An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Thinking of trying Adderall

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Selhurst12, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Selhurst12

Selhurst12 Member

Hey guys, I'm thinking of trying adderall in order to help me study for my college exams. I have done a lot of reading and am aware of the long term side effects which I have personally deemed minor since they can be avoided by not taking the drug regularly, only occasionally. (few nights before exams) If I monitor my usage like this I should avoid all harm.

Is there anyone out there that has attempted to use adderall in this way and actually experienced issues?
  2. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

It really does not help. It is not at all what it is cracked up to be. I was awake for two days, consecutively. I thought I was going to be so energized for school and my sports practices. I was wrong. I was so unproductively productive, if that makes sense. I was cleaning my room and doing cartwheels at three in the morning. I thought I was getting all of the right answers in school whenever it turns out that I was putting the most incorrect answers that there were. Don't do it. It is not worth it at all.
  3. Selhurst12

Selhurst12 Member

That's strange. The majority of other people have found that it helps their concentration. Maybe you took a high dose?
  4. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I don't mean to condone drug use, but for the sake of harm reduction I'll throw my two cents in here. Every drug affects everyone differently. It's just not fair to assume that you will react a certain way to it. You wouldn't want to take it at an important time in your life and then realize you'll be completely useless for the rest of the day. Perhaps doing a little test drive of sorts would be beneficial before using it at a time where you plan on studying. Maybe on a weekend or holiday or something?

Also, it seems you are taking a giant leap here. Wouldn't it maybe be better off to start with Ritalin or something a little lighter? Back in my day I'd use Adderall when i was out of meth and found both to be quite the same. Once again, your mileage may vary, but it would probably be safer to start with something a little lighter.
  5. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I had friends who did it and they said they had so much energy they were painting their apartment. I think it will give you a boost, but you might not use that boost to focus on your studies. It just doesn't sound worth it to me. Just study and I doubt the adderall will help with retention.
  6. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

I actually agree. Take it at another point first in order to try it out. You might find that you can tolerate it fine or you may find that you have to deal with side effects that aren't worthwhile. You don't want to have this happen during prime exam time, though.

Interesting! I didn't know that Adderall was considered heavier. They're both used in my area frequently and I thought it just varied based on dosage and individual person....not that one was necessarily more intense than the other.
  7. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I definitely wouldn't recommend trying it. First of all, you shouldn't self-medicate and should only take it if prescribed by your doctor. Adderall has been shown to have adverse and quite severe side-effects for some users, sometimes long-term. Secondly, it won't help. The best way to study is to remain calm and relaxed and to just allow yourself to take it all in without worrying or stressing about it. When you worry or get stressed you also become tense. That's not a state you want to be in when studying and that's what Adderall does to most people - makes them more tense. As far as I am aware it would only have a beneficial effect for people who display symptoms of ADHD/ADD.
  8. stj345

stj345 Member

9. stj345

stj345 Member

I'm prescribed it for ADD and it has ruined my life :/...
  10. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

how has it ruined your life? Do you really have ADHD/ADD or did you pretend to in order to get the perception?
  11. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

Hey, How old are you? Do you honestly believe you have ADD/ADHD? If so, it can help you out. If not, than regardless of the fact of monitoring it or not it will have negative side effects. Why do you need help studying for your exams? Do you wait last minute to study or do you find it hard to concentrate? Are you overwhelmed with your work load or do you feel like your study load is fine but you get side tracked a lot?
  12. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

These are all side-effects from study burnout, and while Adderall might help you in the short-term it's not going to help the real cause - your heavy work load. Karebear is right - if you think you have these problems, by all means seek help and get a prescription, but if you're just feeling stressed you could do a lot of permanent good by reducing your course work-load and learning better study habits.

Adderall is a lot safer than most drugs, and you seem to have a grasp of what the side effects are, but every drug user starts with the best intentions ("I just need to relax, a couple times won't hurt.") and finds that they're stranded in a canoe up a creek they don't know how to get back from.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I completely disagree that Adderall is a lot safer than most drugs. Adderall is an amphetamine. It is notorious and it's known that it can have very severe, sometimes long-term or permanent, side effects. There are literally thousands of people out there who have been prescribed Adderall for their ADD/ADHD and claim that after years of taking it, it has ruined their lives.
  14. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I think there seems to be a level of confusion here. I don't think this is a matter of self medicating a health issue I think this is a matter of trying to use a drug that the OP has come to believe will assist them in studying. I'm not going to BS you, OP. It's worked for people. It's also helped reveal levels of addictive personalities in people not to mention affect their ability when not using. No one can convince you not to take that risk but I would suggest reading things that are counter to the decision you want to make. Might be more helpful in explaining the real risk.