An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

This inner void.....

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Dominica, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

I read this quote today and it really resonated with me.

“People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within.” – Ramona L. Anderson

Most of us have heard the phrase at least once: "Fill the void"...

It kind of seems like a progressive order of life to hit the ground running, chasing after something to either ease the pain or fill the void or go after that temporary feeling of pleasure, be it a new outfit or haircut or job or drug or person or Netflix series, and so on. Chasing after "outer things"...

And it all gets so heavy. And then the irony as this quote says. What we're really seeking cannot be found out there. "Out there" can pacify, but not satisfy long-term.

I've been addicted to being busy before and have to watch it... Having to do something or read something or watch something constantly.

Sitting with silence, being fully present, or not having my life controlled to the T.....is my aim. Going Within. Being okay with the silence. Feeling okay no matter what's going on. Trusting. Not reaching out for another hit of something. Doing the "inner work"....

Just a few sort of random thoughts from me this morning. Hope everyone has an amazing day!
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Great post, @Dominica. And great quote, too. It reminds me of what my favorite author, Anne Lamott, talks about a lot:

"Everything we need to come through, to be sustained, and everything we’ve searched for, is inside us....There is nothing you can buy, achieve, own, or rent that can fill up that hunger inside for a sense of fulfillment and wonder."
    ~Anne Lamott

People spend too much time in search of a magic fix. Instead of looking inside themselves. :)
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  3. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Ok you both obviously have dug deep within lol but I obviously already knew that (I've been chatting with you both for awhile)Both great quotes,and I have been digging deep within a lot lately as well (as you know)I agree almost completely with everything in both quotes as the further within I go the better the person I feel I am becoming, I have found good in myself I did not know existed, compassion I never imagined, and concern that is true (Pune intended)Anyways great thread @Dominica you and @deanokat have been amazing and a true inspiration to so many,the time you both spend on here does in fact make a real difference and I'm going to do something I haven't ever done here on this site before and go out on a limb and give myself a little love as I believe in my heart I have help other's as well and there is no better feeling, it's better than any substance I have ever used and or abused,to know you helped someone and possibly helped them in any way what so ever for the better good of their lives is a blessing in itself
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  4. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

I'm super glad to hear that you're giving yourself some love! You def deserve that! I hope you have an amazing Saturday!
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Radical self-care. Radical self-love. Because we all deserve it. *insert imaginary heart emoji here*
    Dominica and True concern like this.
  6. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well
    deanokat and Dominica like this.