An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Tips to discourage drinking

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by remnant, May 12, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Oftentimes, drinking appears to be an exciting pastime for people with excess time on their hands. Before going to drink, its important to eat oranges and bananas or orange juice. Drinking a large quantity of water also helps. Anyone with more tips?
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

A few tips that I can recommend are:
    • Avoid triggers, especially during the first few weeks of your recovery. Avoid the people or the places where you used to do drugs or drink alcohol.
    • Keep yourself busy. You can try taking up a new hobby like sports or painting. Working out is also a great way to release some stress and keep yourself busy. How about a part-time job? There are also lots of online money making opportunities that you can try out.
    • Live a healthy lifestyle. Eat nutritious food and exercise. Avoid processed foods and fast foods. This way, you're changing your lifestyle in a way that even drugs and alcohol don't fit in it.
    • Consider support groups. They can help you and guide you during the toughest times. And in times of urges or relapses, they can be great help as well.
    • Spend more time with your family. I think being with your family is a great way to discourage drinking. You get to bond with them and use them as inspiration.
    • Make fruit juices or smoothies. They can satisfy your thirst, they're healthy and incredibly delicious.
    I hope this helps!
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think the biggest thing for me in discouraging drinking was simply to not put myself in situations where I knew alcohol would be present, at the start of my recovery. Some people may look at that as avoidance, but I think for me that was necessary in the initial stages!

Working out was huge for me too. It made me feel good - and it kept me busy, too. I think it's good for your mind and your physical self. Lots of positives to getting moving and exercising!