An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

This quote has teeth!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Zyni, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."
    Charles Swindoll

Read more: http://motivationgrid.com/best-motivational-quotes-you-will-ever-find/#ixzz3zJ6m7lVw

Wow, this one really has some bite to it, doesn't it? I love motivational and inspirational quotes. I think they help me keep a positive outlook, so I also like to share them (as you've probably seen on here).

I found this one to be quite simple, yet full of impact.

It really does all boil down to the choices we make.
    kassie1234, stariie and kgord like this.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, I think Abraham Lincoln may have said it best..his famous quote was " Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." I mean we all deal with trials and tribulations in our lives, but being able to keep a positive attitude despite adversity is an amazing trait.
    Zyni likes this.
  3. stariie

stariie Community Champion

How one reacts to things makes a huge difference in the outcome of it all. I heard motivational speaker Tony Robbins say that in the winter time some people freeze to death and others SKI. It can be all in the attitude, that's for sure. I've been in many situations where attitude made all the difference in the world.
    Zyni likes this.
  4. DN02

DN02 Member

I'm a sucker for inspirational quotes too and this is one of my favourites for sure! Here's where it came from.......it explains the quote so much better - "We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you. We are in charge of our attitudes."
    Zyni likes this.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I love that Tony Robbins approach - such a clever way of looking at things! Certainly shows that it is what you make it, with your attitude and outlook!
    stariie and Zyni like this.
  6. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is true, 10% what you expect from the world and 90 % what you make yourself. So we must make sure we take care of ourselves before we expect others to do it for us.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's absolutely true. Don't feel so hopeless about the things that you are currently going through or you'll experience in the future. Those are just challenges and struggles in life, it's still in our hands whether we'll try to do something to overcome them or not.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

True, whenever troubles go our way we can always choose how to react to it, so our mood is entirely up to us, so we should always think positive even if sometimes the situation is bleak.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Attitude also does really does determine whether someone will be happy, achieve their goals, etc, etc. As long as someone is always optimistic, start each day believing it will be a really good day then I'm sure their optimism will make them do something that will make their day as good as they thought it would be.

Whether we like it or not things are always happening. Some we can't control but at least we all have the ability to change the outcome with our actions.

“Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.”
    ― William James
    stariie and Zyni like this.
  10. trueevan

trueevan Member

Great quote! Like it!
  11. nieprophsono

nieprophsono Active Contributor

I agree with this quote because everything depends on our mood and understanding of this world. We need to be calm about everything because all situations can be solved. Also, if we are less nervous, we live more and happier. And in general, I advise everyone to read Schopenhauer. I believe that his books are a must-read for every person. By the way, speaking of teeth, haha, does anyone know if teeth whitening gel trays are worth it, I just recently read an article about it on this site improvingeachday.com, and now I'm wondering.