An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

To what extent did you rely on your substance?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Cheeky_Chick, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

When I was addicted, I couldn't even get up in the morning without a hit. I was really low indeed. Now, however, I am much better than I was, and looking back on my own past I can hardly believe that I was even the same person at all. I was, though, and I am proud of all of the hard work that I have put in to get myself better again!

How reliant were you on what you were taking?
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Pretty reliant, honestly. I used to think about it everyday and crave it whenever I wasn't near it. I have to admit I was in a pretty rough spot and it was my only outlet at that time.
    Gladly, I've grown out of it.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I couldn't sleep or rest until I'd had it so in that way I'd say I was dependant on it. A lot of addicts will tell themselves that they can cope without a certain substance but when it comes down to it and they try and do without, that's when they realise just how dependant they really are.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I would say I was reliant on it mostly in social contexts. That was when I felt the need to drink the most. I didn't really feel confident in social settings without a drink in my hand and it was hard to get out of that mindset. Away from social settings I would still drink, of course, but it wasn't with that nerve-wracked anxiety like it would be if I was in a large group situation.
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I was another social drinker, mostly at parties. Never cared about it in any other context, even at bars, but at a wild party I would become overwhelmed by all the people there and suddenly, I’d feel the need to drink lots just so I could let loose. Really quite awful in hindsight.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Wow, congratulations @Cheeky_Chick for successfully overcoming your past addictions. And yes, you should be really proud of yourself for a job well done. ;) As for me, I was not really an addict. I knew there should be a balance in everything I do.