An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Tips for Helping a Friend Stop Drinking

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by trilunar, Mar 17, 2015.

1. trilunar

trilunar Member

I have a close friend who wants to quit drinking. He's been in the habit of drinking daily for several years. I understand that quitting alcohol is one of those things that you have to really want to do to be successful, and even then it's a tough process. We have a couple of other hobbies that we share, and involving ourselves in those sometimes helps to take his mind off of drinking. But more often than not, he reverts back to his "one or two" drinks to make him feel better from the previous night's hangover. And usually that escalates to a six pack. What can I do to help him cut down, and eventually quit? I believe he is sincere in his wish to stop drinking.
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

If he is sincere in this endeavor, then you should try keeping him busy when you're with him. Get out some more and try some vigorous activities like exercising or taking longer hikes in the mountains. Basically, you should just be there for him and try to discourage him from having those "one or two drinks" whenever possible. You can't be there every waking moment of the day, though.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

It's a tough process, but it sounds like he really wants to quit. Having a good friend to support him is very important. If he is willing to talk about his drinking issues with you in detail, it might be helpful to have a conversation about what triggers him to start, why he wants to do it, and figure out some ways to avoid falling for the temptation when it strikes. Doing something with a friend is a great way to stay occupied in a positive way at the times he would otherwise be drinking.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Since he mostly drinks to feel better, you should try to get him to stop drinking at night. As it has been suggested staying busy is probably the most effective way for your friend to keep his mind off alcohol. If you are free most nights, then the two of you could find something you both enjoy and do it together. That would be option #1.

Option #2 is this:

http://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2007/01/24/how-to-make-commitments-you-will-actually-keep/
    "When you fail to keep a commitment your brain immediately starts looking for a cause."

Your friend should make a commitment to abstain from alcohol completely. Since he wants to overcome his addiction he must be willing to make sacrifices.
  5. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

If your friend is really decided to quit drinking alcohol then he will surely listen to your advice and will accept your help to support him on his way to his recovery. Since you share the same kind of hobbies and are always together tell him that you are really admiring him or you are proud of him in his decision for trying to quit drinking alcohol already. It is just okay that you will always remind him about his quitting when you see that he is drinking again even 1 to 2 drinks to the point that you are not nagging him. Don't worry and just keep your faith and trust in him that he can make it to totally quit drinking alcohol with your encouragement and support as his true and caring friend.
  6. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

I suggest that he should enter into an organization like this: https://www.hellosundaymorning.org/. In that way, he will focus more on other things and will less the hobby of drinking too much and I believe there's a lot of activities that your friend will be joining and have the reason to be busy and to ignore more on the alcohol. And yeah, your friend must be willing to give up and change his habit of drinking and think of better ways to prevent and to escape such addiction.