An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Too much eating!

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by 003, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Meds

Meds Active Contributor

Obesity or excessive eating could get you killed Pal. Just take it easy, alright? Food isn't the only thing that can give you solace. I think that you can think of some better option.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

When feeling the need to unwind while some things like eating or using drugs might appear to momentarily give you some relief that fades pretty fast and before long you'll back where you started. It has been mentioned here but must do so again because it certainly is very helpful. Learn mindful meditation. Any time you'll feel low you'll have something that will help you get through and this isn't a bandaid solution. It will give you the strength to accept the things you won't change or motivate you to change the things you can.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I do the very same thing, I did it yesterday like I do it every Saturday. But today I am going to reduce my caloric consumption and exercise for 30 minutes, that should help me feel better about myself. I suggest you to try and do the same. I know is not easy, but binge eating is something I do once a week! After that I try to eat as clean as possible, you could try the same :) Just try to also log your food intake, that also helps me to stay more mindful of what I actually eat. It will surely helpful as well, but please, be honest with yourself when logging your meals, otherwise this won't work.
  4. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

That's serious. Your thoughts of suicide are concerning, but you reached out to us have you reached out to others in your life? Thoughts of suicide can strike anyone, and often you cannot "will" yourself out of it.
    I strongly suggest you reach out to people in your life and as well reach out to resources to help you.
    You are important and your life is valuable, please please by the grace of God you can survive if you talk to the right people or let the people in your life know how you feel.
  5. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is very unhealthy. Having a well balanced healthy diet helps me feel better when I'm feeling it isn't one of my best days. It could be all that smoking and eating bad that might be depressing you. Why not try eating healthy and working out when you feel depressed. You could always replace bad habits with good ones and see how that works.
  6. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

Do you not do the same thing when you are not upset? Are there any other things that can distract you from binge eating and smoking, say any hobbies or friends? I'm glad that you had the courage to put this up, shows that you want help and are willing to be helped.
  7. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

Thoughts of suicide can strike anyone, and often you cannot "will" yourself out of it.
    I strongly suggest you reach out to people in your life and as well reach out to resources to help you.
    You are important and your life is valuable, please please by the grace of God you can survive if you talk to the right people or let the people in your life know how you feel.
  8. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

This is a very serious case. You may need to speak to a professional counselor or psychologist about these tendencies. I always never liked hearing someone saying that they want to kill themselves. I've heard it ever too often and seen it fulfilled subsequently.
  9. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

I agree with this that you have begun to outline. Maybe turning to spirituality and worship could solve the problem.
  10. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

It is common for people to eat to feel comforted when something affects them negatively. Many people do this. Once you are aware of what affects you, you can try and change it. However binge eating is a little more serious. You should join a group that have the same issues or find a treatment center as this can lead to serious problems. Please consider getting help.
  11. Chriswriter

Chriswriter Member

Do you have a friend you can confide in? This would be very useful. It's so sad you're going through this and you certainly need help. Binge eating is something I went through when I quit drinking. It's the bodies effort to replace the prior addiction with something else. Bingeing can be harder to overcome than a day to day addiction because it's origins a less easy to discover. Seek out friends and family and may god be with you.
  12. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've had moments like this too where I've battled with binge eating, and it has coincided with emotionally out of control moments and big life changes. I think a big part of managing it for me is being aware of the triggers and also trying to steer clear of keeping large amounts of binge-easy foods in the house.
  13. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

You need to go to the root of the problem first. Why are you binge eating or even binge smoking? Do you have some problem that needs to be addressed first? Seek a counsellor first and try to work out your issues. It is important to seek support from other people at this time as you have some depressive thoughts and issues that need to be resolved. After that, you can try to resolve your binge eating and smoking. Try other alternatives. Like eating fruits instead of junk foods. With smoking, try cutting down your sticks per day if you can.
  14. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

Sometimes even when we have discerned that our stomachs are leading in that direction, it's as if we are helpless. But the wise thing to do indeed is to keep food in the house that you would normally have to cook before having. No fast foods or snacks.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  15. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

Yeah, and they could even try fasting. It might be hard the first 2 days, but the body has its way of adjusting.
  16. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Yes, that's absolutely what I have to do sometimes! I'm better at controlling it these days but it's always better in my opinion to have more nutritious foods that require cooking/can't just be consumed in a split second because then I have to consciously think before eating, rather than just doing it mindlessly.
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think a lot of people can relate to the OP in the way that when things go wrong it's very easy to let things get to us and look for a crutch to lean on. That could be anything from overeating, to smoking or taking drugs.

The key thing for me here us to try and find a way how to stop the mood swings. Trying to stay level and not get overly excited if things go right, and don't go bouncing off the walls when things go wrong.
    Coolkidhere likes this.
  18. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

That is really our tendency as human beings, we get super emotional when things go right or even when they go wrong. And when we get too emotional, we tend to become irrational. We stop thinking and we let our EMOTIONS decide for ourselves. Which can be a recipe for a disaster in the end. So yes, we should try to stay calm and relax. Feel the emotion then let it go. Do not hold on into it for too long or else you will make rash decisions that you will regret.