An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

'Tis The Season to be Jolly

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Juanpeace, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Juanpeace

Juanpeace Active Contributor

A few days left and we reach one of the most festive day of the year Christmas Day, a day celebrated by most people around the world. The day where families gather for a reunion, some the first after many years, marriage vows are often celebrated near Christmas time to add luster to a new Christmas as a couple. these celebrations or parties always accompanied by the "poison" of choice-ALCOHOl. be it wine, beer, liquor or cocktails these drinks are usually overflowing during gatherings like parties. I can imagine how tough it is for someone recovering from substance abuse if ever they attend some of these parties. The will to stay sober and the temptation is too much to handle. What if the people in the party don't even know your situation? will you give in for a shot of Tequila? After all 'Tis the season to be merry.
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, this time of the year could be really challenging for a lot of recovering addicts out there. I think the best thing for them to do is as much as possible avoid social situations that would just temp them to do substance abuse again. If it's really inevitable, then they must practice self-discipline, and should know their limitations.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Thankfully after about 7 years now, I've learned strategies to deal with the festive season. Doing things like volunteering as the designated driver have people thanking you and not really asking questions about why you're not drinking. In saying that though, situations where my family and close friends are don't pose too many challenges since they are all aware of my past.
  4. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Ah, the good old slippery slope, tricky holiday season. A lot of us should be on higher alert, but for me it's time to be jolly not in a drunken matter, but to just spend quality time with my close ones without feeling the need to alter my mind in order to feel good, it's never a good idea.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Shockingly enough my family does not really drink during the holiday festivities, but I can see how it would be very hard for many people out there. This is the time of year where you have to have a lot of willpower and strength. Stay strong everyone and talk about how you are feeling on this forum if you need to reach out.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

The holiday is so much more enjoyable when alcohol is not involved. When people are drinking you are constantly walking on egg shells not knowing what is going to happen next. It can be very stressful. I would prefer an alcohol free holiday any day!
  7. dkelly

dkelly Active Contributor

Around my family very few people drink alcohol and the ones that do are a disaster. For the most part they can be controlled so it isn't an overly stressful time. Most of my family are alcohol free or very little alcohol. At least the family I interact with.
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I usually do my best to avoid drinking alcohol on these occasions. Christmas is not an excuse to drink and so silly stuff, on the contrary, it is a time of cleansing and purity, as The Bible claims. If I have to take a sip, I do it, but I keep careful not to drink in excess. I don't support this type of mentality, though.
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

You don't have to give in to temptation. There should be plenty of things to do during the Holidays if you don't drink. You can spend time with your family and friends play board games, or have dinner ect. All the eggnog doesn't have to be spiked. Enjoy the holidays and don't worry about peer pressure just avoid drinking and focus on Christmas.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

15 days left until Christmas. Yeah its got to be tricky for people not drinking anymore. I think it all depends upon how you want to look at it. If you do look at it as poison, and it is, then its kind of common sense not to drink it. Its like anything else if its not good for you why would you want it? The pressure sometimes from people is kind of too much. Even if they just simply ask, "would you like a drink". Its like that anticipation before. Telling yourself in your head no, that you won't but when the question comes up you fold. Hopefully not but when self control is an issue, saying no is not so easy.
    I know if you eat enough on a daily basis you won't tend to want to binge on anything, including alcohol. Your brain and body need the proper amount of calories everyday, especially from fruit for the brain. Fructose from fruit will help you control yourself. Just a thought to try. You can actually eat as much as you want of it.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I noticed that alcohol was never present when I attend holiday gatherings, but I can only imagine how tempting it would be for the recovering alcoholic not to give in. I think in those situations it would be best to just either not attend or to discipline themselves to not touch alcohol the whole time they are there.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

This time of the year isn't that great for a lot of people for various reasons, myself included.

While it's easy to look forward to Christmas when you have friends and family around you to support you, going through it with nobody isn't ideal and can lead to a lot of suicides even, things can be that bad.
  13. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

Although in my country we do not celebrate the same date i have seen the joy of it while i was living on Malta. it is nice when you have people around you to celebrate but as someone stated going through this alone can make people do stupid things and rally with no good reason. We perceive this day to be so special and lonesome people see that joy around them so you can imagine or you may know how they feel. Personally, i don't care about Christmas Eve, New Years Eve or whatever Eve. I choose to be happy or sad during the year and not only for one day. For me it the same as any other day. We invented all this just to fill gaps some unimaginative people have. I am just fine without all of this and i resent how people change and stop carrying on these 'special' days. It is all about spending money on stupid things and going somewhere to drink, fighting about little things instead of living a normal life. We are so pathetic when the end of the year arrives it is like we were saving emotions and money just for few days. Only small amount of people realize this and smile and cry every day the same. And no, if you want to be sober you shouldn't drink. It is not a good reason. It is just another day in paradise. Do not seek for an excuse.
  14. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Alcohol does not have to be the center or the party. One does not need alcohol in order to have a good time. One way to cope with the temptation of alcohol is to have other holiday activities planned in which drinking is not the center of attention. Activities such as sledding, ice skating, playing board or card games, watching holiday movies, baking and decorating cookies, and being involved in the holiday cooking can all help keep your mind off of the temptation of alcohol. Keep yourself busy with other activities, and you will be less likely to drink!
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I used to drink heavily during this season, the holidays were the best excuse for me to drink. Now I might have another excuse to drink: it might be over between me and my fiance :( I'm so depressed and broken hearted... it's amazing how things can change for the worse in a matter of seconds.
  16. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time. I've had a habit of breakups happening around the holiday season over several years. Are you doing anything to combat your grief?
  17. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

For a recovering addict, being exposed to something which they are trying not to use could trigger a relapse so if it's possible avoiding any place where there'll be alcohol might be wise. If you are at home maybe lock yourself up in your room until the guests who drink are gone. There are times when you have to make sacrifices. You could also be honest and tell everyone that you don't drink any more and I'm sure no one will pressure you to taste alcohol.
  18. henry

henry Community Champion

As I said in another post, for me, it's extremely difficult to handle. There's just too much celebration going on. And saying, "Well, I'll just take a little sip of wine," usually doesn't work, because I always end-up drunk. What I do is focus more on the food and stuff like that. Or if I really need a drink, I go home and drink alone. For me, avoiding drinking in public is more important than just not drinking at all.
  19. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

It's really important to have a plan going into these situations if you are trying to stay sober. Remember you don't have to go to any event if you think it will be bad for you, but there are a lot of ways to help yourself stay sober at these events. If you can bring a buddy with you who will also be sober, that will be a big help. Also remember it's okay to only attend the party for a short while, come have some snacks, have a few conversations and get out before people get too crazy!
  20. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I think this would be really tough on some. You are surrounded by good food and hopefully good people. Being drunk doesn't make you jolly. Why let alcohol ruin what is suppose to be a good time? There should be plenty of alcohol free type of Christmas drinks and if there is none, make your own.