An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Today is 4/20 and I've never been so happy to be free

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by tckc, Apr 20, 2015.

1. tckc

tckc Member

I'm in my third year of recovery, and for the first time I am truly very happy not to be high on April 20th.

When I started getting clean/sober, it was mostly just about repairing damages in my life. I thought life would seriously become so boring and terrible, but life was already so horrible that I figured it could not be much worse.

And for a while, my recovery was based mostly in fear. I had managed to find some stability and self-love and I was afraid that if I went back out, then I would lose everything again.

But now, I'm at a point where I am starting to deeply appreciate the feeling of life. I feel a calmness and serenity for a few minutes on most days, and those few minutes are so much more enjoyable than any drug was. Three years ago, I could never have believed such a thing.

So, what I'm trying to share is that today is 4/20 and I don't feel sorry for my sober self even a little bit. It feels so amazing. Thanks for letting me share!
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  2. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

Congratulations to you. I really love that you have found clarity. I really enjoy that you don't feel sorry for yourself. People always seem to feel like they are missing out on something when they get sober. Like all of the sudden life stops. Life does not stop, in fact it begins. Like you said you are able to appreciate the feeling of life.
    Keep up the good work and never give up!
    tckc likes this.
  3. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I love your attitude! I think many people have the same sentiments as you about beating an addiction and living the sober life - that things will be boring - but really I think the opposite is true. You get to feel the world as it truly is...the ups and the downs, without the haze that addiction gives. Thanks for sharing your story, and radiating such positive vibes!
    tckc likes this.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Congratulations on such a fantastic achievement. I'm so happy for you. Three years down and now you have a lifetime of sobriety to see you through.
    tckc likes this.
  5. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

Congratulations! 4/20 does bring up a lot of crazy memories. I'm sure you were tempted to smoke up and toke up. I know I was. I mean, my Facebook news feed was full of my friends inviting me somewhere to partake. Just stay strong my friend.
    tckc likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Congratulations, that really is some achievement. What's better is that you've actually managed to hit that anniversary and you've seen it as a milestone and not an excuse to have one last bing.

I think a lot of people fall into that trap, they think I've been clean for so long now I can celebrate and it won't affect me.
    tckc likes this.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Congratulations and keep it up!
    So nice to read about your story and you can also inspire others telling here that having a clean life is a happy life.
    tckc likes this.
  8. tckc

tckc Member

Thanks so much for all of the love, guys! How awesome!

I was pretty nervous about posting this because it felt like I was opening up about something so personal to a bunch of random strangers, haha. I wasn't sure what the reactions would be like. I guess though that this is another example of something I have gained in recovery. I'm starting to have enough confidence to show my true self, regardless of the potential consequences. Miracles really do seem to be happening. :D

Thanks again for the support!
  9. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

Good for you! Keep at it! The world needs people like you encouraging that it's possible to be sober and recover!
    tckc likes this.
  10. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

Congratulations! It is not easy to recover from an addiction but it's true that nothing is impossible. Always be on that vibe and stay away from people who will make you lose yourself.
    tckc likes this.
  11. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Woohoo!! @tckc I am rejoicing with you, VERY MUCH! Thank you for sharing your story. You are amazing! You are right about learning to love yourself in the most saving way. You are an inspiration. An Encourager to many of us and our our friends here.

I look forward to seeing you more @tckc :)
    tckc likes this.
  12. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Congratulations! Not everyone can get rid of drugs this easily, and you managing to do this is to be truly appreciated.
    In fact, to that specific date, many people were concerned more about getting drunk and high on crack. It's not even related to marijuana anymore, it's only a cliche date, which is why I don't attend these supposedly "unharmful" and "peaceful" events anymore.
    tckc likes this.
  13. johnny

johnny Member

You should be very happy with yourself. It's a big achievement to be so strong through your recovery on a day like 4/20 when we all know too well that temptations abound. Stay strong through the good and bad and just stick with it!
    tckc likes this.
  14. westmixxin

westmixxin Active Contributor

keeping up with your sobriety is definitely not something that easily done. The majority of people eventually fall off because it's just too hard to fight the temptation. The individual who has the willpower and the screen to pick their health and their family first is someone who truly should be respected and commended.