An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

To smoke or not to smoke (during pregnancy)?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by DK01, Feb 16, 2015.

1. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

It's actually been shown to be safe during pregnancy. I saw a study where they followed the mothers while pregnant and then followed the kids once they were born all the way up to 12 years old and found no problems in the kids of even heavy smokers compared to the kids of non-smokers. The heavy smokers group was smoking over a half ounce a day, too! That's a lot!

Considering how horrible morning sickness is and all the bad side effects of the medicines they prescribe to deal with it, I would totally choose marijuana over pharmaceuticals while pregnant.
  2. bombshell

bombshell Member

I have a pinched sciatic nerve that has bothered me for years. I smoke marijuana to help me with the pain. Needless to say, when I got pregnant it was unbearable. On top of the pain I had constant "morning sickness" I quote "morning" because I was sick all day. I couldn't hold down food and was running to the bathroom to vomit over every smell outside of my comfort. My doctor knew I was a smoker and suggested it might help. I was worried about carcinogens associated with smoking, so experimented a little with the way I used it. I found that making marijuana tea with honey and lemon worked the best for me. I was able to work and eat and carry my baby to full term in a happy painless pregnancy.
  3. Jessica V.

Jessica V. Member

I have heard that a doctor told a pregnant patient to smoke weed during pregnancy to deal with sickness. In my personal opinion, i think in moderation it will not cause any defects or damages to the baby. I feel cigarettes are way worse for you and your baby!
  4. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I think smoking of any form is bad for your health and especially during pregnancy one must avoid smoking. I don't think I would attribute the children's intellectual development with the marijuana that the mother smoked during her pregnancy. It has been shown that smoking during pregnancy can have negative effects on the physical and mental development of children and so I say avoid the risk.
  5. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

Definitely not smoking.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I assume she was smoking bowls or using edibles, rather than rolling joints with tobacco in them? If it's safe for the baby and really works then I say go for it! Marijuana is one of mature's cure-alls and at the end of the day, it's just a plant.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Any kind of smoke that you inhale, damages your body. If you decide to take marijuana during pregnancy, you should bear in mind that your baby gets affected by everything that you put into your body. If you can't stay away from marijuana, it would probably be kinder and more responsible to take it in tea form or incorporate it in cookies. And, obviously only in small doses.
    As for marijuana affecting a child's general development, I'd say that it depends on many different factors that need to be taken into consideration.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Perhaps genes - not necessarily smoking marijuana - were responsible for her children's advanced cognitive development. I don't know why marijuana would automatically get the credit for the remarkable results. Besides, this is just one case cited. You may well look into the number of mothers who smoke marijuana and track how the act has affected their offspring. There are lots of possibilities and marijuana may not necessarily be the reason.
  9. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

No I would not condone smoking while pregnant. That could cause serious health problems for the baby. In this case, the woman from the story you read is blessed to have a healthy, smart child. This still does not set a good example for other expectant mothers to smoke. Just because that woman was lucky, does not mean that other mothers will be. They could go by this example and smoke while pregnant, and their baby may be born with serious problems. No mother should ever smoke while pregnant in my opinion.
  10. vikkiwinters

vikkiwinters Member

• Human body knows exactly how to make baby.
    • Human interferes with baby construction by throwing in drugs, bad human!
    • Body makes high-quality baby anyway, not because weed is secret baby brain food, but because the body managed to cope well despite the chemical interference

The human body is awesome at dealing with curve balls, but don't push it; when it comes to a baby's health you should really suck it up and do everything you can to avoid drugs
  11. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

Marijuana has been proven to change the structural shape of a teens brain from the use of the substance. You can easily find articles on this. If it makes these changes during teen years, I can only imagine what it could potentially change during pregnancy. I am all for marijuana, but I do not believe it is as healthy to physically smoke the stuff as many people suggest. Way too many marijuana smokers have that "chronic cough" for me to believe it is not harming your lungs. I would prefer if pregnant women would abstain from smoking marijuana during pregnancy.
  12. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

To be safe, it's just best not to smoke anything at all when you're pregnant. It's not safe when you don't know the risk of it.
  13. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

I don't see how smoking marijuana could be useful and beneficial to the development of the child. It's not certain if it would have any bad effects but I see no reason to risk it. This example you've given doesn't mean a lot. We have a kid who proved to be exceptional after his mother smoked during pregnancy. So for all we know, we have 2 events happening at the same time. There is no scientific evidence that one caused the other. Just a coincidence...
  14. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

No, don't smoke. If you are not doing it for yourself, at least do it for the human being that is growing inside of your body. You don't even want to risk anything bad with that child, do you?
  15. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Exactly. I have not even looked up anything about this matter, but I know that smoking while pregnant, regardless of what it is, cannot be good for the mother or the child.
  16. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I'm with most of the other people on this thread who say no. Marijuana is known and proven to dull cognitive abilities. Also, this is one story that does not seem too reliable. It isn't professional research performed by educated individuals in the field.
  17. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I agreed with all of the posters here. Even if the story is true, it is an exception to the rule. It does not mean smoking marijuana doesn't have negative effects at all. Sure, if we are talking about relative to other drugs, "marijuana" is safer. By the way, this story reminds me of one of my cousins who always do well in school in terms of math skills and right now is the best student in his high school. My dad said that his mother was drinking soft drinks such as Coke and Dr. Pepper during breastfeeding so I assume that she also did the same thing during pregnancy. However, that doesn't mean drinking soft drinks during pregnancy is okay.
  18. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

I honestly think that people should not smoke anything or drink alcohol during pregnancy. This is a human being that inside you, not a toy. A baby is to love and protect, not ruin.
  19. Rholm

Rholm Member

While it may not potentially be harmful, it is always best to abstain from all even slightly potentially harmful substances during pregnancy. As you are caring for the life of another human being, it is to be taken up as a selfless act and be treated with the utmost care. What you do with your body otherwise would be entirely your choice, but you should always attempt to be careful in the case of other human lives, especially when it comes to something as sensitive as an infant.
  20. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

There does not need to be a correlation between the two. Smart and smoker. She rolled the dice and smoked while pregnant, perhaps nothing came of it and a smart kid was born just as it would have been any other way. Perhaps the child slept more as an infant and allowed for further brain development, perhaps it's just naturally gifted. I don't know if there is any real evidence that could link the two coincidences together.