into it?
    Selhurst12 likes this.
  2. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

There are other ways to get through the stress of exams. Get enough sleep, do some exercise and listen to music to unwind. DONT TAKE MEDICATION, to solve problems as they never do. You will find by taking medication to help you with learning that it will could your judgement and decision making which could get you into trouble when writing the exams.
    Get exercise, eat right and to keep calm, just put into yout head that you will do the best that you can and that is all that you can do.
    Nick W. likes this.
  3. mdaudali

mdaudali Member

I completely agree with the above poster. Do not take medication to relieve the stress. It's not worth it. Make sure you sleep early but keep the amount of time consistent. Listening to calm music is always a a good idea.
    Meds can mess with you. You may end up causing more problems for yourself if you take it.
    Nick W. likes this.
  4. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Here's the thing man, you don't need drugs to pass exams. The majority of us did end of high school exams even before the invention of Adderall and guess what? We passed those exams. If you are thinking of taking that drug i would advice you to stop because assuming you pass and join college, you will need tons of adderall with disastrous effects on your body,to pass the numerous exams in college which i assure you, are not a walk in the park.
    Nick W. likes this.
  5. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

In the long run this isn't going to help you. You're looking at a short term solution to a long term issue. Retaining the information is going to be as important as focus during the event. I would highly suggest not going down that route. Many people say, "Just this one time..." and continue the cycle of substance abuse for much longer.

Additionally, you're introducing a chemical that your body does not need. You're throwing your own balance off, and I would seriously look into the side effects of this drug, especially on the brain.
  6. Sprezza

Sprezza Member

I wouldn't do it. First of all, this won't be your last exam in your life, far from it. This now might seem of the highest importance, but there will come more and more of these situations. So it's very likely you won't limit it to just using adderall once.

Secondly, you'd be more proud if you pass the exam on your own. It will give a boost to your confidence, which won't happen if you took adderall.
    Nick W. likes this.
  7. It is a lot more satisfying passing those exams without the use of medications. Furthermore you won't be more intelligent taking Adderall. You should try to find other methods to treat your studying problems. There are a lot of herbs that might help you focus and relax.
  8. kyliexo

kyliexo Member

I've taken Adderall to help me study during college exams. It wasn't worth it, at all. After a few hours I felt so wired that I couldn't even focus. It didn't make me smarter or more able to study.

Take breaks when you need to, listen to some music quietly, and stay focused. You can do it without the meds. :) Good luck!
  9. GenevB

I'm not talking about taking it in order to pass them, I can easily pass them by myself, but from what I've heard, it should help me increase my understanding and concentration power. If adderall gives me and edge over the other students, then that's fine to me, having it in controlled doses shouldn't do any damage, as for psychological addiction, I'm aware about that and ready to assume the risk.
  10. I've been diagnosed with ADD since the age of 6, and I'm currently prescribed Adderall, which is actually in my system as I'm writing this. What I'm going to say may not be what you want to hear, but it's gotta be said.

Adderall is a Class II substance drug, meaning it IS addictive, and a abused drug. It is meant to be prescribed to people who have a chemical imbalance in their brain where their brain isn't producing enough of the chemical on its own. Adderall works by changing the amount of these chemicals.

If someone's brain is producing these chemicals fine on it's own and they take Adderall, the user is going to feel high as a kite. If someone takes Adderall on a regular basis, the brain will rely on the drug to produce the chemical all on its own, leaving the user in withdraw and feeling worse than before. If you don't need it, it's going to make you feel like you're on top of the world, but most likely the drug abuser will be too ramped up to focus on one thing.
  11. GenevB

I was thinking about something like that, that it should be some secretion on your body which aderrall replaces, and the body shuts down the secretion, resulting in problems with addiction or even with health. However I still have time to decide, thinking about taking this doesn't equal I will.
  12. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

I think the problem you may have is that yes, it will help and yes, you may do very well on that one exam *but* once you go on to a university and you face the same challenge again, you won't have built up any other reliable methods to help you get through the studying and the exam itself. The fear and anxiety of not being able to pass any other way then with medication will keep you relying on it. It could easily become a very slow creep up to an addiction.
  13. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

Yes you have to be careful about this. My friend took too much creatine to build his body in the gym. Eventually he took so much each day his body simply stopped producing it. Now he needs to get injected with it regularly otherwise he will have major health problems.
  14. GenevB

Sorry if I don't buy that. How many grams have he taken a day and for how long? I have been a user myself and I know many people who experienced the good effects, there isn't any contra-effect that says it can stop your natural production.
  15. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

I also don't buy that. It sounds like there was a misunderstanding. I have never heard of that happening, nor can I find any evidence to support the claim that it can happen. Your phosphocreatine system isn't just going to stop working if you take too much creatine.
  16. GenevB

Probably he misunderstood the situation, maybe his friend has been using steroids which stopped his testosterone production, this is real and can happen.
  17. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I'm pretty tempted as well. I'm in the mechanical engineering program, and these past few months have been taking a toll on me. I still survived without Adderall though, and I don't think the short-term benefits outweigh the long-term harm. All your comments help confirm this decision of mine. Thanks!
  18. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I went through four years of university and came out with al A's and A+'s without touching adderal once and you can too. Yes adderal can help you focus, but I think it's much more important to learn to focus without a crutch so you can continue using that skill throughout your life. If you absolutely need something a cup of coffee can help with mental alertness.
  19. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

While I agree that we should learn to study and take tests without the aid of drugs, doesn't substituting one drug for another (caffeine for Adderall) defeat the purpose of testing without any aids?
  20. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

While I agree that caffeine is a mind altering drug it is legal and not a prescribed medication like adderal. If the poster had been prescribed adderal by his doctor and discussed dosages and proper use I would be inclined to agree with you but it sounds like he plans on taking a prescription that's not his. My apologies if I'm wrong. Also caffeine has been around for a longtime and we know the health risks and benefits.I'm not so sure about adderal.