An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Tips for staying sober

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Lizel, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Here are the stages of recovery:

1. Withdrawal: This stage lasts one to two weeks and includes physical symptoms that vary with your addiction of choice. It can be very uncomforable and you are likely to need medical supervision.
    2. Early Abstinence: This is the one-month period following withdrawal, commonly called the “honeymoon" or "pink cloud." You may feel very successful during this period and may want to drop out of treatment.
    3. Protracted Abstinence: This period lasts from six weeks to five months after you stops using. Generally, the honeymoon is over: Chemical changes in the brain often cause depression, irritability and low energy. Exercise is a big help.
    4. Readjustment: You've been sober for five months to a year. You feel fewer cravings but may be more susceptible to relapse. Stay on your routine and avoid triggers.
    More at this article:
    http://www.reneweveryday.com/techniques-for-staying-sober/
    rabst likes this.
  2. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

So what do you think of these steps, Lizel? Are they 'steps to take' or 'observed conditions-or-a-recoverer's-psyche'?

At a bar, a fellow partier told me that at AA they told him that "There's no such thing as a 'former alcoholic'!"---that--although you've been off the sauce for ages--the alcoholic-nature is always there beneath the conscious sobriety. That's why lots of 'former alcoholics' DON'T go to bars :D (don't ask me what the guy was doing there ... he was with family, and they were 'keepin` him sober.')

I've never had an alcoholic problem (and so have not been to AA), just like I've never been to prison although I go to a church that is mostly a prison-ministry. Hangin` with 'folks who've had the problems' keeps me from going through the problems myself, I guess.
  3. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I agree with what AA told that guy you saw at the bar. Alcoholism pretty much becomes apart of you and even if you have been sober for a number of years there is simply no ways you can have a glass and not fall off the wagon. At least I haven't known any recovering addicts who have been able to.
    rabst likes this.
  4. BobPopporro

BobPopporro Active Contributor

thanks for reminding me of this steps :)
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Stage 4 probably is the toughest. You can readjust all you like but there's always that possibility that something could make you fall. Trying not to overestimate your power over the drug you overcame might be a great way to stay sober. That means you must at all times avoid being around the drug. Being sober for a year or two doesn't mean you can resist the urge to taste, have just a sip, etc. That would mark the beginning of the your descent back into drug abuse.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    rabst likes this.