An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Tips for withdrawal symptoms?

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by AnneWithAnE, Aug 11, 2019.

1. AnneWithAnE

AnneWithAnE Member

Hello, all. I'm new here, so will try to be brief.
    I have multiple autoimmune and connective tissue disorders that cause alot of chronic pain, which about a year and a half ago, had me on an ER pain medication twice daily and 10mg oxycodone 4 times daily if needed.
    I'm entirely off my ER meds for several months now (yay for that, I suppose), but, as hopefully trying to conceive soon (AKA trying to get off what I can first) have brought myself from approximately 3 of my oxy a day down to one now.

I already have bipolar, anxiety, PTSD - which medicines I've also finally stopped - and between the emotional and physical symptoms I'm having, this is absolute torture.

Insomnia from pain, restlessness isn't helping any of that.
    I've tried the following: hot Epsom salt baths, melatonin and my muscle relaxer at night, Tylenol (allergic to other NSAIDS), lidocaine topical creams, and other things I can't even recall ATM.

Any further suggestions? :/
  2. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

Hi Anne with an e. I am sad to hear about all your having to go through.
    This has got to be rough. But hats off to you for bringing yourself so low on the pain meds. That alone would have been hard for me. Very hard.
    By trying to conceive as in do you mean having a baby? I just wonder about all that stuff that's going to happen when you conceive and if it will increase your pain... I'm not trying to be discouraging I'm just wondering were you talking about having a baby?
    deanokat, Onceaddicted77 and Dominica like this.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@AnneWithAnE

Hello Anne. Thank you for reaching out. I'm very sorry that you have to contend with all of that. I think it's great that you're weaning off of the meds. I'm sure that can be challenging at times.

I'm not sure beyond what you're doing regarding withdrawal symptoms. Perhaps doing your best at getting your body plenty of nutrients and filtered water. Are you able to work with a nutritionist at all? I know there are some that work with patients that have autoimmune disorders and are seeing some success.

We will definitely be here to offer you support along your journey. Again thank you for coming here and sharing.
    deanokat and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  4. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Community Champion

I heard they are starting to link some autoimmune disorders with leaky gut as well. My best friends wife has Sjogrens and RA normally people have multiple autoimmune disorders. The right Nutrition definitely helps.
    Stay away from Gluten as well.

@AnneWithAnE The withdrawl sucks I've been there myself all we can do is try to taper slow enough so you dont get too sick. I would suggest looking up supplements that could help with withdrawl.

You probably want to stay away from any that raise up your immune system. I would start with some supplements that help with anxiety and stress that's what is keeping you from sleeping. Good luck sending healing energy.
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Welcome to the community, @AnneWithAnE. Like the others, I'm sorry for what you're having to go through. And I'm proud of you for stopping all the meds you've stopped, and for getting down to just one oxy a day. That's terrific progress. I'm wondering... Have you tried meditation at all? Or deep-breathing exercises? Just a thought. I know both of those things help a lot of people (myself included).
  6. AnneWithAnE

AnneWithAnE Member

[Autoimmune info on me]
    I have a history of a TIA, fibromyalgia, Ehlers-Danlos, Adult Onset Still's Disease, MCTD,e - mainly. I've had both shoulders and knee reconstructed, part of a clavicle removed, an ovary removed due to scarring and cysts - etc.

This time last year, I was on oxycodone 15mg four times daily as needed and morphine ER 15 twice daily. Now, completely off morphine (did step down) and actually got so frickin' frustrated that I cut myself from four 10mg a day to one then down to none. Not ideal at all, I know.

I also know that more pain for me = higher inflammation with my AI disorders. But, wanting to try for a baby, I really don't want to be on anything or as little as possible.

Just feel I'm crawling out of my skin, legs restless and cramping, tummy trouble. About 2.5 days entirely cold turkey right now.
  7. Onceaddicted77

Im sorry to hear your going through ruff withdrawls. :( There are supplements that can help if you want to research some I would look for some that reduce glutamate and increase GABA like natural Gaba supplements. That's why your anxiety and stress response is so high.

Opiates increase our GABA and you are rebounding with a decrease in it.

More GABA equals relaxation.

https://thesleepdoctor.com/2018/06/19/understanding-gaba/
    True concern likes this.
  8. Onceaddicted77

Benzos like xanax and valium are GABA enhancers they work for opiate withdrawl but are very addictive. I dont recommend those. But medicines like Gabapentin are GABA analogs it increases are concentration of GABA.

GABA supplements give us the natural form of it called Gamma aminobutyric acid
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  9. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Gaba enhancers you say?This has got to be why Gabapentin puts me to sleep because my head Dr has me on Klonopin which is a benzo
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  10. Onceaddicted77

That's exactly what I was thinking @True concern klonopin is enhancing your receptors and gabapentin is increasing your Gaba so it is synergistic with each other or it is potentiating it.
    True concern likes this.
  11. Onceaddicted77

I find that Gabapentin works best taking it at night. Raises your gaba the next day and helps with Dopamine and serotonin. It has a 12 hour half life and within normally 24 hours you can feel a stress response from not having it.

I've started to skip my morning dose and only take it night because it allows it to balance out and not make me to drowsy. Too much Gaba means night night.

Not enough Gaba mean restlessness
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 9:42 AM
    True concern likes this.
  12. Onceaddicted77

@True concern I'm really reading into to being able to master my own chemicals there are supplements that can do anything a Dr can give you a script for and more. Drs will say Supplements just means they are unregulated drugs which it true to certain point. But I believe they just want to control everything so we have to pay them for treatments.
    True concern likes this.
  13. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I understand the notion,the want but be careful,I'm not suggesting you are not smart enough to figure it out because you have all kinds of smarts I'm simply saying becareful.

P.S.Thanks for the Gaba info maybe now I can figure out how to make it work for me in a way that doesn't mean bedtime with every Gabapentin (But I only take it at night) because no matter what I'm going to bed after.... Honestly the best sleep I've ever had in my entire life
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  14. Onceaddicted77

No your right brother. I do need to hear that. sometimes we become too smart for our own good and think we can control everything.

I definitely need to watch anything that raises my dopamine as it can effect my decisions without even knowing it.

Thank you brother.
    True concern likes this.
  15. Onceaddicted77

There is a story about people with low Dopamine like Parkinson's going and getting medications to fix it but then they become compulsive gamblers. Crazy huh
    True concern likes this.
  16. Joshstillclean

Hey bro. Be careful with that klonopin. Before I really got a hold of my EXTREME benzo addiction I was taking a crap load of Xanax and ativan and valium, among others...
    Well what happened to me with klonopin is I got put on it because it was one of the few I was not currently or had abused.
    Now..I'm not sure how it treats you, but when I was put on it to take place of the others I couldn't feel/get relief for anything! I'm mean nothing!
    I went back to the er after eating a script of 30 1 mg tablets in a day and by that night I was in such severe withdrawals I was hallucinating. This sounds crazy but I'm not exaggerating...
    Well for some reason I was immune to klonopin, just was. But the Drs didn't believe me. So I was (my mother was) given a script for more klonopin and told to make me take it right. (6 mgs a day).
    Ok this didn't work, after being in severe withdrawals and having seizures for two days another er trip.
    So then docs believed my insane tolerance and loaded me with phenol barb and valium. Max of each and then some. Actually had to write a family member another script because the doctor couldn't write that much for me.
    Anyway, all that happened was after taking this klonopin for only three days I ended up kinda addicted to it too.
    Man I'm not joking I'm so freaking scared of benzos. Oh man, oh its so bad.
    All this to say please be careful.
    True concern and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  17. Onceaddicted77

That reminds me back in the day I used to sell valium would get a 90 lot for 90 bucks Mexican blue valiums 10mg I got up to like 35 a day it was nuts. Cant remember **** from those days lol

I loved the damn taste of them lol
    True concern and Joshstillclean like this.
  18. Joshstillclean

Wow. You are a strong woman. I had a prescription for oxy and when I started feeling addicted I was not like you. Your smart. Your strong.
    I just kept increasing my dose until I was a total junkie. I was having to inject heroin or snort fentynal just to keep from being sick by the time I decided I wanted help.
    I tell you this so that maybe just knowing you are grabbing this by the horns and taking control(with awsome self control I might add) you are encouraged that you are already avoiding the worst of it.
    I am so so so sorry that you feel this way. You can go back and read my past posts when I was detoxing. You'll know without dought I'm being sincere.
    I can't empathize with those disorders but I do have my own issues like epilepsy and a couple other things. I know having to live with anything on a daily basis is really really hard.
    As far as a timeline for your symptoms going away, your physical stuff should be gone completely after not too many more days. Your in some of the hardest days at this moment. It really gets a lot better very soon.
    If you stuck with cold turkey by this time next week you'll be anxious some, but you'll be able to look back and be glad you did this.
    I hope this is encouraging. I meant it that way anyway.
    So hang in there and your going to make a great mom by going through all this for a baby that you are planning. Most people find they are pregnant and then freak and some quit, sadly some don't.
    But you have a good heart thinking about the health of your child already.
    I will pray for you and if you want to talk more or get into specifics I'm here. I promise you there's no feeling that is coming from withdrawal that I won't understand. God bless.
  19. Joshstillclean

You know a whole lot of folks would not believe this. I totally do 35 mgs a day yep sounds about right. Bet You were blacked out completely and still going to work and driving around.
    How long did it take you to taper?
    What symptoms?
    Very curious about this because i was told by several doctors my addiction was too severe to overcome. One doctor turned me down and actually told my dad I had x amount of months left to live and not to let me drive if because I might kill someone and die in jail.
    Freaking nuts! Doctors don't get how much of a tolerance for this stuff some people can get. They think because most people get calm on .5 mgs that no one can function on ten. Stupid really
  20. Onceaddicted77

Man to be honest its hard to remember exactly how I stopped taking them. I know why, My dad fired me lol. I was like 22 at the time. My tolerance got up there quick though like within a month. I'm pretty sure I just masked any withdrawl with alcohol I was a big time drinker back then too.

My life consisted of go to work so I can party and pick up girls back then heh
    True concern and Joshstillclean like this.