An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Those Commercials

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by AFKATafcar, Jan 17, 2015.

1. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Recently, the US government has started hitting the tobacco industry hard, and you can see that in the new commercials that attack smoking. There's one where a guy rips out a tooth in order to pay for his cigarettes. I found it a little shocking the first time, but then I got annoyed by how often I was seeing said commercial.

Do you feel like these commercials are effective? I do, but only to an extent.
  2. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I'm in Canada so I haven't seen any commercials like that. A guy rips out his tooth to pay for cigarettes? That seems a little extreme, I suppose it's meant to be metaphorical in that he is paying for the cigs with his health. I understand the aim of these commercials but I don't really know how effective they are at getting people to quit.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I'm in UK so I haven't seen any of these commercials either. However, they have started placing images of rotten teeth and lungs, etc on the sides of cigarette packs and tobacco pouches, along with an accompanying warning. It's certainly not a nice thing to look at when you're smoking and serves as a constant reminder. They've also just banned having cigarettes and tobacco on display in UK stores.
  4. ryan0039

ryan0039 Active Contributor

I've seen those before and one of them was actually the inspiration for a good friend of mine to quit. It was the women who had a hole in her throat, and could barely even speak. She's dead now as far as I know, and after seeing it my friend got so scared of the health effects that she just went cold turkey off them and never started again.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I saw one in which a female was using a voice box in a hospital bed. My first thought was that she probably smoked a lot of something else throughout the years to look like that. Some of the commercials are just over the top.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

One of my good friends also decided to go cold turkey two years ago. However, he was also a marijuana smoker and a drinker and he decided to go cold turkey on everything all at the same time. As far as I know, he hasn't touched marijuana, tobacco or alcohol since that day. It can be encouraging to see other people quitting successfully.
  7. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I can't say I find it more annoying than any other commercial. It interrupts the show I'm watching just like any other commercial. I can't say I see it being overly effective though. I mean, people already know that tobacco is addictive, do they not? That's the whole point of not smoking in the first place. I don't think telling teens that tobacco is addictive 736 times throughout their life is any more effective than telling them 735 times.