An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Tic-tacs

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by sksmith094, Aug 12, 2015.

1. sksmith094

sksmith094 Member

I wanted to share this little tiny method that really helped me quit smoking. I haven't touched a cigarette in almost a year now and still to this day I use the tic-tac method. Every time you want a cig, just have a tic tac! By the time you've swallowed it and have minty breath you won't even want a cig anymore.

Sounds simple but it really does work. Someone who quit successfully shared it with me and now that I've quit myself I think I should share it with you all!
    amethyst likes this.
  2. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

That's a really simple and inexpensive idea! I quit not too long ago and had tried many different methods previously. One of the (many) things that assisted me this time was sugar-free chewing gum. As with the tic-tacs every time I felt the urge I would put a stick of gum in my mouth. To be completely honest this didn't totally solve the cravings, but at least it was maintaining my oral hygiene and keeping me occupied for any short cravings.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I never heard of that before. Maybe it psychological, just occupying your mouth with something other then a cigarette puts your mind elsewhere. On a side note I know of bus drivers that use that same method to not fall asleep on long drives.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Sounds like a great idea and healthy too. So many people when they quit smoking turn to food to satisfy that craving. I know when my Dad quit years ago he did it with sugar-free gum. He never chewed gum before but he chewed lots of gum after but it worked for him. Glad the tic-tac methods works for you! Congrats on one year of being smoke free, that is awesome!!
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Great idea. I used Dum-Dum suckers, but Tic-Tacs are certainly less conspicuous! :)
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I used lemons. :) Every time I felt like a cigarette, I squeezed a few drops of lemon into half a glass of water and retrained my mind. Not just did I receive the benefit of extra vitamin C, but I also lost my desire to smoke. For a while I got a little addicted to lemon, which wasn't a bad thing. :) I still drink lemon water first thing every morning. It was all about exchanging one habit for another.
  7. michaelrydell

michaelrydell Member

Thanks for the post. I'll try the tic tac trick. Also, the lemon water is a good idea. I've heard smoking eats up your body's Vitamin C extremely fast.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is the first time I've heard of tic-tacs being used for this. I've heard of nicorette gum before, but this sounds better. This could be a breakthrough for chained smokers. I have heard that mint helps with nicotine addiction. This might really work well for everyone. I mean who doesn't like tic-tacs they taste pretty good.
  9. Emerson_B

Emerson_B Active Contributor

I tried lollipops, the small ones, before just to have something like a cigarette sticking out my mouth. It worked for a few months but did not have enough willpower back then. I used tic-tacs before to lessen the smell of cigarette on my breath but never heard of it being used for this purpose.