An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

To embarrassed to reach out?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Tooldforthis, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Tooldforthis

Tooldforthis Member

I know I need help with my cocaine addiction but I'm way to embarrassed to act. A couple of my family members depend on me and have no idea that I'm in so deep. Also, I would have to make arrangements for my 14 year old to be cared for if I went into rehab, I don't have anyone. And finding out about my issue would rock her to her core. Anyone have any advise?
    Knightem01 likes this.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Tooldforthis... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing with us. I'm sorry that you're struggling with cocaine addiction, but I'm glad you reached out to us. Your admitting that you need help is a courageous first step and I'm super proud of you for taking it.

Please understand that you should not feel embarrassed at all about seeking help for your addiction. Addiction is a disease, not some kind of moral failing. There are millions of people who struggle with addiction and there is no shame in admitting that you have a problem.

The fact that a couple of your family members depend on you and that you have a 14-year-old child are reasons why you SHOULD seek help. If you don't try to get help for your problem now, the problem will likely escalate and become even worse going forward. Think about how that would impact the members of your family and your child. You owe it to yourself and your family to get the help you need and deserve. Your daughter should also know about your situation because much of addiction is genetic; which means that she could have issues herself down the road. Knowing about your issues will allow her to be monitor herself as she gets older and avoid situations that could potentially cause problems for her.

You are not alone, my friend. We are here to help and support you however we can. Please know that you can reach out and lean on us anytime you need to. I know it may be difficult for you to take the steps you need to right now, but I hope that you will find the courage and strength to do so. Not only for you, but for your family, too.

I'm sending you positive, clean & sober vibes and hugs of hope and encouragement.

You can do this. I know you can.
  3. Jw23

Jw23 Member

Your addiction is nothing to be embarrassed about, you need to reach out to someone trust me! I would have never overcome my cocain addiction without getting help from a loved one, they might not understand but if they love you they will help, cocain is a viscous cycle and if you let it... it will take over your hole life, if you drink... give up drinking because the two go hand in hand, you might also need to distance yourself from some of your friends if they also use, I hope you overcome your addiction, good luck!!
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Knightem01

Knightem01 Member

I am embarrassed to tell my family. They are very over the top and I’m afraid my mother would drive 2 hours to me and take my daughter away. My boyfriend is addicted as well. So I don’t know who I can talk to. I need help and want help. I’m terrified of my parents or cps taking my daughter away. If I loose her I’m afraid I’d hurt myself. I feel so fucked right now and stuck. I want to hear from other mothers who struggled with cocaine
  5. Jw23

Jw23 Member

Hi and thank you for sharing! Addiction is a terrible thing but do not feel embarrassed about it, it has the power to take hold of anyone, you firstly need to speak to your partner and make sure you are both on the same page I assume he wants to get sober too? If not then you need to reevaluate your relationship, being around users is a trigger and I personally broke time and time again being around people that was getting high, you need someone to talk too some one that can really be a shoulder to lean on wether that’s a friend or someone from a addiction help group! Your not alone if your struggling just let us know and we can do our best to help’
    Dominica and Knightem01 like this.
  6. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Knightem01 that's some good advice. yes, find someone safe to talk to, and start making steps now to get on the recovery path.........