An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Tips for Choosing a Rehab Center

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by springbreeze, Nov 2, 2014.

1. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

What tips do you have for choosing the best rehab center? I'm looking for a rehab centers for a close uncle. So, I'd be interested in hearing tips from both a helper point-of-view and someone who's actually gone to a rehab center. Thanks.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hi springbreeze,
    There are a lot of great rehab centers out there. I've been to a few :)

I'd consider these must-haves:
    • A full staff of medical & mental health professionals (nurses/physicians/a board certified addictionologist - counselors/psychologists/a board certified psychiatrist )
    • Medicated detox
    • Individual, group and family counseling
    • An outpatient program - to attend after being discharged from inpatient rehab
    These are also really nice:
    • Lots of recreational activities - to keep busy between classes and therapy sessions
    • Lots of family and friend visitation time
    • The option of having your own room
    • Good food (we get pretty hungry after detox)

If you need help choosing the best rehab for your uncle, call our rehab center hotline at 1-800-943-0566.
    springbreeze likes this.
  3. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

choosing a center can be a bit difficult as there are a lot of things to think about. For example do you want an inpatient or outpatient -- which one is more likely to help you succeed? Do you want to be in a program close to home where family and friends can still have access to you or would you rather take some time away at a farther off location where you can better focus on your treatment? These are just a few things to think about. Then of course is the type of program, voluntary release or doctor recommended release etc. etc. Take your time thinking about these answers and apply them to deciding which treatment center to go to.
  4. sytn_27

sytn_27 Member

There are a lot of factors to consider in choosing the right rehab center for a family member. In our country, there is a limited number of rehab centers and mostly are private institutions. The center needs to have trained and competent staff that are available 24 hours. The institution must also provide a safe environment that includes recreational facilities. Visiting hours should also be negotiable. You should also be able to discuss an individualized plan for your family member or friend. Not everybody will respond to the same treatment.
  5. Strykstar

Strykstar Active Contributor

I think it's essential to actually visit the location and if possible when you are there try to talk with a few patients and especially with their relatives, try to get some opinions on what the conditions are in that particular center, then it's a matter of weighing the pros and cons of each alternative location.