An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Tips for functional drinking

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by drc52, Feb 14, 2015.

1. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I've got a friend who recently had his first drink. Alcoholism runs in his family but he's a responsible guy so advising him not to drink would be considered offensive. What advice should I give him on how to control his consumption? Any help would be much appreciated!
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The only way to broach the subject without offending him is by skirting around the subject. Make no direct reference to the possibility of him getting addicted because his genes make him more vulnerable. I'd suggest watching a movie in which the protagonist struggles with an addiction. This should present you the opportunity to warn your friend that if he doesn't watch it he could end up being an addict too.
    drc52 likes this.
  3. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

Thanks for the advice. Do you know any films which feature such a protagonist? I'm having a hard time finding one. That's certainly a good method though!
  4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

You CAN be a functional alcoholic. It doesn't mean you're doing the right thing. I've found some people have the ability to stop drinking & some get pass out drunk. I'd observe him & see where it goes. If you feel like he's having a hard time controlling himself take him out to eat something & talk about it. Just don't talk about it within a scenario where drinking is still occurring. That usually doesn't work out.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The following are some great movies with drug addiction as their central theme:

- Requiem for a Dream
    - Altered States
    - The Boost
    - Trainspotting
    - Leaving Las Vegas
    - The Basketball Diaries
  6. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

Thanks for this list. I'm familiar with 'Leaving Las Vegas' and 'Requiem for a Dream'. Which of these films do you think would be the most interesting for a younger, shorter attention span audience?
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Just be honest and tell him the truth. Be straight up and truthful. I am amazed at how many people just don't know how to tell someone the blunt truth.
    pineywood likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

If alcoholism runs in their family then he might not go down the same path as he'll be only to well aware of what can happen.

As long as he has friends that he can turn to if he feels it's getting out if hand, there's not much others can do.
  9. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

Let him know to not drink to get drunk. Many people do not know how to enjoy the level that they are at, a mild buzz can be just as if not more enjoyable than drunkenness. There seems to be a switch in our bodies that tells us we need to have more alcohol, that we are not drunk enough yet, and no amount is ever enough. Contrary to drunken belief, you can in fact, only have one or two drinks and still enjoy yourself. Also, make sure to remind him to always have a DD or call a cab, stay at home or to stay where he is if he has gotten to the point of drunkenness.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Jolly good point JoshPosh - what on earth is wrong with saying "Don't end up like Auntie Margaret"? Sometimes a bit of straight talking is the only thing that will do. Tell your friend that you don't want him to go down that route and whilst you are not saying that he shouldn't drink, you just want to remind him to be careful.
  11. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Well... if someone just had their first drink, I think it's a bit early to be thinking up apocalyptic scenarios. As it so happens, your friend probably noticed the alcoholism in his family (unless he's daft). I think you should voice out your concern frankly, "Hey, but you know that in your family, that's a problem, right?". Skirting around and leaving hints might be a way to do it, but I think I'd feel offended by that, too. Not only does my friend not trust my judgment, but cannot be honest about it and instead act like it's a big deal? Maybe it's just me, but I think people who cannot cut to the chase can give off the feeling that they're blowing things out of proportion.
    pineywood likes this.
  12. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Just tell him what you want to tell, but in a polite way. Since you are friends I'm sure he will understand and won't get mad at you or something.
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Have you thought about referring him to this forum? He may get some good insight from recovering addicts here and probably understand the valuable information that everyone is trying to put out.
    It doesn't hurt to try.
  14. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

If he is a responsible guy and a friend, I do not think you expressing your concern has to be said in an offensive way. As others suggest, just do not beat around the bush. Sure a movie may help, but only in conjunction with a conversation. Of course, just my opinion. You know, your friend the best. Good luck.
  15. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

That's a great idea, there is so much wisdom and advice here which is well worth reading, particularly if you are pre-disposed to addiction as your friend may well be given his family circumstances.