An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Too old to use Meth?!?

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by MaryMary, May 6, 2018.

1. MaryMary

MaryMary Member

My husband is in his 60's and smokes meth and denys it. He has been arrested for possession, he has gone to jail for domestic violence and has a short fuse. I am hopeful he will quit but if you can't be honest about using...leaves me feeling hopeless. His pipe..re for pot smells like gasoline. Internet says meth smells.like gasoline. Last month his clothes reeked of gas smell. Now I think he not only smokes it ... he makes it.
    I feel like a detective always..piecing the puzzles together.
    It's like he has another life away from home and he s very secretive.
    When questioned ... In his defense he yells very loud and starts a fight. So I walk on glass.
    I don't know what to do.
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Wow 60,i personally think any meth use is bad.But what is to young to start meth?I was 6 year's old though it was prescription Ritalin it indeed is the same thing i found out later in life when i tried illegal meth.My worry is prescription like Adderall-ritalin are very common in today's youth and from personal experience it creates a society prone to meth abuse.Im actively seeking information on studies for both and specifically the effects these prescription have during puberty again in my personal experience the damage is virtually irreversible and it takes endless searching for answers to be able to move forward in a positive way.I apologize i went off track a bit there,sometimes reading these thing's make me very emotional.But i pray you get help for YOU,and take care of YOU first and i pray your husband gets the help he needs as you for no reason should have to deal with any type of abuse period,especially from your spouse.Stay Strong and God Bless you Both
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@MaryMary hello and welcome. thanks for reaching out. i'm sorry you're having to go through this with your husband. it's horrible to have to walk on egg shells... and you never deserve or should put up with any kind of abuse...

you have several options... if you're able to get to a counselor, i'd suggest doing that to share with a professional who can help you sort out your options. there's also support groups that can be helpful, like Narcotics or Codependents Anonymous. You can attend, get a sponsor, and work their program... has helped many loved ones of addicts cope with the whole addiction scenario....and has helped some grow strong enough to leave toxic relationships.

sounds like he's not willing to discuss this with you or make any attempts to reach out for help. al-anon teaches "you didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it." but you can do some things on your end that can help you NOT go crazy or have to put up with emotional or physical abuse.

make sense?
    True concern likes this.
  4. MaryMary

MaryMary Member

Thank you for your reply. We have a problem with the FDA....all these medications have side effects. I am currently weaning off perscription maintenance drugs. I found myself taking 20 pills a day. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis. . . was given Lyrica, Cymbalta and Celebrex all make you dependent. I went through mean withdrawals and finally off of them. Of course this doesn't help with the pain but sure beats being dependent. Medical insurance isn't reliable and these drugs cost hundreds of dollars a month. Its better to get off on your own time rather than jonesing because you don't have anymore medication. We need to be in control with our medications ... doctors prescribe medications that have major side effects and aren't happy when they are questioned and refuse.
    So......
    I have a problem people that choose to consume meth...its like pulling the trigger and offing yourself. You lose control. This addiction is self inflected and your killing yourself. And I am amazed that middle aged adults are tangled in this web...knowing this drug takes over your body and chooses to smoke this!
    I support pot...I have been able to get off pills with the help of this herb. I have anxiety and depression and the medication I was prescribed medication that made me so passive and not clear headed. I also have insomnia and was taking 8 pills to sleep...never abused the drugs but had to think what would happen if I no longer had prescription coverage. One pill for 30 days was $350!
    We need to take control of our lives and make better choices.
    I hope people who are addicted will listen to someone who is there for them and want to help them overcome this addiction. Not everyone is strong but rely on the strength of someone who is there for you.
    I do know YOU HAVE TO WANT TO CHANGE TO MAKE IT HAPPEN.
    Dominica and True concern like this.
  5. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Very well said @MaryMary .I support your stance and agree with your views.You are incredibly strong and wise.Take Care and God Bless
    Dominica likes this.
  6. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@MaryMary yes, i agree with some of your points. i'm so glad you are doing better......