An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

This too shall pass

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by d4rk3n, Dec 31, 2014.

1. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

One of the most common reasons of addiction is depression, and the fear that something bad might happen in the future/ is happening to you. But remember this golden quote my friend, "This too shall pass". No matter how hard things are, remember that everything must pass one day. Even this pain, the suffering. So don't fret, be happy and stay sober. Have a good day.
  2. ZackeyMane

ZackeyMane Member

Exactly. The sun will always rise one day, no matter how long it takes, it will happen. Just wait it out and keep yourself comfortable as possible.
  3. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

I think this is a very helpful viewpoint. I find that if I focus on let's get through today, I can usually get through. When I start thinking about the long term, I start pointlessly worrying that it will always be like this or that it can only get worse. Even when those things are true, they're not helpful to dwell on.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right, I agree on that and I also really like that phrase.
    Life goes on no matter what so, we should be keep moving and moving on for the better. Have a blessed new year everyone. :)
  5. d4rk3n

Happy new year guys :)

And yeah thinking about the long term won't really help. It will just make you more worried of what's coming in the future. Just live today like its your last day. And stay sober :)
    Have a good day guys
  6. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

I agree with this. This kind of thinking will go a long way towards recovery and can even help someone who is really depressed. Everything is temporary, so you must know that your worries and troubles are temporary anyway. It is best not to dwell in them. Depression starts when you worry, so right now, make a promise to yourself to eliminate that and you will see amazing results in your life. :)
  7. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

I've been in a long complicated relationship with depression, for many, many years it has ruled my life. I didn't know how to cope with any sort of strong feelings so I would grab for anything that would numb me into a "comfortable" limbo. I'm going to have to struggle with it for the rest of my life...my mental illness is part of me. Most days it was almost impossible to continue on with my world shattering around me. I think perspective is important, especially when it all seems so dark. Say you fail somehow in your commitment to change your habits or tame your addictions. It is important to always forgive yourself and start again...and again, if necessary.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. The only problem is that when you're in the eye of the storm it really does seem like forever and the light at the end of the tunnel just doesn't seem like it will appear anytime soon. Also the really difficult part is that even if you know it will pass, you are unsure how long it will take. It still is best to just keep fighting though because it will make you stronger and more capable for any other future challenges.
  9. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. The thing is, it's really hard to think things are going to be ok when you're knee deep in your emotions. Days can seem like they take forever to end, and you can feel yourself in actual, physical pain because of your emotions. Eventually, it does pass though, and you usually feel like you can take on the world after.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Depression certainly does drive many people to drug use so they can cope with whatever it is they are going through. Everything sure does pass but you can hasten it by changing attitudes, habits, etc. Instead of embracing the victim mentality, fight it, face your problems and in time you'll find solutions to them.
  11. Peachdejour

Peachdejour Member

My mother says this to me a lot. It seems to be our mantra whenever hit a rough patch. And it's true. Everything passes and gets better.
    d4rk3n likes this.
  12. keeshamarie

keeshamarie Member

This is so true, as someone who has suffered from depression I can honestly say that it definitely will pass. You have to put your thoughts and energy into a higher power or a channel a place where things seem better than what they really are. It is all about finding yourself and understanding that your life is not over and you have complete control of the outcome.
    d4rk3n likes this.
  13. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

I'm becoming more and more aware of my feelings and how my body responds to each one..especially when it comes to anxiety, fear, depression and loneliness. You know, all the "icky" ones. I've been observing how each feels and it's almost like riding out a wave. I feel the buildup, the intensity and then the feeling slowly slipping away. Every time I ride "the wave" I become more and more equipped to deal with the emotion head-on. I know they can't destroy me.
    d4rk3n likes this.
  14. d4rk3n

Nice to hear you recovered from a rough patch :D
  15. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I agree depression can influence a human to begin and continue using drugs, but I believe the prime reasons for drug use is lack of understanding self and low-esteem. People may presume or assume they know who they are in being, but most people merely exist on the periphery of their awake egos, never to try and understand beyond that perception of mind. Then a lot of people also have low-esteems, because the people who were around them from age 0 to 8 did not guide such people to value their selves. So knowing that most people don't know their true self and have low-esteem, makes him/her a susceptible to become a drug addict. Bad things do not pass without action, because one can sit all day and night thinking and doing little to nothing, but this will not suffice to completely stop one's drug addiction until one know of their true self and have high-esteem! To truly change, one must start with being honest and hold to it.
    d4rk3n likes this.
  16. globulon

globulon Member

I really love the positive attitude and ideas in this thread! Everyone is right, there will always be another day and there's always hope that the next day will be better! Not only that, there are people out there who care for you and will help when asked. You're not alone! Happy new years, everyone!
  17. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

"This too shall pass" is one of my favourite expressions. And further like someone posted earlier, I always tell my son "the sun will come out tomorrow". This thread is filled with positive expressions and encouragement. I am happy to be part of a forum that can build up and not tear down.
  18. weepforsweep

weepforsweep Member

Exercise helps me get out of a bad mood. If your feeling down, try going for a nice walk.
  19. d4rk3n

Or yoga. Or any sport activity you like. In general, anything you can do to distract your mind from your addiction/ depression.
  20. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

All these things are important: distraction, evaluation, choice, consequence, support and patience. I strive for these every day, knowing that I will have to fight for myself each day. I have been blessed with a ferocious resolve as well as guilt when I slip up. I tend to "beat myself up" and tend to do a more efficient job than anyone else I know...which triggers my depression-and the whole house of cards falls again. Does anyone have any advice on how to combat this?