An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Today is the start of the rest of your life!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by tasha, Nov 28, 2014.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Give yourself a big clap and cheer because if you are on the boards talking about your addiction and finding ways to keep you sober, then you are already half way there!
    After you have estsblished that you have a problem and that you need help, you receive help and then go out into the big bad world again, there is a secret to follow;
    Take each day one at a time
    You have the opportunity to start over with a brand new life and a second chance to make things go the right way
    Give your future a chance by living your life with the new found strength and faith to do wonderful things with your life.
    It can be done! You can achieve absolutely anything now because you have survived the biggest hurdle anyone could ever go through. If you can make it through that then you can make it through anything.
  2. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

This is certainly encouraging. Sometimes, all we need as humans is a little encouragement and support. This has given me a better perspective on life, as I have been feeling particularly down today. I hope others can find these words encouraging and find the strength needed to keep moving forward and looking for a brighter day and a better future.
  3. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Change is but a moment away, but it's restricted from our experiences and memories of traumas and dramas we aren't easy to let go of. Also, the environment a human toils at is very detrimental to their way of being hopeful. Then again, I'm writing like most of the people who aren't willing to change because they make up excuses for every opportunity to change - hence I say, there is nothing that is ever the same: not yesterday, nor today, or tomorrow; only you believe things should stay the same.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Most people fail to even start addressing their addiction issues because well . . . they'll do it tomorrow or at some later, future date.
    The best way, I agree with the OP, is to start working an overcoming an addiction the moment you realize it is a problem and keep fighting every other day rather than setting unrealistic goals [like I'll stay sober for year"] which you might find hard to attain.
  5. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Acknowledgement of one's action and the negative effects is the first step to rehabilitation. The downfall of many is that they tend not to realize how harmful their actions are. Everyone here is off to a great start as this is a supporting community, helping each other to get clean, stay clean and also help friends and family to do the same.
  6. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

I feel the best way to beat addiction (especially in the beginning) is to divide time into very small increments. Be proud that you didn't backslide in the last hour. Do this every hour if need be. Then down the line you can start telling yourself you stayed clean yesterday, then it will be two days, and so on. Giving yourself this encouragement will almost certainly keep you moving forward. If you look it negatively, such as, "how will I get through this day?", you are more apt to fail.
  7. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Yeah, I think most people have the mistake of trying to find magic silver billets to solve their problems instead of realizing that bigger victories are just an accumulation of stacks of smaller ones. There really isn't one answer to all the problems but just having the right mindset to get you little achievements everyday will eventually amount to a lot.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is a good point. Nice post. I was just thinking how I feel like I've been reborn again. Mine is more like recovering from something different than drug addiction. But I've been thinking how it's felt like a total reset. I was living in heavy pollution and a large city. Did a long detox last spring for quite some time and have had a chance to recharge. It just feels like I've gone back to day 1, as an adult, re-born. Like a new lease on life. I've figured out some things that I really never thought would change, ever. I'm seeing some serious resets physically. It's astonishing what you uncover when you look more closely.