An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Tips on how to help your loved one to quit "smoking Cigarette"

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by peter021, Jun 8, 2015.

1. peter021

peter021 Member

Pestering and condemning are not successful inspirations, particularly regarding the matter of stopping smoking. Discover how you can be a positive impact in your adored one's endeavors to quit smoking.

Stopping smoking can be unimaginably difficult — regardless of the fact that you're not the one doing it. In the event that you need to help a relative or companion quit smoking, realize that there are approaches to be useful, and in addition ways that are counterproductive.

Try not to raise past times when they've attempted and fizzled; its much more supportive to be certain than negative. What's more, ideally, this is the time the individual stopping will succeed.

Try not to tell your loved one that you know how they feel — unless you're an ex-smoker and you truly do recognize what its similar to take a stab at beating a nicotine habit. They may take that as belittling and be offended instead of helped.

Rather, this is what you can do to help a friend or family member quit smoking:

• Offer to be there. Express your backing. You can inquire as to whether your adored one on the off chance that they need you to make remarks about their smoking or withdrawal side effects, or in the event that they favor that you simply tune in. When they let you know, make sure to do what they ask, not what you need to do.
    • Go for strolls together. After supper, when others in the family unit may be enticed to light up, recommend you and your cherished one go for a stroll around the square. The activity will do both of you great.
    • Plan to commend triumphs together. Set an objective — like being smoke-free for a month or two — and when your unique somebody achieves that objective, choose what you will do to check the accomplishment. Consider something significant that perceives how extraordinary an achievement this is and go do it together.
    • Try not to drink coffee or alcohol when you're as one. Drinking coffee or alcohol mixed drinks can frequently trigger the inclination to smoke. It's harder on the individual attempting to stop if everybody around him is drinking.
    • Make a smoke-free environment. Evacuate all the ashtrays and cigarettes from your home. By making a sans smoke environment.
    • Be empowering. Never say: "Ceasing smoking is too hard, you won't have the capacity to do it." Although nicotine is addicting, anybody can defeat the nicotine dependence with the right offer assistance. Tell the individual you cherish you realize that they can do it — simply like they figured out how to ride a bicycle when they were little or got "An" in an extreme class subsequent to putting their psyche to it.
    • Remind them to take their drug. Studies have found that meds and nicotine substitution treatments are successful apparatuses when stopping smoking. Once more, you would prefer not to bother, yet you can tenderly remind your adored one to take their medicine.
    thanks for reading mates :)
    MyDigitalpoint likes this.
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

This is so true! Besides pestering someone may only carry the opposed result, based on how stubborn is the smoker.

Happened to my cousin, who left my late uncle's words fell on deaf ears for the sole reason that she hated to be pestered with the way she was smoking.

When he passed away, she regret and decided to quit smoking, not fully accomplished but today she only smokes one or two cigarettes a day, rather than one or two packets she used to smoke in the past.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  3. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

Something similar happened with me. I was being asked constantly to stop drinking, it grew annoying and I sometimes drank just out of spite. I didn't realise how much they were trying to help until I was alone...

I'm glad to hear that your cousin has reduced her smoking by so much. I hope she's eventually able to quit completely.
  4. mercshe

mercshe Member

Your tips are very much helpful. My two brothers do like to stop smoking but they find it very hard to do, they say. Maybe a little more motivation and inspiration. My father already did. Before he was a chain smoker until he had watched an evangelical TV show, as if it touched his heart, the next day he stopped smoking totally. However, I think that doesn't apply to all. Motivation to stop really comes from within. Thank you so much for this article.
  5. sophiasong

sophiasong Member

If you're trying to quite smoking or trying to help someone quite smoking, take them to a sauna 3 days in a row, you will sweat out the nicotine and it will be easier to quite.

Make them drink detoxifying juices. Here's a recipe for a good detoxifying drink:

2 Cucumbers
    Half of a Ginger
    Lemon juice
    Half a glass of water

Cut the cucumbers and ginger into small pieces and pour them into a blender along with half a glass of water and squeeze a lemon in it as well and let it blend for a few seconds. And it's ready to serve.
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Great, he is a HUGE coffee drinker! He drinks a lot coffee during the day, even before going to bed. But I do like the idea of going for walks together, I'm thinking of motivating my fiance to exercise, everyone needs exercise after all. Plus I think exercise can help to quit smoking, because reduces the anxiety, gives you something to do for a while and helps you detox a bit. As a plus it might serve as a motivation to stop smoking, specially if you keep seeing improvements in your health in general.
  7. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is true that you need to show them love. Be close to them so that they may realise how much you care. Suggest to them latest articles that highlights the effects of smoking. You may also download to them podcasts that may help him avoid the habit.