An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Those darn punk rockers

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by JonnyMacdonald, Jul 20, 2015.

1. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I remember when "punk" rock first hit the scene with the Sex Pistols and The Ramones.
    I vividly remember thinking now here is a bunch of goofs with no talent who just want to party.

Well the other day I was talking to a young man. He look like one of those punk rock types, weird hair, big piercings and tattoos. But he was telling me all about the straight edge ""subculture" he subscribed too.
    The young fellow was very bright, and doesn't indulge in any intoxicating substances.
    I was blown away. He was also a very talented musician.
    I did a little research and it a very interesting topic for you other old fogies like me who are hip to whats going on these days.
    This was the best write up I found on the subject.
    http://www.thefix.com/content/strai...ackaye-hardcore-sober-punk-laura-barcella2024
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I am in my early 30's and that concept of straight-edge was gaining a fair bit of popularity among some crowds back when I was at university. It's always nice, I think, when there's a stereotype that gets blown out of the water.

Most people would look at someone dressed like a punk and often assume that they were trouble, that they were probably into drugs or drinking...so when that goes out the window it's quite refreshing and challenges a lot of the perceptions we hold.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, not all punk rock fans and enthusiasts are party animals. We should not jump to conclusions right away. We don't know what he/she has been through in life so we don't have a right to judge anyone based on his physical appearance alone. I am also into punk rock, but I have never been to bars or clubs to part, get drunk and wasted. This myth about artists and musicians should be debunked.
  4. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I think we’re about the same age because I was just getting into punk rock in my later high school years, and I remember the straight-edge scene was making a resurgence around then. I always liked the idea of rebelling against a common standard of “rebellion” - everyone else is drinking, smoking, getting high, destroying themselves? Well, screw that! Plus the music was quite good :D
  5. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Ah, if it helps close-minded people widen out their perceptives a bit, then good. But part of punk culture is about not caring what others think of you when they think it just because they put you in a box. So it's just a new box.

But still, I don't think that whether someone indulges in sex/alcohol/drugs should be anyone's business unless they are harming others (which is not always the case, even with drugs, even though we want to pretend that every drug use is super dangerous and harmful etc).
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Well, perhaps it opens one's eyes to not judge a book by its cover.
    Straight Edge has been around for a while and it has attracted many people from all walks of life, no matter what their personal orientation is. The idea of a drug-free group or movement that encourages creativity, productivity, art, etc. is something that appeals to those who are tired of the mainstream.
    Punk was just a way of protesting against the Status Quo at the time, a way to set one's mind free from social and political repression. Punk never died... it just changed form, and keeps on thriving these days under various different names.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I remember Minor Threat from back in the day. Whilst it was never something I identified with, I liked the way Straight Edge made it easier for people who just didn't want to drink or get high. A whole sub-culture with no peer pressure at all. I wish there were more "trends" like this.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I liked the way you phrased that, rebelling against rebellion! And yes - a lot of the music around that time was great (I feel about a million years old saying that - as if 10-12 years ago was 50 years ago :D
    CallipygianGamine likes this.
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think that is an stereotype that all the punk rockers live in a party, alcohol and drug use, because those were the most of the rockers in the 70's-90's, and it's true that some of the musicians in our generation use drugs but there are few of them who prefer not to do it, and it's an interesting thing because we all think about punk rockers as if they were all "badass", "against the system" and stuff like that, but there are few of them who actually are aware of the consequences of drug using, because a lot of rockers and people in general have died of drug abuse, so I think is positive thing because in that way they can't influence in other young people!