An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Tobacco is the real gateway drug

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by kjonesm1, Feb 3, 2015.

1. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I've been around, seen and tried quite a few drugs in my life and find that cigarettes are a common link to most drug and alcohol users. As a kid and teen I remember our d.a.r.e instructors and ads referring to marijuana as a gateway drug, but as I get older I meet more and more people who skip the pot and go straight to hard drugs. Most of these people were smoking tobacco for years though. What do you guys think?
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Personally, I think the idea of a gateway drug is a farce. People who eventually arrive at hard drugs usually already have more deep seated problems than just finding a moderate substance to start out with. There might be a correlation between tobacco and hard substances but to me it seems more natural to attribute it to the individuals with personality types that were formed to be predisposed to abuse, rather than to the existence of certain substances that could ignite such behaviors.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I think that smoking cigarettes is just the most socially accepted drug and so it is a fall back for people who drink or do other drugs. I too have noticed that most people who are active drug or alcohol users, or are in recovery most often have a cigarette in hand. I do not think it is a gateway to other things though.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I don't think tobacco is a gateway drug at all. The majority of smokers go through life without trying any illicit substances at all. @Charli I agree that the concept of gateway drugs is silly - most people try drugs simply because they are offered at a time when their resistance is low. Regarding the prevalence of smoking amongst existing drug/alcohol users., I think they just provide another way to take the edge off reality.
  5. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I'll agree with that. Whether gateway drugs exist or not, the argument has always been that users that take x drug go on to take y drug. That doesn't really make sense. I mean, most people who have done cocaine have also drank milk. Is drinking milk a fast track to substance abuse? You're either keen on drug use or you aren't. I see no reason why smoking would increase your likelihood of experimenting with other drugs down the road. You're either the type of person who's willing to sacrifice their health for a good time or you aren't.

I know tonnes of smokers that don't get high and I know tonnes of people who get high that don't smoke.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not think that tobacco or cigarette is the real gateway since I knew some smokers who do not even try to get into drugs. They just got addicted to nicotine and some are even chain smokers.
  7. anarux

anarux Member

I am a smoker and i really tried to quit when i was pregnant but i don't get that chance because i need one,sience the nicitine are not a drug i agree to see someone smoke it,i don't agree to see someone smoke a marihuana or extasy.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

My thoughts exactly, which is why we probably should look into making milk illegal now. For some reason, people are hung up on blaming inanimate objects instead of the people using or abusing them. It's as if no one wants to be treated as an adult and held accountable so instead they just pray that the government bans things for them to protect them from themselves like they are kids. Calling something a gateway drug to heroin is like saying cheeseburgers cause obesity, in which case it should be banned as well just to protect people from getting fat and dying subsequently from it.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  9. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Of coarse. Every day we, as humans, assume less and less responsibility for ourselves. It's almost counter intuitive to blame other sources than to tell people to smarten the hell up.
  10. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Yep, correlation is not causation. I completely agree with your inanimate object/nanny state "rant." ;)

People need to be accountable for their own behavior and stop looking for someone else to hold their hand. Everything in life is a choice, good or bad, and every choice has consequences, good or bad.
  11. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Agreed with the comments about how the concept of "gateway drug" is a bit ridiculous. I know tons of people who smoke tobacco and never would even want to try anything else -- and if it was a gateway drug, then it would be much more obvious. There are no gateway drugs: only our choices, based on the experience and feelings we have (many times, depression or detachment) and the situations we put ourselves into.

Anyone who says otherwise is probably trying to sell you something.
    Many times, what they are trying to sell are bans and laws in the drug scenario thing.
  12. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

You hit the nail on the head. I started with smoking, briefly flirted with Marijuana but I could come out of it easily as it was difficult to get (or was less habit forming). Then I tried taking cough syrup once and then stopped there. Otherwise I would have been completely ruined now.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

You are on to something here. Most people will look at marijuana as the gateway drug. Cigarettes has long been legal to use and it will be overlooked and the media will point the finger elsewhere.
  14. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I'd have to agree that cigarettes can act as the biggest gateway substance, although plenty of people don't need a "gateway" in order to get into substance abuse. Millions of people smoke, and everyone seems to think that's fine, even though we all know the health risks. It's socially acceptable in various situations, and that makes people feel like it's not actually that bad.
  15. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Smoking probably is the first drug that many people will be exposed to due to it nor being ilegal for one thing.
    As for it being a gateway drug i'm not convinced if i'm honest. In fact i'm not sure that ANY drug should be classed as a so called gateway drug. I think a lot of this will depend on the individual, Some people can enjoy certain drugs and know the limits and others cant. I think this can be said of all drugs including nicotine and alcohol.
  16. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

I smoked weed before cigarettes, so I do not agree with this. I know many teens started smoking weed first because it was easier to get than cigarettes. One has to have an ID and be old enough to get cigarettes, dealers don't ID or require kids to be a certain age to sell to them. I do not think that the gateway drug is a logical argument even with weed. I knew when I was introduced to/educated about different drugs in school health classes that there were certain things that I would be interested in trying, and certain things that I knew I would stay away from. This has remained constant throughout my life, and smoking weed did not make me want to try harder drugs than I already knew I would or not.
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think your right, classing any drug as a gateway drug is wrong in my opinion. People know what they want to take and what they don't.

One drug isn't going to lead to another, it's not that rigid of a system.
  18. miro1231

miro1231 Member

I think so too. Tobacco, maybe alongside alcohol because they are both widely-used drugs. What makes them a gateway drug is not their substances or variants or anything else, but the fact that people who use them have generally addictive personalities, and somehow being already addicted to some form of drug kind of lightens the 'impact' of starting doing other, harder drugs. We could talk about this for days, but this is just my opinion.