An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Took a low paying job / how to cope

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Uptoolate, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Uptoolate

Uptoolate Member

I am 48 years old and nearing 3 months sober from alcohol and benzos.
    I have spent the last 10 years in on and off active addiction. As a result I have a very sketchy work history over that time. I have a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration. I’m fresh out of treatment and just took a job at a major grocery retailer paying only $13/hr. I want to earn more of course, but I feel that I should stick with this to see if I can move up quickly. I need to build up time on the job to improve my resume. They started me out as part time and I’m hoping for full time soon. I’m grateful to just have any job at all, but I’m feeling depressed because my pay is so low. It’s not yet enough to live on.
    I understand the need for one day at a time and all, but I’m hoping someone can help me to know some ways to accept and cope with being down about my low pay. Thank you.
  2. True concern

True concern Moderator

Think of all the people who would almost kill to make 10$ an hour right now.Think of all the people who would almost kill just to have a job that pays anything at all.Now try to realize how blessed you truly are and work hard to achieve the goals you have currently in place for yourself.I hope and pray this lifts your spirits a little bit.
    Stay Strong and God Bless you
  3. Uptoolate

Uptoolate Member

Thank you and God bless you too.
    True concern likes this.