An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Too much eating!

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by 003, Feb 2, 2015.

1. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

I dont get that upset but I eat too. When Im upset or down I turn to sweets. I have a big sweet tooth but I would stronhly suggest getting help in your case.
  2. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I always swapped out eating for my addictions. It was an interchangeable addiction really. If I wasn't hooked on drinking then I was binge eating. If I wasn't binge eating then I was drinking. I would always hurt myself some way. Just know that you don't have to use eating to harm yourself. Use it to nourish your body instead.
  3. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Now that's odd. Most people would rather light a cigarette when they're irate. You seem to be taking the opposite approach. Food could be as bad as smoking if the daily intake is not carefully distributed throughout the meals. Not being able to negate the excess calories is what people like calling "being fat". I hope that you're taking this into consideration, and exercise the right amount every day. You wouldn't want to deal with weight problems, too.
  4. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

Oh yeah, I know how that goes. For me it's when my anxiety gets really bad. I would eat hoping to make the "butterflies" in my tummy ease up. It took a lot of will power and I had to keep telling myself, "just give it a few minutes!" And try to distract myself. Good luck!
  5. When I quit drinking and was forced to stay home in the evenings all I had to do was eat. Eventually I realized that my eating was out of control and turned to cigarettes instead - not a good plan. Eventually I realized that I had to find an outlet for my nervous energy and joined a 24 hour gym. If there is a gym like mine in your area they are a great way to blow off some steam and do something good for your body at the same time!
  6. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

I can relate here for a couple of different reasons. 1. I am bipolar and when the depression gets really bad I have what I call "Fat Fiestas" then feel horrible for doing it. Here is what I did to combat that; I switched out chocolate for baked apples or dehydrated bananas since they are both sweet when cooked so that kind of helps with the sweet tooth problem but when it comes to real foods just try and change the fatty foods with something healthy.

2. When I quit using I gained 40lbs because I developed "Hand-To-Mouth" disease. You know the "I am only going to have one chip" saying. After gaining all this weight I just switched the fatty for the healthy then I can eat just about whenever I want. I know veggies and fruits are not for everyone and it takes time to get used to them. In the end though you still eat but what your eating has changed. Try whatever food you like the best aside from junk food and go for it. If you still need more help there are plenty of agencies out there to obtain help from.
  7. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

Sometimes when I'm stressed I will turn to food to calm me down. I am currently trying not to give into those urges to go eat when I'm upset. I will go listen to music and try to calm down. Making minor changes is helping me right now.
  8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

This would definitely help with your binging. Going straight to the source is most likely the most lucrative option that there is.
  9. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I also struggle with that, as well. My go to foods are fast foods and off-brand Nutella. I have to either eat healthy now or I just have to not think about my struggles and think positively in order to get that temptation off of my mind.
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think binge eating is one of the bad coping mechanisms that doesn't really seem to help anyone. As for me, whenever I feel depressed, my appetite also decreases. So I rarely eat when I feel lonely, I just isolate myself and listen to really sad music. Anyway, I think you should really seek some professional help. Your case is actually pretty serious.
  11. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

I would strongly advised getting professional help as eating is a very difficult situation because you can't not eat and people don't always understand how dangerous an addiction to food can be. it is one of those things that kind of sneaks under the radar and causes long term health problems.
  12. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I like food but let say this do you keep count of all your calories that you intake? If are eating that much then you really need to go to the doctor. You could be going through depression or just really stressed.
  13. mibi

mibi Member

Suicide is never the answer believe me, think about everyone in your life and how devastated they are going to feel. I go through hard times that make me feel like I can't go on but I always hold on to the hope that things would get better. I hope you feel better. Best of luck.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Hmmm the last post for 003 was May. If you happen to see this now. Smoking is an appetite suppressant first of all. You will need to detox that junk before your appetite will be normal. What you eat makes a big difference. Real healthy foods like fruits and vegetables. Not processed crap with empty calories that increase your appetite. Some may even have chemicals related to suicidal waves. I think some coffees do that to you.
    You can eat as much fruit as you want and not feel like it's binging. Sweet potatoes or any kind of potatoes is good to eat in large amounts. Big salads and so forth. Bad binging is of course sitting down and eating a pint of Hagen Daz and wise potato chips or lots of bread.
  15. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I can relate, when I'm feeling sad, happy or I have some spare time I love eating junk food, it feels like a way to get rid of all the bad things that happened me through the week, I don't suffer from overweight and I'm actually a really skinny guy but I know that I need to change those habits because even if I don't really see it, It's not healthy and it's obviously not the best thing for me to do. I will change that progressively.
  16. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

I used to do the same thing, because of my depression but mostly because of my boredom. Can you find something to do as an alternative when you feel the urge to keep eating? Go on a walk or something that will take your mind off of it.
  17. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

The problem is not that you overeat. The problem has more to do with it you being upset. You have to find away to correct your level of tolerance.
  18. LinB

LinB Senior Contributor

You are not overweight because you have a very good metabolism. Nevertheless, like you said you have to make sure that you manage your diet properly. There are things that happen on the inside that don't necessarily show on the outside. I could very well one day get up and fall ill, and die. The doctors would check me and find out its high cholesterol, but yet I am Skinny.
  19. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I know we have our comfort foods when things get rough. Though you might want to seek some help as well. Your body is saying one thing but the mind says something else. I have been there when these two things are at battle with each other and it can be hard. Atlea st you are being open enough to talk about it. Please keep us posted on how your day goes and what is going on with your binges.
  20. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I find that stress can cause me to overeat sometimes at late hours in the night or in the wee hours of the morning. I wonder how 003 so many months down the road. It always saddens me when people so hopeless. I pray 003 found some relief and took some of advice given here.