An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

To smoke or not to smoke (during pregnancy)?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by DK01, Feb 16, 2015.

1. bavinnie

bavinnie Member

This is how I look at it, even if you believe based on hard evidence that smoking isn't (that) bad for you it still isn't fair to your child that you would make the decision of putting something like that in their body, even if the kid is doing exceptionally well in cognitive functions and schooling it doesn't necessarily mean that there was no risk taken, and that the act in of itself wasn't selfish in nature and isn't being a good parent the opposite of being selfish?
  2. pinksavage22

pinksavage22 Member

I personally do not think a person should partake in anything that could possibly harm the child, I know there are people have smoked during pregnancy, but why take the chance. I would personally not take any risks, just like certain foods that are supposed to be off limits, I would not partake in any of it just to be on the safe side.
  3. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Smoking is the least of stuff you shouldn't be doing. Feed your body right, get the right sleep, and cater to the needs of the child. But that is just my personal opinion. It's not bad to smoke a bowl every now and again to relieve stress, but if you're doing that at the cost of potentially harming the child why even risk it? The child will have those problems all their known life. It's smarter to just drop it and pick it up after birth if that's truly important to you. But I suggest finding a healthier alternative.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Unfortunately, no matter how much people will disagree with people smoking, weed or normal cigarettes and also drinking alcohol during pregnancy, at the end of the day, it's down to that individual if they choose to do it or not.
  5. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

No. You shouldn't smoke. I don't believe it has positive effects on your baby. If you think marijuana is 100% safe, you're wrong, it does impact your health.
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I understand that people generally agree on the fact marijuana is probably the least dangerous drug of all that currently exist, but we shouldn't exaggerate and think it's just like vaping menthol tea, haha. My answer would be no, solely because there are side effects to it which could affect not only you, but the kid within you, too. We should try to avoid risks at all cost, no matter how "lesser" they might seem to us.
  7. Just Another Shallow Man

Just Another Shallow Man Active Contributor

Smoking pot while pregnant is absolutely not OK! In fact, one shouldn't consume any drugs or alcohol of any kind while pregnant! It puts the pregnancy at risk and sometimes even puts the mother at risk if there's a complication during the birth. Even a lot of medicine is advised to not be given to pregnant women. Weed is not an exception.
  8. thomas carty

thomas carty Member

Like most people would have said and this is something that I really agree with them on is that when you are pregnant I really think that you should stay away from anything that you think will be harmful to your baby. Smoking is definitely one of those things that I think will affect the health of your baby and I think that you should try to stay as far as you can away from it.
  9. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

As a relatively new mother, I can't imagine how some people do drugs/drink throughout their pregnancy. Such a big part of parenting is about having to make sacrifices for your child -- and being clean should be the first of them. Despite the fact that the two children in question are said to be advanced, I certainly wouldn't be taking the risk. If anything I would be asking myself just HOW much more advanced they could have been if the use of marijuana didn't take place!
  10. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Obviously you should stay away from weed or any drugs in general if you are pregnant. Just inhaling these drugs and such would cause much harm to your newborn that you wouldn't even realize it. My suggestion, stay away from drugs or you will have to pay the consequences during pregnancy.
  11. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I don't think it is a good idea to smoke during pregnacy, let alone marijuana. But I am no doctor, so I can't answear for sure.
  12. karebear07

karebear07 Active Contributor

I would not even attempt! I have heard many stories about children whose parents smoked marijuana during the pregnancy and their child had ADHD, like one user mentioned. Using any types of drugs through your pregnancy is not safe and unfair to your child! You really do not want to experiment with your unborn child's healthy or future!
  13. lulu

lulu Active Contributor

I have so many people say it will not affect my baby...but yes I believe it will! Its just like smoking a cigarette and inhaling that is going straight to your growing, developing in the most important way helpless baby. I hate seeing people do this to the unborn child
  14. Devonne

Devonne Member

I have read a lot about this, especially when I did marijuana and was trying to conceive another child. Most studies said it was bad, like I assumed, but one study went on to look deeper. That particular study focused on cigarette and marijuana use during pregnancy and the effects it had on their babies. In the end it talked about how their was no link between low birth weight and medical diseases due to the expectant mothers smoking. In my personal opinion I don't feel like any substance use is good for a baby within you. Studies are so different on this that there is no real data either way. I would rather play it safe than sorry to make sure that I know I did everything possible to make sure I had a healthy baby. I feel like we are responsible in giving them the best start possible and if we wouldn't allow an infant to smoke then why allow a baby inside you to do it.
  15. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I have seen that people who smoke have babies that are much smaller and look frail. I do believe that research shows that smoking can do damage during pregnancy.
  16. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

But what type of smoking? I know tobacco impacts more heavily then say marijuana or such. @oraclemay

I just believe if you want what is best for your child (and any parent should really) is to not do ANYTHING during it. It might seem like hell if you're a day-to-day user stopping for nearly 3/4 of a year, but think - that 3/4 a year could mean a very healthy life of 80+ years with no defects/deformities/risks if you just go healthy during the pregnancy. Nobody is saying you can't/shouldn't go back to it afterwards (okay, maybe I am - don't do it! :rolleyes:) but just steer cleer of it.