An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

THOU SHALT NOT STEEL

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Adrianna, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Thou Shalt Not Steel
    People seem to get confused about the meaning... Will of steel, though shalt not steal. Drugs and theft. Seems like prescription drugs cause this problem more than street drugs, although I don’t know.
    Kleptomania; a recurrent urge to steal, typically without need or profit.
    Thief : person who steals another person’s property, esp by stealth and without using force or violence.
    Amazing what you find out when you look it up. The difference between right and wrong seems to be the issue with theft and the klepto.
    There was this interview with Cameron Diaz and she was talking about how she didn’t understand why people steal. Apparently it was being done to her. Look it her, how beautiful. How bright and brilliant she is. Why? Well to steal her light. They want to see if they can hurt her. Jealousy, self hatred, lack of control seems to be the theme. Probably fits in most scenarios. Seems to be a learned behavior, monkey see monkey do.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

In the case of drug abuse people steal out of desperation and a lack of money to support there habit. Some people steal because of a lack of understanding morals, thinking they'll get ahead when there really robbing themselves. What goes around comes around this isn't a myth. I've learned that in life the best way to get ahead is to give what you want coming back to you.
  3. Joyner

Joyner Member

Most people who steal aren't thinking about the other person at all. It isn't about wanting to hurt the other person directly, or thinking about them in a positive way either. It seems to me that if a person's personal needs is all they can think about, they will have no awareness whatsoever in how they are hurting another person. It's irrelevant to them. It all boils down to fulfilling their own need.

It seems almost elementary, but maybe Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is something that people need to understand during any intervention. People need to understand that your basic needs have to be fulfilled before you can even think about being a "moral" person. It isn't pleasant, but the number one instinct is survival, not morals. If people understand that they need to focus on getting themselves together, they wouldn't be preoccupied with stealing from anyone else.
    Jasmine2015 and JonnyMacdonald like this.
  4. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

A lot of times too Joyner people will justify theft by saying that the person will receive compensation from insurance companies so no one really is hurt. But it hurts us all in the form of higher premiums for law-abiding people.
    But yes, if you are starving on the street then goal one is food, morals be damned.
    This day and age there are other options, at my church we regularity help out people in need.
    Sometimes it helps them turn their life around, other times it just means they have more money for drugs.
    We just help everyone, we let God judge them.
  5. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Stealing from others is no good no matter the reason. Like for instance some may like the story of Robin hood when he steals from the rich and gives to the poor. Is this the best solution long term? Nope. The problems will still persist. I find empowerment in being able to get the things I need myself, not by taking from others. You might be full filling some type of need but in the process of stealing you are doing it at the expense of the victim you are stealing from.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Drug addicts are selfish. They steal because they care only about themselves. Nay they care only about getting their "fix." Stealing from a loved one isn't seen as stealing by them especially if what they steal is something they think you can do without. When you realize that someone is stealing from you to fund their addiction you need to take action immediately because when they no longer can steal from you they might try to steal from someone else and get themselves in trouble.
    JonnyMacdonald likes this.
  7. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Stealing from others in any circumstance is not usually about the other person, but rather about the persons needs. If they are an addict it may be to buy more drugs. In other circumstances it may be for food or clothing or provisions for their family. People steal for many reasons, but hardly ever to hurt someone. Although it does happen when they are jealous.
  8. Adrianna

Alright that is an interesting statement. People hardly ever steal to hurt someone. This is because they are selfish and THINK it won't hurt the person they are stealing from. However, THAT is far from the truth. It does hurt someone if another steals from them no matter what it is. Its just wrong. But this is the world of the strange and twisted who lack respect for others. If they lived in a culture where their fingers would be cut off for stealing that would hurt, and, I'm sure they would think twice about actually bothering to do it in the first place.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

First of all, awesome thread title. I love Old English and I have been thinking about learning it in the upcoming future.

The main difference between a thief and a kleptomaniac is that the latter does not know that what they are doing is wrong, or at least can't stop if even if they want to. Most of the things they steal aren't even useful to them, they just do it because they feel the urge to do so.

A thief steals because they need something which they cannot acquire right at that moment so they are trying to find an easier way to do so. Many addicts steal because they have no money left for drugs and they are afraid of staying without them. These are thieves, and this is not a mental disorder like kleptomania.

People should learn to differentiate between these two, because one needs treatment and the other one needs punishment. You can't put them both in the same cauldron.
  10. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Kleptomaniacs and thieves are entirely different types of people. My husband has a cousin who formerly lived at their house. She stole some of his mom's jewellery and even stole gadgets from her workplace. We don't know for certain if she's a thief or if she has this condition called kleptomania. But I think since she deliberately steals expensive things, it must be because she's a thief. Kleptomaniacs steal something because they want it, even though it's just a pencil or a handkerchief, an urge is there to steal even senseless things.

So for me, a drug user cannot be a kleptomaniac in the sense that they're addiction is what's making them steal money to buy drugs. They don't have an urge to steal but rather a need to steal to support their drug use.
  11. Adrianna

Oh thanks. Yeah, thou shalt not. Lol. Yes the klepto steals for the thrill not for profit or gain.
    "a thief steals because they need something" hmmm. They think they need something. How small is a person who acts this way? They are missing out on something seriously great by having zero trust in their universe. This idea of I need this so I am going to take it because they think they need it. All they have to do is use their mind and imagination a little. It will come and they don't have to steal it in order to get it. Doing the right thing instead of this.
    Wanting is a bottomless pit. You want this, you want that. I gotta have this I gotta have that. It doesn't end. Nothing like this ever brings happiness. It will only be temporary.
  12. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Of course they were stealing from a celebrity. She has a lot of money and belongings. So that doesn't surprise me.
  13. Adrianna

Ofcourse? Lol Just like that. Because she's a celebrity? Ok. That has something to do with it but I think its more because she is slender and beautiful. There are plenty of rich celebrities that don't have this happen. People are just sick and jealous. They want attention. She's not talking about a thug that broke in.
    But in any case my point is she doesn't understand it because they are people who seem like they would never in a million years have any need to do this. I guess maybe if you are not a super model type like her you might not get it. Thugs would rather be her friend. Lol They probably wouldn't even have any desire to steal from her.
  14. denise13337

denise13337 Active Contributor

I don't think there is such a deep meaning or that big of a connection between stealing and drug abuse. People are drug addicts, they spend all their money on their addiction, then they start stealing to support their addiction.
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

People who have no morals when it comes to coveting other people's belongings will always steal. I think the only time that they will stop is when they are caught. Cameron Diaz seems to have no idea that people steal because they have a financial or material need that they can't afford, or they steal out of pure greed.
  16. Adrianna

Well it's not happening to her because they are poor. Yes morals does have a lot to do with it. Morals and standards. Getting caught, now that is interesting indeed. Getting caught and all of this only perpetuates it really. Ask people in prison if they did it. They will go out and just do it again. Never admit to anything. There is a better way it's called reform and they've got to admit it on their own; or at least realize that it's not the way. I think I've said grow some morals. Lol Not sure if that is possible.
  17. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

When it comes to drugs, it's like people's conscience goes out the window. When your a drug addict all that matters is getting money to fund the addiction. It is really sad.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I wouldn't go as far as to say that drug addicts don't have any morals or a conscience, it's just that the addiction takes over and their willpower isn't strong enough to resist.

Drugs can take away a big part of a person, and when the addiction as taken hold, people will resort to any lengths to feed it.
  19. serenity

serenity Community Champion

@Adrianna, True, I know someone who is a klepto, and even if everyone knows that she is one she still does it everytime and will do it again given the chance. It's like for these people, the end justifies the means. No morals and integrity whatsoever.
  20. malavicious

malavicious Member

Thou shalt not steal has always seemed like one of the most flexible commandments to me. I mean, we admire and look up to people like Robin Hood for stealing from the rich and giving to the poor, but if we took the commandment literally, does this not mean he was a villain simply for stealing and thus condemned to hell? On one hand, I can understand doing whatever you gotta do to survive, but on the other, resorting to theft instead of exhausting all other options seems like taking the path of least resistance to me. I mean, if a perfectly healthy black male decides that in order to buy himself that shiny new Xbox One he should start carjacking instead of getting a job and opening a savings account, obviously that would be the wrong course. Now if the same black male had bills to pay, no job, and the food stamps ran out two months ago and resorts to carjacking in order to put food in his baby's mouth, could you really say that was wrong, or that circumstance beyond his control have forced him into this situation?

Kleptomania is as much a mental issue as being addicted to drugs, though. Your friend probably steals simply to feel that thrill over and over again and likely needs mental help. If you see her again, I highly suggest you talk to her about seeking therapy.