An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Tips for Beginning your Journey into Sobriety

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Merricat, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Merricat

Merricat Member

I'm now taking the first steps into sobriety after years of having issues with alcohol. I feel woefully unprepared and anxious about leaving booze behind and wondering if I can even do it. I feel like I have all of this time stretching before me that I now have to fill without drinking, and I'm going to have to figure out who I am when I don't have alcohol in my life. I almost feel like I am leaving a part of myself behind, even though I know that it was never the real me.

What helped you when you first became sober? Is there any advice you share?
  2. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

A supportive family and no job to support my habits. A was broke and no job. so the only people who card was my family, my only support group.
  3. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

How wonderful that you are taking the first step into a different life. I can only tell you from my own experience to go with the flow. It's possible that a lot of long suppressed issues will rise from your subconscious and you might feel quite shaken up. Try not to be too hard to yourself. Give yourself time for the grief, anger, sadness and whatever else might surface from the depth of your inner self. At the same time try to stay busy. Do something creative to channel your feelings into. Also keep up with some form of exercise such as riding your bike, swimming, etc.
    Perhaps you also want to find some like-minded people with whom you can talk about your inner and outer processes. And most important of all, always remember that you are not alone in this. :)
    Merricat likes this.
  4. regicide3342

regicide3342 Member

One thing I can suggest that you do is to create a to-do list. I keep mine on my phone, and everytime I wake up in the morning, I open up the list and plan my day from there.
    I have an obsession to always add stuff and finish things listed in my to-do list.I really enjoy getting things done and I always want to do more, so a to-do list works well for me. Of course, you need to make sure the things you do are beneficial to you and to the people around you. A well done list of things you want to achieve every day will slingshot you towards a better future.
  5. Merricat

Merricat Member

Thanks for the support and good advice! I need to put sticky notes all over my apartment that say 'TRY NOT TO BE TOO HARD ON YOURSELF!" because that is something that I really struggle with. I need to learn to accept myself and let myself feel what I'm going to feel, since I definitely drank to avoid feeling.

Doing something creative and being active are both great ideas. I'm finding myself interested in doing things that I haven't done in years, like drawing and writing. I'm also lucky to live in an area that has lots of natural beauty where I can go out and hike and be in nature. Maybe I'll take the bike for a spin tomorrow too!
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Just try to focus on your goal to become clean and sober. As much as possible, stay away from people who would influence you to drink again. Try to have some self-control so you would not be easily triggered. I know you can do it. Take one step at a time.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

You just have to keep yourself busy. The more things you are focusing on the less time you'll have to worry about getting stressed over your cravings. Also the best part about it is that you actually get things done and thus become a lot more productive as a person.
  8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I had goals. I had a vision board with all the things I wanted to achieve and that helped me to pursue my recovery process.
    It's also important to have your friends help you and support you through the hard times.
  9. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I think people typically drink for reasons other than just wanting to get drunk. And when you first stop drinking a lot of those issues will come bubbling up to the surface like hot lava. If you focus on dealing with those issues rather than focusing on the ultimate goal of sobriety. If you can't sleep because you haven't had a drink, or if you can't eat or relax, solve those issues with a means other than alcohol. It'll really make it a lot easier to quit. It can be overwhelming to think about giving up the booze. But, for example, needing help falling asleep is an easy one to fix.
  10. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

What helped my boyfriend in getting sober was alcool-free beer. It's easier to replace an habit than to completely remove it, they say!

I think other people are completely right, though -- to fix the problems that drove you to drinking, to have set goals and to look for alternative ways of dealing with the anxiety of quitting should be your main focuses. You can just try to work on being happy, too. Maybe journaling would be a good idea: every morning, write three things you could do to make this day a good one, or an awesome one. Three "mindsets" or "intentions", if you will. Then, at the end of the day, write down three good things, things that made you happy or that you are proud of. Also, write down three things to be grateful about.

Keep in touch with yourself this way and with your happiness. Try also to keep in touch with positive influences in your life, and distance yourself a bit from the negative influences. You'll be fine.
    Merricat likes this.
  11. Merricat

Merricat Member

Wow this is a great idea thank you! I used to keep a journal when I was younger and it was something that sort of fell by the wayside as I grew older. I think this would also be helpful for me to go back and read whenever I am feeling tempted to drink, so I can see how my life has improved and is continuing to improve without alcohol in my life.
    bluedressed likes this.
  12. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Yes :) I've used as many tools as possible for me to make myself feel good this year, when I felt I lost my drive and my goals as well as most of my social support when I moved away from home. Writing down things that made me feel happy or grateful made me realize what at the end of the day had mattered -- and it was often not what I made big deals or drama out of! Really gives some perspective :) And the "three things to make the day awesome" I found from someone else on an online class -- and it inspired me too because it's all about taking control and making things go your way, a few steps at a time!
  13. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

You CAN do it. You shouldn't start off thinking you won't be able to do it. You have to have faith in yourself. It's all about having confidence in your success. Just keep repeating to yourself that you can do it and that there's nothing that can get in your way, and little by little, you'll amass the required amount of self-confidence to overcome your addiction. I believe in you.
    Merricat likes this.
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Lots of things went into me to become sober. I had bills, a job, and matter to attend to. My family was always there for me. I wanted them to stop worrying about me, so I had to stop putting them through this.