An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

To what extent is alcohol pricing a problem?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Cheeky_Chick, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

In supermarkets these days, you often see alcohol on special offer, which means that it hardly costs you anything to be able to buy enough to get drunk from. This means that young people can easily get into bad habits without worrying about they're going to be able to afford it, and this could cause even greater bad habits in the future.

Do you think that, if alcohol were more expensive and less accessible, fewer people would drink, and therefore fewer would develop problems?

It would be great to see what you think about this!
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

When people want to get high, they will find a way to get it or turn to cheaper alternatives like moonshine. Increasing the price for alcohol will not solve anything. Addicts will get their jollies some how, one way or another.
  3. henry

henry Community Champion

Yep, I agree with Josh. People will find a way to get it no matter the price. It would be as easy as getting a group of friends to chip in and buy it. A good way to keep teens away from alcohol, is to stop advertising it so much. Movies like The Hangover don't help much in keeping teens away from alcohol and drugs. It advertises those things as something cool and fun.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I don't think the price and availability would deter people from drinking. If a person really wants something they will find it regardless of the cost and where they have to go to get it. It it is a price thing then they will just do without something else to get the booze, whether it is not paying their bills or not buying food. Where there is a will there is always a way and people will find it!
  5. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I would not be able to agree with you. Because you have those celebrity kids and other kids from well to do families that have an allowance and can easily not worry about going broke. I think if there was a lot more adults being more sociably responsible with alcohol then there would be fewer children and teenagers getting into alcohol. When adults are not sociably responsible then there is a problem and a bad message that kids receive from this and they start young.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

If somebody wants a drink, they will find a way to get one. While the price is making it easier now, with it being so cheap, I don't think this is turning more people into alcoholics than before.

Supermarkets have a responsibility to ensure people aren't drinking irresponsibly, at the end of the day they are trying to make a profit, and if that means offering deals for their customers, I don't think they can be blamed for doing that.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I'm certain that if the legal stuff got to be expensive cheap liquor would hit the black market. It would be relatively easy to smuggle in alcohol from wherever it is cheap and it would be sold on the streets to alcoholics at relatively cheaper prices. As the competition stiffens we'll start having they'll start selling tainted alcohol as they do in some parts of the world. That would make the problem worse. The toxins in tainted alcohol [could kill] and if many alcoholics die [leaving behind young children] this would cause some serious social problems . . .
  8. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

Well if you are already an alcoholic I am sure the extra money wouldn't stop you from buying it. However as a child I remember that money was hard to come buy, and a higher price would definitely turn me off to the idea of buying a 6 pack and getting a bit drunk.
  9. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

Increasing the price for alcohol may cause less people to use it, but it will not cure them of an addiction. If alcohol goes up in price, then people will look to a cheaper alternative to feed their addiction. For example, maybe one day alcohol becomes more expensive than marijuana. As a result, many more people use marijuana and then it becomes an even bigger problem than it is now. It really is hard to control the amount of alcohol going around.
  10. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Market forces dictate the price of alcohol, and government intervention to artificially raise the prices wouldn't fly for anyone. It wouldn't solve the problem anyways. People are going to find a way to drink alcohol if they want it, and they can resort to stealing it if they have to. Others might even try to create their own brews at home, which is arguably more dangerous. Pricing isn't the problem.
  11. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

I definitely think low pricing makes it more tempting for some folks to drink. I dont think mandating higher prices would deter drinking though. Just look at how many beers are sold at professional sporting event. A small beer can cost as much as $10 and their are still drunks everywhere. If people want to drink they arent going to be stopped.
  12. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I think raising the price of alcohol too much would only add to increases in crime. If you price booze to the point where only the rich can afford it then you are going to find more and more people robbing liquor stores, or stealing fro others to get enough money to get their fix.

I think we need to stop seeing dollar signs when we think of addicts and focus on more of the social conditions and psychological conditions which contribute to these problems. I don't believe most of these fines were ever meant to curb drug or alcohol abuse, they were just seen as easy money to exploit those who are addicted for profits.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do think that if alcohol is much expensive they will more likely lessen their consumption or else they will need to do bad stuffs in order to get money to buy it especially for those who are jobless. Some might think several times first before buying since they will need money on other things as well.
  14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, they aren't going to ever price alcohol absurdly high since they the companies make a lot of money off of people that want to get drunk. It's a business, and they price it so low in order for people to be able to afford it and develop an addiction. It's worth it for them in the end.
  15. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Oh of course, alcohol is just the cheapest and easiest drug they have access to. If it wasn't then it wouldn't be so wide spread, that being said an addict will get their fix no matter how much it costs, So this could help deter the start of addictions if prices were increased.
  16. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I don't think it's the pricing of alcoholic drinks in general that is the problem, I think it's the range and types of drinks available. For example, drinks such as spirits like whiskey and vodka are fairly high priced. The cheaper drinks, however, such as white cider cost virtually nothing in comparison which makes them more appealing to people with drinking problems and yet most of those types of drinks contain sulphides which are potentially very damaging to the health.
  17. elbowstain

elbowstain Member

Alcohol where I live is not too bad, to directly convert it to US dollars, a case of beer is around $16, bottle of "alright" vodka is like $13. Rum is around $12. These prices are for the booze most people buy. So even young people can afford to drink.. Hell, when I was barely legal I was able to buy a bottle of vodka every weekend for parties.

If alcohol was more expensive, less people would drink. Same thing is happening with cigarettes right now where I live. No one can afford to buy smokes so they've either gone to e-cigs or stopped altogether.

But if people had a problem and relied on alcohol, they would do anything for it. Look at the hard drugs like crack, homeless people somehow scrape money together to pay for it.
    If prices were to go up I think it would hurt people that are addicted immediately, but in the long run it would turn out better in my opinion.
  18. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think at the supermarket counter identification should be checked and see if the person is really at the legal age if not don't sell it and make sure they are not drunk, if they are of legal age otherwise that can cause problems for the company and people as well. In New Zealand the liquor stores only sell to the age of 18 and over and check for Driver License or Passport or age card if a student or to proving your identity, and younger people are not allowed to go with someone in a liquor shop otherwise it could look like the oldest person is buying it for them. Some drinks can be cheaper and stores need to monitor who is buying the alcohol, and also make sure they are of age and be strict about it or can face heavy fines and lose the licence to sell liquor and won't get the licence back in most cases.
  19. elbowstain

elbowstain Member

Shops do ask for ID if the person looks a bit young. When I worked in a restaurant, I asked a lot of people for ID. I'd say most of the time the people you ask for ID are under age... Shops and bars need to actually clamp down on checking for ID. A lot of the time you think someone is underage is when they seem nervous. I've had friends walk into shops and buy alcohol when they were around 17 because they were confident.

Not letting kids into liquor stores is also a great point vegit012 brought up. It stops kids from getting ideas about purchasing alcohol.
  20. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Here's something else to consider: one shop near me has just had their license taken off them, not only because they were serving alcohol to customers 24 hours a day without a 24 hour license but they were also serving it to underage people. There is also one local pub who still (currently) serve to underage drinkers and there is even one local pub who still allow people to smoke inside, regardless of the smoking ban.