An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Tips for choosing a sober living home

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by springbreeze, Nov 2, 2014.

1. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

What tips do you have for choosing the right sober living home. This home would be for my uncle. So, I'd love to hear tips from another helper as well as someone who's actually lived in a sober home. Thanks.
    Joseph likes this.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

The cheapest and best sober living would be to go camping. I never thought of it as a sober living, but it would be the best way to do it. Just get lost in the woods or at the beach for a week. Live off the land or have adequate supplies. Totally disconnect with all bad influences.
    springbreeze likes this.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Sounds peaceful, @JoshPosh
    I believe sober living homes are more of a long-term drug and alcohol free situation. More of a supportive environment where you're expected to work/adjust to a sober lifestyle rather than a vacation.
  5. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I also agree with you that the environment where we raise our families plays a significant role in shaping their character and forming a strong foundation of good morals and good behavior.
  6. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

Most people don't turn to sober living homes until the law has forced them to do so. A lot of times sober living homes are very much run like jails. You are forced to be there with certain requirements and if you do not abide by them you can risk being put back in jail. That's why a lot of them aren't publicly advertised.
  7. 6up

6up Community Champion

You should consider the location where the sober home is situated. A good sober home should be located away from polluted areas. You should also choose a sober home which has different amenities. Consider the general cost of staying and choose a sober home where it will be cheaper for him to stay.
  8. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I agree with JoshPosh, camping is an awesome way to not only stay away from alcohol, but to get away from things. Just bring what you need, including some healthy food. Not only will this take your mind away from things, but you can remove yourself from the stress of the modern world. Including things like technology and pollution, if you live in a polluted city, take a drive to somewhere clean and it will help with your health. Camping isn't for everyone, but the benefits make it worth a try for everyone.
  9. remnant

remnant Community Champion

The best sober living homes are sponsored by religious institutions like the church. They have friendly and supportive staff as well as a serene and tranquil ambience. Peace of mind is one factor to look out for since lack of it is a driver of addiction. Church based sober living homes offer counselling and outreach services and attempt to repair the moral foundation of recovering addicts.