An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Time

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by OGRICHBOI, Feb 25, 2015.

1. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI Member

86,400. Think of that number in your head all day. Imagine someone gave you $86,400 everyday, for the next 50 years. You would obviously spend this money wisely, and spend it all. However, the extra money you do have at the end is thrown away. There are 86,400 seconds in a day. You are awake and breathing, and time's a-ticking to say the least. What will YOU do? It does not matter what your neighbor does, or what your co-worker does, or what your enemy DID.

Live now. Go out and do something. Leave a legacy, set goals and smash them to the ground. Let time be a motivating factor.
    Rainman likes this.
  2. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

You be surprise at what people will do with this amount of money everyday, because most people will spend it on frivolous consumer products and services. Also, $1,576,800,000 is the sum total one would get if he/she received $86,400 dollars per day for the next 50 years, that's a lot of money to spend but can also disappear over night! Money isn't everything, because money was created by man as a purpose to serve as a "medium of exchange" for things he/she couldn't produce or have time to create - what money can do as a tool is almost akin to a magic trick, which is why its sought out by so many humans even though it's value comes directly from the mind of humans.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I guess most people never get to realize that the time they waste doing drugs never is going to come back. Once it's gone, it's gone. What you would have done then, you'll never do. That's why I always advise people not to procrastinate. Put not off to tomorrow what you can do today. Or even now if you can. I think taking note of how valuable time is can be a good motivation for staying away not just from drugs but from all other addictions that merely waste people's time.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

My political philosophy teacher used to say: "Time is the only dictator you can't overthrow." I had to agree with him for a few years so I couldn't think of a better retort, but recently I've changed my outlook. The only way to cheat time is to do so much in this lifetime. It's a tall order but if you set out to be great, not only will you be powerful enough to change innumerable lives for the better, but you'll also be remembered for eons that time would have regretted not stopping for you.
  5. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

Even if you had given the chance and the opportunity to have big amount of money if you will not use it wisely it is nothing and will disappear suddenly if you do not know how to handle it with care and how to spend it in the right time and at the right place like this huge amount of money. I knew some people who are blessed to have more money in life but in the end living without nothing at all no more money because of too much spending on material things and too many luxuries in their life. They had just wasted that opportunity of having many money and all went to nothing at this point in time of their life.
  6. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well there are a lot of people who would blow that amount on non-essential things such as cars and jewellery. Money is not the most important thing in life as there are countless people with a lot of money but are so miserable that they would even kill themselves. Strive to be happy and to be of value to society and you will lead a productive life.
  7. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

Yeah, in most cases we tend to waste what each day brings, taking for granted the fact that each day is actually a gift from God. It is indeed very important that we make full use of our time daily to something else worthwhile or something that will actually make a difference in your life or other people's lives.

There's so much to do, it's just a matter of really prioritizing time for more valuable activities.
  8. ReadmeByAmy

Another moral lesson I may add to my previous comment is that not all people are born to be blessed to be rich or to have that big amount of money. Sometimes money can be the roots of all evil and it had been proven already and it happened to some people. Do not envy if other people had many money. If you are hardworking you can have money coming from the fruits of your labor. What we called instant money not coming from hard work are not worth it that is why other people do not use or spend it wisely.
  9. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

I totally agree with you. Sometimes, money can be very attractive and it's so easy for people to make the assumption that those who are rich are so blessed and happy with their lives. However, it's really true that not everything depends on money. Being rich is not a guarantee of happiness. In most cases, you would even hear a lot of stories of rich people committing suicide because of depression.
  10. ReadmeByAmy

@wander_n_wonder Yes it is true that being rich is not a guarantee of happiness. Sometimes those with lots of money are the ones with lots of miseries in their life. They can buy and have everything in their life but sad to say they had personal and family problems all the time compared to those people who had little money but are living a happy and contented life.
  11. VitaMuse

VitaMuse Member

So true! Drugs and addictions serve as distractions from everyday life and it's easy to lose track of what makes you happy. Remembering how valuable time is and ensuring that you spend as much of your time as you can making yourself and other people happy can really help you overcome cruel vices.

I believe it's important not to be worried about time though, or how much of it you have left. This could possibly lead to more stress and depression. Unfortunately, many people spend their time trying to accumulate large amounts of money, 86,000 a day isn't far off what some of the best professional sportsmen are getting, people see this and aspire to be like them. Big house, fast cars. In reality, for most, it's un-attainable and un-realistic. If we all spent our time worrying less about money and more about ourselves and the people around us, then a positive change would be inevitable!
    Rainman likes this.
  12. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I feel like so many people stress over finances and over paying bills that they do not use some of that money to actually live life.
  13. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I've got a well organised day divided between working for money and my creative pursuits. I just thought today how important it is for me to be able to spend many happy hours with concentrating on my artistic work, and to have that inner dialogue that keeps me balanced and positive. If I spend too much time chasing after money, I start feeling empty, because I only ever pursue it in order to be comfortable and to be able to buy the tools and supplies that I need for my artistic expression.
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Time is too precious to just waste it away. We have to make everything that we do worthwhile. We have to live our life to the fullest but don't get extremely wild. There's got to be balance in everything. You only live once, so you have to make your journey here on earth an amazing one.
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Time is really priceless! :)
    Valuing time is valuing life as we just have limited time to live. Acknowledging that could help us feel motivated to make use of time wisely than spending it on unwanted things or substances.
  16. jon

jon Active Contributor

Wow.That an inspirational way to look at how we spend the time that we have in a given day. I really love the part about smashing goals to the ground.
  17. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

That just hit straight in the heart. Time cannot be recalled and we ought to use it wisely. This could not be more "timely". It's time I got off my fat ...tt and did something meaningful. I just wasted a good many thousands of seconds. I hope it's not too late "to smash em to the ground!
  18. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

If I've ever learned anything in my life, it's that time is a commodity. It is very precious to people because we are mortal. If you do certain stupid or detrimental things in your life, sometimes you pay for it with time.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

What's the saying? Time is money. I guess. What would I do? I'd have a lot left over or learn to spend more. Go to the bank every day and invest in a CD before the daily balance ran out.
    Seems like a trick question. "time's a ticking" you say. I guess people say this for a reason. Not sure what this has to do with addiction. Money perhaps can be an addiction. Knowing what to do with it when you have it more than likely the key. Some people have no time. Others have no money. No happiness, or maybe what on the surface seems like happiness. I think if you can find all the happiness you have for whatever is in your life. You will have all the time in the world. All the money that you could need. Being anxious, needy, and feeling lack; of time, money, and happiness doesn't amount to much. "she acts like she has all the time in the world." Might be annoying to others who have no time for this or that. Maybe because she does or does allow it. "he acts like he has all the money in the world." Maybe because he does, or allows it. Maybe the real question is ; how can you have all the happiness in the world? I've seen some this way. This is the real richness of living.
  20. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think sometimes it's easy to get complacent and forget that we are only here for a limited time. We put things off looking for the perfect time to do them - and that's never really the case with anything, because when is timing 100% perfect?

Sometimes we just have to do the best we can with what we've got!