An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

This is Liola

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by liliann, Mar 30, 2019.

1. liliann

liliann Senior Contributor

Hi Guys
    I had to do a new screen name and all to get in (again).
    So this is me.
    I haven't been around because I just hadn't been around...life started happening and then I had a bad accident at the dog park. My dogs took off while on the leash and I wasn't paying attention and took me down hard smack on my shoulder and tore the rotator cuff and dislocated the bicep. The other shoulder also tore a new tear (I had that repaired years ago). March 4 I had the surgery for the shoulder I fell on (left) and it has been almost 4 weeks of complete dependency on my husband to do every little thing for me.
    I am following doctors orders and keeping it in the sling with no movement and doing physical therapy religiously. The pain is a lot to handle. I am not taking any opiates. I am however on Tramadol which let me tell you, doesn't make you feel anything like opiates but I feel addicted already. I was also prescribed Soma which is a pill I've had a problem in the past with although right now I am mostly taking the Tramadol.
    I am going to pick a new clean date after the 2nd surgery for the other shoulder which will be when this one heals. Even though these are doctor prescribed I want to be squeaky clean and I am not sure if I am taking them only for pain...as I said, I think my body/mind got dependent on them. I am taking 3-4 a day. Granted the pain is real...but motrin might work just as well.
    I cannot drive for another few weeks and am taking Lyft wherever I go so my meetings are fewer and around my home area but I am going to minimum 3 a week.
    I have missed you all and wanted to sign in, say hi, see how you are, and also have you once again here for me.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

It's good to hear from you, Liola / @liliann. Although, I'm so, so sorry to hear about your accident and the injuries you sustained. That sounds horrible. I wish you the best of luck on your next surgery and the speediest of recoveries.

As far as Tramadol goes... It has always been my understanding that Tramadol is an opiate. I just did a Google search to make sure I wasn't remembering wrong, and the information I found confirms what I believed. For example, read this:

https://drugabuse.com/newsflash-tramadol-really-is-an-opiate/

My advice to you would be to try to cut back on the Tramadol and give Motrin a try. Motrin can be a very effective pain reliever. My son (who struggles with addiction) recently broke a bone in his pelvis and he was able to manage his pain by using mostly just Motrin. Of course, everyone is different, and different injuries cause different pain. But I think it is worth a try in your case. Perhaps consult with your doctor about it, too.

Keep taking good care of yourself. It's great that you have your husband to help you. I am sending you healing energy and saying a prayer for you. Again, it was so nice to hear from you!
  3. liliann

liliann Senior Contributor

Hi Dean,
    I will read the article. From not reading it first and just my prior understanding is that it isn't an opiate but is addictive and has recently been classified as a controlled substance. The Soma is more of an issue for me since in the past I had a problem with them. I will read the article and have for sure cut back on them.
    But to be honest (which is so crucial) I cut back because I don't have many and save it for either after a hard therapy session or a lot of pain. I am positive it can be controlled just as well with motrin but of course an addict like I am is justifying taking the Tramadol. The monster of active addiction is definitely awake from this and my only saving grace is that I have access of course with money for any pill out there...and it is no temptation for me to get any! Not yet as they say. I will not let this take me down that path. Believe me I know still what that detox felt like and will never forget it.
    Thank you for being stern and direct. I need that. I need to hear myself justifying this to you...it shows me a lot...doing things Lili's way vs. the 3rd step way.
    I need you all still and will be more active now. Being in this holding period of the sling "almost" off in 2 weeks and the next surgery which will be scheduled when I see the surgeon on the 25th.
    How is everyone doing? I know Dominica is good and you sound good...how is Arthur?
    Dominica likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@liliann... FYI, this is from the Mayo Clinic's website:

"Tramadol is used to relieve moderate to moderately severe pain, including pain after surgery. The extended-release capsules or tablets are used for chronic ongoing pain. Tramadol belongs to the group of medicines called opioid analgesics. It acts in the central nervous system (CNS) to relieve pain."

I'm doing alright. My son is dealing with some mental health issues (he's bipolar and struggles with severe depression and anxiety, too, as well as addiction), but my wife and I are trying our best to hang in there.

Arthur had a setback and hasn't been around here in a while. I think about him every day and hope and pray that he's doing everything he can to get back on track. @True concern... We all care about you, my brother.
    Dominica and True concern like this.
  5. True concern

True concern Moderator

Odd that I decided to return here the day of this post but here I am.I don't even know if I would call it a "setback"anymore even though that is the truth of it.This A.D.H.D pisses me off....I remember the pain addiction brings yet my mind goes so damn fast it keeps analyzing like I missed something while it consumed me but in the end I didn't yet I must be honest it's hard to focus on anything when your mind is analyzing everything......A.D.H.D.Pre Artificial intelligence
    deanokat likes this.