An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

THIS GUY WALKS INTO A BAR.........

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Adrianna, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This guy walks into a bar…..
    Isn’t that always the joke? He sits down with his pals and says to the bartender do you have a boyfriend?
    What are bars for? Fun, socializing, dumping negativity, venting, or whatever. Maybe that’s why people go there. They get their liquid drug and they can talk about their problems. Hear about other people’s problems. Seems almost like going to a shrink but is more fun. There’s more people there with you.
    People escape more than they vent mostly. They want to smile and laugh. The ones that vent generally aren’t upright for long. They will either drool or sleep on the bar at some point. If they become good at it they learn to call a cab and anticipate the timing of sleep. I’m just kidding. But it seems that way.

The escapism of alcohol. Creates a surreal place that feels good and numbs, blurrs, and softens everything. Almost seems like an amusement park with liquid drugs being served. But you don’t have to get on a ride until you get home and the bed is spinning. Did you ever have that happen? The bed or the room. You are trying to sleep and the room won’t stop moving. Lol You just want to sleep but you can’t. Liquified hallucinogenic state or something right. It can’t be good for you. Right? Even though its fun, until you can’t sleep or you sleep for 3 hours and suddenly have insomnia. What’s up with that? Seems like the commercial liquor is not like it use to be. Use to be that you could tie one on and sleep until noon, straight. Just seems like this stuff has gotten more evil.
  2. bleblanc10

bleblanc10 Senior Contributor

I feel like this one is more of a guy telling a story to a bunch of drinking buddies and not as much of a format.
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Bars are indeed mainly for socializing and drinking, so if a person has issues with alcohol then they should find another way to socialize because alcohol is bad for them.
  4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

There have been so many jokes with the " so a guy walks into a bar".. that it's iconic. I don't know if jokes like these make people not take alcohol problems seriously or not. But what I do know is that when you have a problem the last thing you want is someone making jokes about what you are going through. It is no joke to have an addiction control your life.
  5. Adrianna

Yes it is Iconic. No it is no joke. Its a suggestive sell and classic line. Its true its not nice to make jokes when people have a problem. Some people try to say its good to have a good sense of humor about yourself. Laugh at yourself. I suppose. Addiction is no laughing matter. Maybe when you can finally laugh about it you're over it.
    Member since wednesday how many user id's can one person have in a forum?
  6. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

Alcohol has been a part of human society for thousands of years. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going anywhere. I cannot stress moderation enough. As soon as a drug begins to use you instead of you using the drug, you know that something is wrong. If you are prone to alcohol addiction or have had previous addictions to alcohol, I'd advise that you abstain from it altogether. If not, please use moderation.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think if a person uses alcohol to deal with there issues they become a alcoholic faster. If you drink just because you want to do that, it would be safer than trying to mask your problems with it. Drinking socially may not be that bad for someone who doesn't have a drinking problem, but if someone has a drinking problem they should stay away from it. Happy hour sometimes turns into a disaster when a person has issues bottled up and it all comes out when there drunk.
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

So many jokes start this way, it's interesting because jokes like these can make alcoholism look like something more innocent and simple, which is never the case. I should know coming from a family of alcoholics.
  9. Adrianna

A family of alcoholics. Learned behavior. They could make a prime time TV show with a family of alcoholics. Like that show "Shameless". Hardcore alcoholics either can seem like they are not drunk at all or be really messy about it. I've seen some drink scotch straight up, maybe like 6 or 7 of them and seem completely sober. Scary when the tolerance is that high.
    There is nothing simple about alcoholism. Its true it is kind of made light of with jokes like this. Especially the guy that walks into a bar every day.
  10. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Bars, friends and alcohol is actually a good combination to have fun after a long day at work for example. As long as drinking alcohol up to a normal point that is!
  11. gracer

gracer Community Champion

@Adrianna The oh so iconic "this guy walks into a bar..." story starter. :) The things you said on your thread are so true in so many ways. Going to bars to feel numb from the reality of life by ingesting loads of alcohol into my system used to be my thing during my younger years. Alcohol gives that temporary feeling of numbness and freedom to vent out your feelings so it used to be my way of expressing my pent up emotions. Then when I get so drunk and I go home, try to sleep on my bed but it would feel like the world is spinning around me and my head would just feel so heavy until I start to bring out all the liquor I drank. Those were the days and I'm just glad I'm over them now.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Alcohol is one of the worst drugs and this scenario is playing out across bars and public houses the world over.
    Good post!
    A man who walks into a bar is no joke...
  13. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

Alcohol plays a major role in some people's ability to socialize, including my own. I would say that social anxiety was a definite factor in my descent into alcoholism, and even now, while maintaining relative sobriety, I still find typical social events very difficult.
  14. henry

henry Community Champion

I can't remember the last time my bed was spinning on me. That only happened when I started drinking. Same with puking. I used to puke every time I drank, but now it doesn't even cross my mind. And, yes, I have to admit drinking is fun. But that's only until you start hanging out with the wrong crowd and begin to start waking up next to people in places you've never been before.
  15. Elendil

Elendil Active Contributor

I think that 'so a guy walks into a bar' setting is so popular is not because bars have been associated with socializing and having fun. I mean, we have schools and colleges and cafeterias and playgrounds and picnics and the internet for that express purpose. I think it is more because bars have traditionally been associated with drinking, and it is drinking that has historically been considered analogous to socializing and having fun. If people didn't drink as much they do, the setting of the joke would have been entirely different. But since bars are places where most of the drinking happens, people use the formula A=C when A=B=C to equate them with socializing. Thus the popularity of the phrase.
    Oh, and not to mention that almost all of a person's most embarrassing and funny (to others) moments happen when they are dead drunk, which, again has the highest rate of occurrence in a bar. o_O
  16. Adrianna

Social anxiety. Well there are many ways to look at it. I've had this conversation with good friends often. Having a social job has certainly helped with that. I've heard some people say that it has to do with the number of people going to be present. All the energy and vibration. It can be overwhelming to some that are sensitive to this. I can remember forcing myself to go out and socialize. Having this exciting somewhat fearful feeling, but I would still go. Be completely fine once I was there. Of course I would have a buzz within the first hour from drinking. There were plenty of times though that I'd go and stay sober. What is it, face the fear and do it anyway? I actually love that feeling just before something like this. I don't mind it. It's not really anxiety to me. It's more like excitement. So, it can be all in how you look at it.