An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

This might sound silly but it worked for me..

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Nomore141, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Nomore141

Nomore141 Member

Over a period of 10 years I indulged in pretty much every drug you can think of, from sleeping pills to heroin. These days, I only have a drink once in a while. I've been completely clean for the past 7 years, I've even quit smoking. How did I do it? Well the trick is simplicity itself. Believe it or not, all I did was identify the reason why I was doing drugs. Now, I know exactly how that sounds and I know most people think they know why they do it.
    Addiction is like a switch that you can simply turn off and it doesn't require any effort. But first you need to find that switch, the real switch, you need to find the real reason.
    Every person has their own unique switch, no 2 switches are the same. Example: someone says " I do drugs because I feel down." and someone else says "Yea me too." . "feeling down" is a vast vast term and has got nothing to do with the real reason, the real reason is always unique to the individual in question. You can't win against addiction if you fight it blindly, on the surface, at best you'll morph it into a different addiction.
    The thing is deep down, every addict knows the real reason but subconsciously they avoid it. To defeat your addiction all you have to do is face yourself. There is no need for external help.
    How to know if you've found the real switch? Simple, when you find it, you'll know, the craving will not be there anymore.
    deanokat likes this.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It might sound over-simplified but it's definitely true. You need to determine the reason WHY you feel down and work from there. Simply stopping using whatever it is you were using is only half the battle.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I agree wholeheartedly with what you said. Like you mentioned, feeling down is such a vast term but it's triggered by different things in everyone out there. Once you can establish the root cause of what makes you feel down and turn to a substance to numb the pain or fill the void, it's much easier to identify those triggers and managing them.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

What you said definitely makes sense. Once you have figured the root cause why you feel down, then avoid or stop it from happening. Then see how your life in general will improve because you have quit taking drugs.
  5. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

I concur about the strength of the mind. Anything can change once you make up your mind to do it. I guess the switch you refer to here is one's will.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Guys, would this work for addicts who don't realize or won't admit that drugs are bad for them? The reasons for doing drugs vary from person to person but there are a few who use drugs because they think that doing drugs is fun. To them "fun" a valid reason to justify drug abuse.

Question: how would you help such a person?
  7. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I agree with a lot of the comments here. I think diagnosing the issue or the root cause helps a lot in dealing with it. I know that depression could definitely lead to that, but finding something that is further satisfying or more satisfying will end you up in a better place, something that is beneficial.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That could definitely work for any struggling addict. Well, it may sound really basic and silly, but if you ever find the real reason of why you are resorting to drug addiction, it could somehow help you straighten things up in your life.

Anyway, I am happy to know that you are doing well in recovery. Keep it up. :)
  9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

That is great to hear you have been off drugs for 7 years now, congrats! A couple of the common reasons that people use drugs is because they feel down on themselves or they have nothing to do with their lives. You have to find motivation and something to look forward to and it makes the process of getting off drugs much smoother.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Great for you that you were able to find your real switch and be successful in defeating bad habit for years. You can be a motivation for others just like through sharing your own experience here. I agree that finding the root cause could lead to successful recovery.
  11. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Couldn't agree more. Although most people will get into drugs because of peer pressure, it's only that individual alone who can identify the reason as to why he's into the habit and what he needs to do to overcome that temptation of doing drugs. It all boils down to that individual and only he holds the key to redeem himself.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Not silly.
    Very on point.
    It's all about determining root causes.
  13. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Nomore141, I think you have presented us with a very interesting concept. The switch. I am glad you were able to find your switch and I am hoping that many who are struggling will in time find their switch as well.

The silly got my attention, and this concept is anything but silly. I have long believed that it is critical to get to the root cause of any problem if there is ever going to be a permanent fix. Welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing more from you.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah I just said this the other day here in this forum. Find out the why. Why are you doing it? Depressed, low self esteem, or whatever. It only makes it worse. It doesn't solve anything. Escapism is all it is.