An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Tobacco slowly becoming illegal?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by bluedressed, Jan 21, 2015.

1. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

On the news, we have heard today about how some neighbourghs could rule out in court when smokers would be allowed to smoke on their balconies and when not, if the rest of the building was inconvenienced by the smoke it could produce. After the ban on smoking indoors in public places and not smoking in outdoor public places such as big bus stations (where there are spots designed for smoking, but the rest is not allowed), do you think that there will be slowly coming a time where it is mostly illegal to smoke except in very few select places? It looks headed that way -- we've even heard stories about people getting told they could not smoke in their apartment because the other residents of the apartment complex had a problem with it.

Do you think this is a good thing? How long do you think it would take before most of the "smokers privileges" disappear?
    rabst likes this.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Before I quit smoking, I would have been highly annoyed by this, but I am kind of rooting for it now. If only everyone could quit smoking and feel the health benefits from it. I feel great after a month of not smoking and would totally help anyone else out that wished to quit. Now that I do not smoke, I can see why everyone always complains about people who do smoke. It is starting to smell real bad to me, and it burns my nose when I smell someone else's smoke.
    rabst likes this.
  3. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

My apartment's previous owners had signs up on the outside of buildings stating where the tenants could smoke. It had to be at least 100 feet from anyone's door. This meant people could only smoke in the parking lot, their cars or far in the back. But even in the back, there was a park for the kids, and that probably would have looked bad on their part. I don't smoke, but it seemed a bit excessive. The new owners did away with this rule.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

It wouldn't surprise me if this is leading to an outright ban of tobacco all together, you're right, it certainly does seem headed that way. Kind of ironic isn't it? Marijuana is being legalized all over the place while tobacco is being outlawed. A way of making medicinal marijuana more appropriate whilst deterring people from smoking it perhaps?
  5. bluedressed

This! Exactly this. Before my boyfriend really quit smoking, he was always complaining about the restrictions, how this was "horning on freedom" or something, and just annoying, and how it was bad for businesses and how "if you don't smoke, just go some place else or in a different corner of the restaurant" and how it was ridiculous that because some people did not like it, they could force a whole group of people not to do it.

Now that he stopped, he does not have this "anger" anymore, and he sees how much the smoke troubles me when we're in a place with smokers -- how I cough and how my eyes start to burn, and he can finally have enough empathy to realize that it was never about "taking away the rights of smoker", but about protecting a portion of the population. I'm glad for that.

I hate the smoke of tobacco. And I know marijuana is said to be "smelly", but I honestly don't mind the smell so much. Reminds me of sage, in a way. Also, second hand smoking of marijuana is not toxic, and the smoking itself isn't as dangerous. It would make sense that the legalized thing to smoke would be weed, really.
  6. DTracy3

DTracy3 Active Contributor

Oh that's so terrible :p That's why they say that the worst non-smokers are these that smoked before ;)

I agree with the ban on cigarettes in places like restaurants since there is food, but I thin overall they are becoming way to strict against tobacco. I understand that it's unhealthy and all but if they continue like this it's really feeling like it's becoming illegal.
  7. ryan0039

ryan0039 Active Contributor

It's such a huge industry, that's really the only reason that it's as active as it is now. I think it will be better for the health of many, many people if it stops, but it will take a while if that does happen.
    I think that fighting against teen smoking will reduce the overall numbers of people who do it for most of their lifetime and discourage that it's an acceptable thing to do.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I do think it will be what's going to happen in the future. I'm a smoker myself and I personally wouldn't mind these rules even if it comes as an inconvenience for me. As long as they don't ban cigarettes themselves as I don't believe in that type of supposed solution, I could also understand that smoking is not pleasant for everyone so I personally am willing to sacrifice my convenience.
  9. Jybrael

Jybrael Member

I believe it will eventually happen but for now the major tobacco companies are paying millions of dollars in taxes to governments and I highly doubt that they would want to risk losing all that money. Secondly the more you try to turn something illegal in my opinion the more an individual will try to go for it and abuse it. The only reason I ended up picked up smoking was because I was always told its bad for me..I shouldn't try it and eventually the rebellious side of me won out and I ended up smoking. Now it has led me here. I think instead of just banning them they should be properly educating people..especially children on the negative effects of the products...this way at least a majority of them will make the right choices and stay away from them.
  10. DTracy3

I know cigarettes aren't healthy and all, but aren't they way less harmful than alcohol? I believe if making cigarettes illegal, alcohol should logically seen been illegal too. I just wonder when this would stop. After forbidding cigarettes, what would stop people from stopping other softer drugs like coffee. I believe that there are enough restriction on cigarettes nowadays then a non-smoker shouldn't be bothered by cigarettes anymore.
  11. Mackmax

Mackmax Active Contributor

Alcohol was once illegal, and it failed miserably. If you look up Prohibition, you will see. The effects Prohibition had on society and the economy were devastating, and I'm sure the government does not want to repeat this again. Tobacco doesn't have as big of a fan base as alcohol. Everyone knows tobacco is nothing but deadly, whereas alcohol is really only harmful if abused, and most people are able to control themselves.
    Coffee will never become banned. Just like alcohol, coffee has a much bigger fan base than tobacco, and coffee isn't nearly as harmful. Nobody gets lung cancer or brain tumors from drinking coffee.
  12. DTracy3

I totally agree that coffee and alcohol can't be illegal, but with alcohol I feel like the main reason is simply because it more socially accepted then tobacco is. Even if not abused, alcohol is still unhealthy just like cigarettes are. The thing I don't like about all the anti-tobacco propaganda is simply that sometimes I feel like smokers are the group of people that you can discriminate openly and getting support for it. I know this may sounds a little harsh, but sometimes I just fell that it comes a little across like that.
  13. bluedressed

To be fair, they might get a lot of frustration and all from the rest of the population, but I'm not sure this is an unfair sort of discrimination. When you look at it: drug users in general get a lot of stereotypes, prejudices, discrimination and insults, being seen many times as criminals and lowlifes, even those who never harmed anyone (except probably themselves, though not always). Smokers? Smokers, if their smoke comes in contact with anyone else, they harm these people. Not just by inconveniencing, but by polluting the air.

On comparison, drunk people might cause a lot of messes or might make some trouble, but usually it's immediate and you can blame them directly for it. Smokers, they just gradually make people sick; to me, it's normal that they get then some general, vague frustration directed at them.

I just think it's unfair to direct it JUST at them; we should be pissed at polluting industries and bad companies, too!
  14. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

While I can understand certain places having laws against smoking on the property, I don't think that tobacco will ever become illegal, nor do I think that it should become illegal. If there is anything that we've learned from prohibition, it's that it doesn't work. It never has and it never will. If you make tobacco illegal, you will only open up a tobacco black market and all of the negatives that come with it, which is exactly what people are trying to avoid by ending cannabis prohibition.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I don't think cigarettes will ever become illegal because the government does get a lot of tax money out of the deal, same with alcohol. If you ever get a chance to see the actual tax you pay per pack it is crazy. Ecigs seem to be a big thing though, so maybe traditional cigarettes will phase out eventually.
  16. DTracy3

That's true. If both would become illegal tomorrow, it would totally shake up the economy, it just wouldn't be prepared for it^^
  17. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

I really wouldn't mind tobacco becoming illegal. As it happens there's a shop at the my apartment block's ground level and the ladies working there often smoke in front of the shop and if my windows are open I can smell the smoke inside my apartment despite living on the 3rd floor. It's really annoying.
  18. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

It would be pretty interesting if tobacco became illegal. I think that that would lead to a lot more substance becoming illegal as well. I don't see why they would do that after having it legal for so many years but you never know.
  19. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I seriously doubt it will ever become outlawed completely also. The fact is that in countries such as the UK, most of the money you pay for cigarettes or tobacco is actually tax and not for the product or packaging. How would they make up for the incredible amount of loss in taxes if they made smoking illegal? They wouldn't be able to.
  20. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

My view is that bad habits are not covered by your constitutional rights. I don't smoke, but I drink a lot. I know I can only drink in a handful of places, like a bar or restaurant, or a private home. If I step outside those doors drunk, I know full-well I could end up in jail for public intoxication. It is about the same with cigarettes. The only difference is you don't go to jail if you cross that line. Yes, you could get a fine, and you could get an owner of an establishment in trouble, but it's not a big difference in it's limitations.