An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Thoughts on Virtual Reality Therapy?

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by Rainman, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Apparently virtual reality therapy is at times used to treat patients with anxiety disorders and phobias. Since it works [or so I've heard] for said conditions I suppose it can also be used to treat addiction or at the very least help an addict deal with anxiety-related issues that might be what makes them use drugs.

Can someone please provide some more information about how this works?
  2. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is an aspect of Virtual Reality Therapy which focuses on a specific problem by helping a patient identify and recognize disturbing thought patterns and feelings which lead to destructive behaviour like drug abuse. These include phobias, anxiety disorders and stress. When an addict quits using drugs, he or she has to confront these factors that led them to addiction in the first place.
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

Virtual reality therapy (VRT) uses specially programmed computers, visual immersion devices and artificially created environments to give the patient a simulated experience that can be used to diagnose and treat psychological conditions that cause difficulties for patients. The virtual world is a means of providing artificial, controlled stimuli in the context of treatment, and with a therapist able to monitor the patient's reaction.
  4. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, there is a treatment in psychological counseling known as systematic desentisization which is exposing clients to anxiety provoking therapy, bit by bit until their anxiety or phobia has lessened. I haven't heard of Virtual Reality Therapy with addicts, but it is an interesting idea.