An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Thoughts on doing a water detox?

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by kirachan, Aug 24, 2015.

1. kirachan

kirachan Member

Hey all!

I've been considering doing a water detox for a while now. This is a detox where you take no drugs (caffeine, taurine, etc) for a few weeks to a month to get your body back in tune.

You are supposed to eat extremely clean and drink only water as well in order to clean your system out.

Thoughts on this? Has anyone tried it themselves?
  2. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

How much water? And I'm assuming you eat too and don't just drink water. With just the information you've given, it's hard to give thoughts on it. The first thing that pops to mind though is that it isn't safe to drink too much water. There is a thing called water poisoning that you can get from too high a water intake, especially if you aren't eating enough.
  3. sony4life

sony4life Member

I would recommend doing a healthy juice diet for a few days first. This way you can see how your body reacts to a detox. Also, juice detox are generally healthier than just a water diet. I agree with @Ali16 you don't want to over drink water and get sick. I also think a few weeks is too long for a detox. My recommendation would be a juice detox for a few days.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Water detox alone won't cut it. You have to thoroughly wash out the drugs from your system with lots of fiber (they clean up the cells). Water does reinforce certain detox approaches, but by itself it's not sufficient. Sweating it out by exercising also helps.
  5. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Where did you get the idea for this? I doubt that it would be effective. Also, too much water can be harmful for the body. Water can be helpful in flushing a system...but if your problem is drug related it better be under medical supervison.
  6. PLP Rob

PLP Rob Active Contributor

If you're eating "extremely clean" and drinking only water, I can't see how this wouldn't have a positive effect. The only concern I'd have is: What happens after a month is up? If you go back to prior habits and undo the work you put in, then what's the point in the first place? I think a better alternative is to strive for moderation with caffeine, etc., as that is a more sustainable goal.
  7. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Drinking a lot of water and staying away from all drugs including stuff like caffeine, I think, can help your system. I know a lot of former addicts who have done stuff like this just so they could feel what it is like to not have any drugs in their system at all, even stuff like coffee and sugar.

I'm not totally sure what "eating extremely clean" means though, and I think the phrase eating clean can be kind of misleading and even silly at times. But staying away from as much unhealthy stuff as possible while eating a balanced diet and drinking a lot of water sure can't hurt you!
  8. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I have and it's a great idea. It really helps clear your system out.
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Mostly all I drink is water. This is the best thing to detox the body; you need water anyway, so yes this will work. I don't know about caffeine and taurine. Raw foods, juicing, or all fruits. This is the best way to detox the body. You will be surprised how the body detoxes so fast this way.
  10. Helpmeplz

Helpmeplz Member

What fruits
  11. Rosco14

Rosco14 Member

Water detoxes are actually a great idea, even if you do not have an addiction. Our bodies are able to survive 40 days without food. Drinking only water for 4 days will cleanse your system. You got to make sure you do an enema to help with the process. I have done the cleanse three times (2 of them just for health benefits, one for smoking addiction). You will get hungry and crabby, but it's so worth it! Good luck!
  12. remnant

remnant Community Champion

A water detox is quite okay. But you have to observe certain easy precautions. For instance, you should not drink too much water in one go. The best strategy is to drink a glass at a time throughout the day and night if possible. This would prevent water poisoning. For a much better detox, you should warm the water and squeeze lemon juice into the water and you should see some changes in the first week. especially on your skin.
  13. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member

I think it is worth a shot. People are talking about water poisoning but to be honest I don't think you would consume that much water, a very high amount is needed for it to hurt you. As long as you eat healthy and don't tire yourself out to much I doubt you would get negative results. I spent a whole year drinking only water and it was the healthiest I felt in ages, go for it!
  14. TungstenCube

TungstenCube Member

I've actually tried this! At first, it was quite difficult, to be honest. Withdrawal is very difficult and the lack of endorphins and dopamine from substances such as caffeine can almost cripple you for a few days until you become used to the new normal. After two months without coffee, I had one cup (down from three per day, previously), and I was wired! It's worth a try and it's an interesting life experience. I would highly suggest it.
  15. Sealpikachu

Sealpikachu Member

The withrawal is definitely hard! I found however that after the first week or so, the cravig goes away completely. At one point, I could have somebody next to m binging and I would not even feel tempted. In fact, just one sip of coke or coffee would feel ridicuously loaded with sugar and would make my stomach upset.
  16. CryingCanary

CryingCanary Active Contributor

I've tried a water detox/fast. It was a short one (4 days). I say short because it can usually take up to a week for you to reach ketosis and that was my main goal. Anyways, so it was hard for me to do but it definitely "restarted" my eating process and made me not want to drink, which is a huge achievement I think. It's a good idea but if you decide to do it - be careful. Go at your own pace and don't forget to break the detox with some light juice or food. Fruit and veggies are your best friends.